Thread: Naps

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Naps

Do you take naps frequently? Personally I find myself absolutely dead after loads of work/school/studies and with only ever running on 3-4 hours of "real sleep" a night I sometimes come home and just crash for a bit. The problem is though I can't find that sweet spot of just long enough to refresh you but not too long to make you dread having to be awake again.

How long are yours if you do nap? Currently I limit myself to an hour but I feel like 30-45 minutes might help with the dilemma of not feeling rested. At least momentarily.

Nope. I almost always wake up in worse condition. Headache, hearing things really loudly, not feeling refreshed at all. So I avoid them if I can fight them.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I nap on Sundays once my chores are done. I get up around 5am get all my stuff done and crawl back into bed around 11am for a 2-3 hour nap. It's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Do you take naps frequently? Personally I find myself absolutely dead after loads of work/school/studies and with only ever running on 3-4 hours of "real sleep" a night I sometimes come home and just crash for a bit. The problem is though I can't find that sweet spot of just long enough to refresh you but not too long to make you dread having to be awake again.

How long are yours if you do nap? Currently I limit myself to an hour but I feel like 30-45 minutes might help with the dilemma of not feeling rested. At least momentarily.
    That hour would be better served just tacked on to your normal sleep IMO.

Edit: I've napped before. I try not to do it because it fucks with my actual sleep.

Had a nap earlier. It was fantastic.

Naps are for lazy people.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    3-4 hours of 'real sleep' at night? Maybe you should try sleeping longer at night. 7-8 hours tends to be the best recommended to shoot for.

I've been dubbed a "professional napper" before because of how much I take naps. Take one just about every day, either after work or in the late afternoon. Not to long, but it helps freshen things up a bit. Then there are other days where I only get a few hours of sleep and end up crashing for 4 hour naps. Not fun trying to get to bed at night on those days lol.

I like naps after long runs.

i try not to. i always feel weird when i wake up from a nap, all jittery and out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    3-4 hours of 'real sleep' at night? Maybe you should try sleeping longer at night. 7-8 hours tends to be the best recommended to shoot for.
    Ideally yes but I'm taking 19 credits of advanced courses and between work and lectures I use my time at home to study. And of course... fit an hour of gaming in because I don't want to be an adult :'(

When I was unmedicated for my bipolar disorder because I had no energy to get through the day I did quite often. That was a few years ago and my moods are mostly stable now. I only nap occasionally on the weekends now.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I keep a pillow in my car.

It beats getting horribly addicted to caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Naps are for lazy people.
    Caffeine overdose is for people who want to be constantly stressed, twitchy, irritable, sleep-deprived and dead young by a heart attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I never set an alarm for a nap. The nap knows when it's over, so I just let it do its thing.
    I complete agree with this. Except for the few times I need to be up by a certain time.

OT: I've read from a couple different sources, one being popsci, that if you drink a cup of coffee then take a 30-45 min nap, you'll wake up just in time for the caffeine to kick in. I've tried it a couple times, but I prefer to take 1-3 hour naps.

No I just sleep if I am tired.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Almost every day. Right after I eat supper and have a glass of wine. Have no issues at all sleeping 7 hrs or so that night ether. I feel and function the best that way.

In case you didn't know, your sleep patterns roughly follow an hour and a half cycle. if you wake up outside this window your will feel like crap when you wake up(one of the reasons I never use an alarm clock). Naps are pretty crap for this. You should really be getting proper sleep, it is one of the best and most fundamental things you can do for your health. Incidentally sleep also helps memory functions, which is also rather fundamental to studying wouldn't you say? 4 hours, too little. Needing to nap is a symptom of crappy "sleep hygiene" as doctors call it. Worse, naps can interfere with your sleep patterns.

When you are young you are more resilient to this kind of thing but I would advise you to sort it out sooner rather than later.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Naps are one of my favorite past times.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    In case you didn't know, your sleep patterns roughly follow an hour and a half cycle. if you wake up outside this window your will feel like crap when you wake up(one of the reasons I never use an alarm clock). Naps are pretty crap for this. You should really be getting proper sleep, it is one of the best and most fundamental things you can do for your health. Incidentally sleep also helps memory functions, which is also rather fundamental to studying wouldn't you say? 4 hours, too little. Needing to nap is a symptom of crappy "sleep hygiene" as doctors call it. Worse, naps can interfere with your sleep patterns.

When you are young you are more resilient to this kind of thing but I would advise you to sort it out sooner rather than later.
    Why then does every other animal on the planet nap?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post

There is evidence which would contradict what you are saying. Naps have been proven to provide health benefits of which one is lowering high blood pressure. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0228105308.htm I know personally I function the best when I do get a nap during the day. Not saying it is best for all. But it sure is for me.