Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Out of job, no education and a criminal record - what now?

Hi MMO-Champion and welcome to my post!

I am currently seeking advice from some of the smartest people that I know (Yeah, that's you guys on MMO-Champion <3) in regards of my current situation, and what my next step should be.

My name is Nikolas, and I am a 24 year old young man, whom have made a major boo-boo 2 years ago, that cost me my job where I had recently been promoted to the position of Senior Agent, or Team Lead for a financial company’s customer service. Due to my boo-boo giving getting me convicted for data fraud, I was of course terminated from my previous employer, as I cannot work within a financial institution where I have access to a lot of personal, and financial information regardless of my promotion. Now I am currently once again living in my parents cozy house under their roof, eating their food and getting a bit of cash for them to get bye, while I am waiting on my social services to help me out. The reason that I am here, is that I am looking for an advice on what I should do. Most people would suggest that I spend 3½ years or so on an education, where I will have a clean criminal record as soon as my education is done, or that I get a random job and earn some cash, knocking out some debt and waiting my time out.

However, I have ever since I turned 18, been trying to find an education that I would like to finish, and I have previously started an education within pedagogical, because I enjoy helping people, but I never finished it because it would not be certain for me to be working within the field that I want, which would be to help young people in social difficulties, such as drug abuse or abusive parents and such. Now there are several educations that I do find interesting, but none of them which really appeal to me, that gives me a sense of passion. I could be considered the Jack of all trades for the things that I like, and that appeal to me, and here is a list of things that I like doing, and that I am good at:

• Selling (Not telemarketing.)
    • Helping (Customers, friends, strangers.)
    • Writing (Blogs, novels, articles, essays etc.)
    • Talking (Speeches, lecturer etc.)
    • Training (Mentoring, coaching etc.)
    • Leading (Previous experience within customer service.)

Now my previous job hit these aspects right on the mark, except for the selling part as I was helping my customers, helping my team. I was writing emails, educational training and feedback. I was talking with my customers, my colleagues and my trainees. I was training my trainees and veteran customer service agents, and finally I was leading my team in regards of problem solving, and leading the team when our manager was out of office.
    I have previously been contacted about a real estate job on Malta, but was ultimately declined the job, as I do not currently have a driver’s license, and the education (at least in Denmark) is a financial and mathematical education, which is some logical thinking that I really can’t wrap my mind around, so the education as a real-estate agent would be out of the question.

So as you might understand, I am very unhappy to have lost my previous job, but the show must go on and I have to play with the cards that I have been dealt, and figure out a way to handle my criminal record that have already cost me 8 jobs.
    So the advice that I am seeking from you dear reader, is an advice on possible educations or jobs that I could be offered within my situation. And that does not matter the country really, if there is a job available to me, with a decent pay in a country that I would like to live in I would take it in a heartbeat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards Nikolas
    Whether you think you can or can't - You're right!

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

Deleted
    Become a career criminal.

Hey man, we're going to hand wring on this issue and... that's about it.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't tell if this is legitimate, or some meta in-joke that I missed in my old age.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by IAMANIKOLAS View Post
    • Selling (Not telemarketing.)
    • Helping (Customers, friends, strangers.)
    • Writing (Blogs, novels, articles, essays etc.)
    • Talking (Speeches, lecturer etc.)
    • Training (Mentoring, coaching etc.)
    • Leading (Previous experience within customer service.)
    This may not be the advice you want but I think it could be the advice that you're looking for. I would start mowing lawns/shoveling snow and offering other basic maintenance services that you're capable of doing.

If you're really good at all the above listed things (your list), you can start a business with these skills. It doesn't mean that you need to continue doing whatever it is you choose to do in the beginning either. You could start a small lawn mowing business just to survive that evolves into a small landscaping business. Eventually some of your landscaping contracts may include things like a fence or deck that you can subcontract to a carpenter. When you eventually get enough work for a full time carpenter you can hire one. If you've got a full time carpenter, you may eventually be able to hire him an apprentice and put them to task on renovations or building projects in homes.

