Am i doing it wrong ? as a boomkin

I've swapped over from Feral for about 3 months now and still can never get decent ranks.

Take the Kilrogg kill as an example

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...kings&fight=14

As a very first impression, without going too deep, you cast too many dots on the Kilrogg fight. Like you have Moonfires that only did their initial damage. You also didn't use a 2nd pot and you've overcapped on charges a few times (3 wasted as far as I can tell). Also one important aspect of Boomkins is to hard-cast as much as possible and you have 2 less Starfires and 9 less Wraths than the other boomkin in your raid. And given that he actually has a few more DoT casts than you, that means that you have a lot of unnecessary movement.

Let's go to Council now, which is prime Boomkin time and your damage is way way lower than it should be. Your DoT uptime on Dia is horrendous (65% and 53% on Moonfire and Sunfire respectively), and it should probably be higher on Blademaster (I can't give you exact percentages as he splits in the meantime, but isolating the 2 moments that he's up you have uptime on the 80%s for Moonfire). Your CD usage is completely wrong. It's really not worth it saving your CDs for the split phase if you end up losing a full extra usage, but even doing that, you didn't even use Incarnation or the 2nd pot at that point and you did less DPS on the Images than the other boomkin (who used his CDs on pull and when they came back up). Again, you're not hard-casting as much as the other boomkin (31 Starfires and 56 Wraths to his 49!!! and 50). In addition, by my calculations you've missed 6 out of your possible 37 Starsurge/Starfall casts, which is a rather big percentage (almost 1 in 6).

Similar conclusions can be drawn from your Kormrok kill.

So, stuff you have to work on:

1) The easiest to fix: Use a 2nd pot all the time!!!
    2) Optimize your movement so that you get to cast more Starfires/Wraths
    3) Improve your CD usage. Try to pair them with potentially procs if you know you will only get just 1 more usage (see Kormrok). Also stop using the simultaneously (again see Kormrok). Incarnation is on the GCD while CA isn't. By using them together you miss a full GCD of CA.
    4) Don't overcap on charges.
    5) Improve DoT uptime
    6) Learn when it's worth to DoT an add or not (that comes with experience and knowledge of the fight mostly)

Regarding point 4, something that a lot of boomkins don't think is the following: You might think that you never remember overcapping charges on the Council fight (as an example), but what you probably did is that you procced a Shooting Star that got you to 3 charges, you instantly fired off a Starsurge and just thought you didn't overcap. What might have happened though, is that this Shooting Star procced when you were 10 seconds away from recharging that 3rd charge, so in effect you just lost 2/3 of a charge. If this happens repeatedly throughout the fight you end up losing a lot of possible charges, so you lose a significant amount of dps.

PS: As a side note, you should be using Barkskin more.
    PS2: Your burst probably needs working (numbers are pretty low), but I haven't looked into it to tell you for sure.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 2016-03-02 at 11:25 AM.

Hey there, thank you very much for the in-depth explanation appreciate it much!

Now, i do realise the cap sometimes >.>

Here's how i usually open.

5sec before: Inc + Pot
    1.5 sec before : SS
    before it hits boss : CA + Moon/sun fire

then the rotation starts.

am i doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by iamahleong View Post
    Hey there, thank you very much for the in-depth explanation appreciate it much!

Now, i do realise the cap sometimes >.>

Here's how i usually open.

5sec before: Inc + Pot
    1.5 sec before : SS
    before it hits boss : CA + Moon/sun fire

then the rotation starts.

am i doing it wrong?
    5 seconds before pull to use pot / inc seems like a huge waste. i've been doing this:

2.5 inc
    1 SS + pre pot
    0 CA + dots

What Raggarvalle said more or less. But I was mostly referring generally to your burst and not specifically the opener. You seem to be using CDs without having pooled charges in advance and then you "waste" your CA on unempowered long ass casts, or that was my impression from a very brief look. Also, as I mentioned you seem to use Inc+CA at the same time the 2nd/3rd time around (not on pull), which is a no-go.

On another note, I thought it would go without saying, but apparently it needs to be said. You never ever ever ever use your CDs on the opener on Gorefiend. You keep them for the Feasts (that goes for every class with 3mins). Also, on that one Gorefiend kill from the logs you linked, not only do you use your CDs on pull so you don't have them on the 1st feast, but when that 1st feast comes, the ring and bloodlust are used and you use your 2nd pot after the ring has exploded. That's a clear waste of a pot. On another one, you don't use your CDs on the pull (correct) and then you use them after ring has exploded.

You could also post a link to your Armory so we might get a hint on what Items you're using. The gear lvl alone isn't saying to much. Balance dmg is a lot about correct "rotation" in the beginning later on moving efficiently while under GCD ie. And also trinket setups. But to be honest I took a quick look through the logs ( assuming that you are venthez and not spiderbear? ) One thing you might look at is the "Cast"-Tab. If you only put in starsurge, starfire, moonfire and sunfire you see a ton of empty space inbetween. So you have wasted a lot of GCDs on the kilrogg fight with nothing.
    This might happen in progression / if you get used to a fight. But the content is over half a year old by now and you should be used to it. Basically you want to have as many GCDs filled with something that does dmg to the boss or add preferably something in the right order. But for now it even woudlnt matter if you double SS or cast the wrong order you would even do more dmg with it if you'd only fill up on GCDs.

