Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I work for #2 biggest company in the world

Hi all,

I need an advice from the right people (yes mmo champion has the right people) to help with my dilemma. I work for 2nd largest drug company in the world, entry level in research job but pays well. Recently I received an offer for a very high position (director level) with 20 % higher pay, BUT the company is a small start up (100 people). My questions: Does risk/benefit warrant going from a major leader to a small start up? I know upsides can be huge, but downside is that I can be without a job if the company bankrupts.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do it. Get the positional experience; that's worth a ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Leave on good terms, go get the experience, if the new job bombs take your experience back to job 1 and profit.

Hmm yea you are definitely saying the same thing as many people I know.... Scary but in the long run it could benefit me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warrdaddy View Post
    Hi all,

I need an advice from the right people (yes mmo champion has the right people) to help with my dilemma. I work for 2nd largest drug company in the world, entry level in research job but pays well. Recently I received an offer for a very high position (director level) with 20 % higher pay, BUT the company is a small start up (100 people). My questions: Does risk/benefit warrant going from a major leader to a small start up? I know upsides can be huge, but downside is that I can be without a job if the company bankrupts.

Thoughts?
    Generally yes. Even if the company bankrupts, you've held a higher position with higher pay and higher title, which makes it easier to leverage all those things for a better job in the future.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leave for Job 2.

Working for the big name is all good and well, many people do it mostly to get that on their CV then fish for bigger roles, which is what you should be doing right now.

Get some better experience in your CV while with the smaller firm, and a lot of the time, people prefer to stay with the smaller firm afterwards as the progression is much more straight forward and generally faster (if they like you). And many people work their way up very well this way.

If you still prefer working for big names, now by this point you have both working in big name and working as a decent position in your CV, time to find a challenging position in a big name.

I'd take it, worst case you know you can probably get rehired at your old company as long as you leave professionally, or the 3rd largest might even snap you up in that case as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    off topic: so i googled #2 biggest company and got https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_by_revenue where i was very surprised to learn that pharmaceuticals was no where near the top of the list! i expected there to be at least one in the top5.. Also id like to see this list updated since the big oil crash, as most of the companies listed are Oil & Gas.

on topic: If you dont take a chance you will never know. You could be stuck in that entry level research position for the next 20 years while the company you passed up gets huge. But at the same time, taking that chance, you could end up with some thing that crumbles in two years. I guess the smart move would be to leave the current company positively and hope if you have to go back that they will take you back or a similar company will pick you up.

Im sure there is a bunch of people out there that laughed at Bill Gates and passed on the positions he offered them back in the 80s. Now the people that took that chance are literally rolling in the dough. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    off topic: so i googled #2 biggest company and got https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_by_revenue where i was very surprised to learn that pharmaceuticals was no where near the top of the list! i expected there to be at least one in the top5.. Also id like to see this list updated since the big oil crash, as most of the companies listed are Oil & Gas.

on topic: If you dont take a chance you will never know. You could be stuck in that entry level research position for the next 20 years while the company you passed up gets huge. But at the same time, taking that chance, you could end up with some thing that crumbles in two years. I guess the smart move would be to leave the current company positively and hope if you have to go back that they will take you back or a similar company will pick you up.

Im sure there is a bunch of people out there that laughed at Bill Gates and passed on the positions he offered them back in the 80s. Now the people that took that chance are literally rolling in the dough. Literally.

Very true but like the others have pointed out, even if company doesn't do well and bankrupts, experience stays.

Take the director's position. It will be pay dividends in the future.

As other people have been quick to point out, you can use your new position as leverage against different job offers in the future. If you're serious about joining a small biotech/pharma company, look for a stock options program if you believe in their work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. This is what I came to say.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Hi all,

Thoughts?
    100% go for it. It's better for you on the short term (higher pay) and on the long term (experience on a high position). Of course there is some amount of risk, but if you always take no risks whatsoever you're going to miss out on great opportunities.

Expect that you'll need to work more and harder for the start up company. Make sure you leave professionally from your current position, and any position in general; burning bridges or being an ass in these cases can and often times will bite you in the ass later.

Lots to consider about the startup life style. Coming from someone that works in Silicon Valley, its been a major consideration for me. Startups want their pound of flesh, are you up to it? Do you feel you are competent enough for the job, the company's and ultimately your success could count on it.

Hi all,

Thoughts?
    Changing companies is very common, and very often the way to progress your career. Experience in a role like the one offered you, will propel you to another job should that company sink. Especially in a field that is hiring.

Hi all,

Thoughts?
    Entry to director and only 20% pay jump? Sounds grossly underpaid. Within my company that difference is like 100% =P

But the title may be worth the risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    Lots to consider about the startup life style. Coming from someone that works in Silicon Valley, its been a major consideration for me. Startups want their pound of flesh, are you up to it? Do you feel you are competent enough for the job, the company's and ultimately your success could count on it.
    Here is the thing, i am young (relatively) and can work hard, but I know it isn't a job like in giant company where there is a lot of dead weight, I never worked for a start up before and this transition does worry me.

I'm more interested in your experience actually? How do you feel about start ups? Is it worth it compared to some of the top ten companies in the field?

Let's see... Entry level to director? Sounds like quite the leap...
    Entry
    Lead
    Manager
    Director

Small start up? 100 people?
    More like a size 6 company which is 100-399 people...

Here is the thing, i am young (relatively) and can work hard, but I know it isn't a job like in giant company where there is a lot of dead weight, I never worked for a start up before and this transition does worry me.

I'm more interested in your experience actually? How do you feel about start ups? Is it worth it compared to some of the top ten companies in the field?
    Usually the perks of a large company over the smaller ones are the benefits. If you're young and healthy, benefits may not be that important to you. As you get older, it is nice to have those benefits.

Deleted
    So you work for Pfizer?