You or anyone can make something similar to this work, but, be prepared to work a lot harder, and with more personal sacrifice than working for someone else. The hours are long and almost nobody in the business world genuinely wants to help you get ahead if it doesn't benefit them first.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that if you can do whatever you're capable of to raise capital, you should be able to hire more experienced or qualified individuals in the areas that you're looking to slowly move into. Whatever you do, work aggressively at it and save capital to invest in the experience of others if you have little yourself or are otherwise stuck (criminal record).
    Last edited by techgeek; 2016-03-01 at 11:09 PM.

I would look for an apprenticeship in something you like or something new then work your way back up. Much better than education.

Criminal record is tricky but not the end of the world. As long as you regret what you did and don't try to defend it, then I don't think employers will really care that much. They just need to understand why you did it and why you won't do it again.

Your best bet would be, like Ulimar235 said, getting into an apprenticeship or pick up some skilled labor position. Your conviction may be an issue for some employers but others only care about what skills you bring to the table. Find out what skills are in demand in your locality, learn them to proficiency. You most likely aren't looking at another few years of higher education but maybe 3-6 months of skills training.

The restart your career in another field.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Your best bet would be, like Ulimar235 said, getting into an apprenticeship or pick up some skilled labor position. Your conviction may be an issue for some employers but others only care about what skills you bring to the table. Find out what skills are in demand in your locality, learn them to proficiency. You most likely aren't looking at another few years of higher education but maybe 3-6 months of skills training.

The restart your career in another field.
    I would argue that his best bet would be to hire a journeyman and apprentice under them while running the company if he's actually capable of that. It really doesn't take that long to save up some capital and gain the business experience required to do something like that.

You were convicted of data fraud and will have a clean criminal record in 4 years? Whut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    If you're taking the time to post here OP, I genuinely believe you're a good person.

I would do some research in your area, you may have to work harder, but I know you can make it happen.

Lots of good jobs out in the world that don't mind the past, just look for the future. Also though a lot of places these days do a background check. My current job had an extensive background check that even listen minor tickets etc.. pretty nuts.

Anyway, good luck to you!

all my best,

- Dac

It would depend what his countries apprentice landscape looks like.

Not sure about Ireland but the USA is horrific about apprenticeship. Employers here will rarely hire you for a skilled labor position if you don't have at least a fundamental knowledge about the trade craft.

If he has access to apprenticeship then by all means get in one, if he doesn't then he needs to learn a skill to make himself more attractive a potential employer, or start his own business, which may be difficult given his back ground.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Looks for building fields, stay clean, show up, do your job well and learn.

Run for president!

I had to get that joke in early lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Most young people I know with criminal records work in the oil fields.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Contact a local job or temp agency and ask if they have something for you to do.

Deleted
    Damn this is some good copypasta, saved.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Employers love a comeback.. Do some work to build some character, learn a trade, and join the rest of us.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Advice/comm...iminal_record/

Is this also you?

In any case why not go to school and find something in finance?

Steal an experimental freeze ray and commit grandiose crimes with your colorful cohort of "partners" (read: stooges) whilst still upholding your own meager code of honor.

Or maybe I'm just watching too much television...

A few things you can try:

- Start educating yourself in a skilled trades field. Many are very lucrative, at least in the US and there are signs that they will continue this way. Not sure how it is in Ireland of course. In particular if you become an electrician and work under a union, you will find in a lot of skilled trade fields they will not have an issue with your criminal background, especially since it's not drug or violence related. This is of course assuming you are fine with blue collar work.

- Plan on starting your own business. Think of something you enjoy doing or that you do far better then others - can you make money while doing it? You can likely do it under the table for portions of time til your record becomes clean, and also work at other companies, saving money, while trying to set things up.

- School is definitely an option but don't let yourself get into massive debt and set aside time to make sure you are truly getting into a field you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. Ask people in that field what they think of it, pick their brains.

- Wait out the 3 and a half years but during that time, try out A LOT of different career fields. It sounds like you really liked your old job, but if you mix it up and try a lot of different fields, you may find another one you are good at.