( btw rankings are fucked anyways and you shoudlnt care to much about them. Its the most unimportant tab of logs anyways)

If you think you didnt miss to many GCDs I looked into my recent kilrogg kill with about the same fight time. 16 more wrath +8 starfire +7 starsurgesbut about 4 less of both Moon- and Sunfire. ( I try to maintain them only on kilrogg and the big add. The small adds die to quickly imo)

adramelch already said a lot and the 2.5 sec SS opener is quiet good imo. 5sec pre for Inc is an old pull where you would be still able to double trigger RPPM trinkets thru the enter combat event. Something that has been fixed as far as I know.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by miDnight77 View Post
    You could also post a link to your Armory so we might get a hint on what Items you're using.
    The log shows his name/realm name so you could just search it.

@Krassz1096 Yes I could or OP googles Moonkin guides in the first place. Its a question of manners to Provide informations you want feedback on. Same goes for not stating which boomi he is in the logs. Also people will be more likely to help if you make it easier for them to access all the information they need to help.

Quote Originally Posted by miDnight77 View Post
    @Krassz1096 Yes I could or OP googles Moonkin guides in the first place. Its a question of manners to Provide informations you want feedback on. Same goes for not stating which boomi he is in the logs. Also people will be more likely to help if you make it easier for them to access all the information they need to help.
    Wait you want people to go out and find information for themselves and not just have it handed to them?! You crazy xD That being said this is from another post I had written up giving someone else advice. I highly recommend clicking the Balance Druid Guide link as it seems you're missing some KEY basic elements of Boomkin:
    For Trinket information refer to the Balance trinkets as of 6.2.3 thread. Here xtramuscle and I discuss what trinkets to use for what fights specifically. There is also a Balance Druid Guide that you can find the basics of DPS as Fatbird on (this isn't up to date as of 6.2 however the general principles have not changed since 6.0. The last page I'm involved with some general discussion on the Opener (below) and DPS in general.

Tips:
    • Keep dots up 100%, keep dots up 100% or don’t play a dot class.
    • Never be capped at 3 charges of SS, if you get a shooting stars proc at 3, you just wasted a cast of SS.
    • Get the most out of the ring/your trinket procs: If there is 2 seconds left on ring/trinket and you know you can’t get another SF off before they expire, I almost always throw an extra SS (or two depending on my stacks) out for the extra buff – even if it will refresh an already 2 or 3 stack of empowered.
    • If you are only at 1 charge of SS and in solar eclipse, save it for lunar eclipse, even if it means you will be casting wraths without empowered (I would rather be casting un-empowered wraths than un-empowered SF’s). For fights with consistent aoe to adds, adjust this to be, throw out SS anytime Starfall is about to fall off.

Opener:
    • Incarn at ~2.5
    • Prepot/SS at ~ 1.5 second
    • CA/MF on pull (will also apply Sunfire)
    • SFx2
    • SS
    • SFx2
    • Repeat depending on what eclipse you’re in

Trinkets (general use):
    For all fights trinket usage should be Seed of Corruption (SoC) and Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia (DSI) outside of a few circumstances:
    - The demon bosses (Zakuun, Velhari): one should swap out SoC for Orb of Voidsight (OoV).
    - Unless you need help killing Grasping Hands, Sandman's Pouch or Iron Reaver Piston (IRP) should be used instead of SoC, therefore coupled with DSI on Kormrok.

It is worth noting this is assuming Mythic 2/2 Trinkets. OoV is virtually on par with Mythic DSI, the delta isn't very noticeable, this does NOT assume 2/2 upgraded. That being said OoV is stronger than Heroic DSI for Demon fights.

"A bit generic, I'd argue Sandman's should replace SOC on Iron reaver, and OoV on Kormrok fight length depending." -xtramuscle in response to my general statements. These go into much greater detail for a much higher level of play.

Reaver: If you're not getting an air phase, or speed killing on mythic, swap SoC for Sandman's preferably if not then IRP.
    Kormrok: If you don't need help killing hands, or speed killing on mythic, swap SoC for Sandman's/OoV fight length depending
    Zakuun: Single target demon fight, swap SoC for OoV.
    Tyrant: Multiple target dmon fight, swap DSIif not Mythic 2/2 upgraded for OoV. Otherwise swap SoC for OoV (Add dmg not priority)
    Mannoroth: Multiple target demon fight, swap DSI if not Mythic 2/2 upgraded for OoV.
    Archimonde: Multiple target demon fight, swap DSI if not Mythic 2/2 upgraded for OoV.
    Here's a video of one of my more recent Mythic Zakuun kills. Sometimes it helps to be able to see what someone else is casting rather than just reading/hearing about it. Unfortunately I was in Fissure soak group so couldn't just tunnel my face off but this should help you have a better understanding I think.

Here is a video of a recent Iron Reaver kill. Pretty decent pull, you can laugh at me for getting hit by Barrage at the end too. That's what I get for not playing it safe and trying to turret cast lol

One quick question about trinket for Orb? If I have MWF DSI should I use that and SoC on Tyrant? or Orb and DSI?

Always DSI specially MWF. For Tyrant DSI and Orb is ok, you woudlnt hardcast starfall anyways on that fight due to having only 2 living enemies. But Orb is often overwriting itself and a bit edgy imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilbot View Post
    One quick question about trinket for Orb? If I have MWF DSI should I use that and SoC on Tyrant? or Orb and DSI?
    OoV/DSI. SoC is irrelevant on that fight and won't give you as much damage.

Thank you all for the reply,

I did google up moonkin guides, but these feedback does open up a different perspective to what ive been missing.

basically i know the.. keep dots up as high% as possible , cast on the right eclipse.

i'll put all the feedback here into test for the upcoming raid!

Quote Originally Posted by iamahleong View Post
    Am i doing it wrong ?
    The Daddy Boomkin and the Mommy Boomkin take their transmogs off, then there are lots of Moonfires, and 9 months later a little Lazer Chicken is born.