What dinners did your parents cook for you when you were growing up?

Here's my mom's rotation:

1. meat loaf (best meat loaf ever I have the recipe)
    2. perogis
    3. pot roast
    4. pork chops
    5. shake and bake chicken breasts and legs.
    6. hamburger helper
    7. chopped steak
    8. spaghetti with amazing homemade meatballs (she dropped them raw into the sauce and let them simmer)
    9. THICK hamburgers.
    10. BLTs
    11. stuffed peppers
    12. stuffed cabbage
    13. homemade chicken soup

I think that's it.

She also made an amazing home fries (got that recipe too)

She never made fish because my dad hated fish.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember a ton of what my aunt and uncle would cook when I was a kid (3 - 11), but some specific ones:

1 - Ham and mac & cheese was a common one, using a ham steak
    1 - Tuna fish and mac & cheese (which I still love today!)

For my parents (12 - 13)

1 - Tuna fish casserole
    2 - Mac Surprise (beef and elbow macaroni)

Group/foster homes (13 - 18)

It varied. One particular house was super fond of eggplant shepard's pie. God, I hated that stuff so much. At Campbell house we got to switch off on cooking and so some people favored fried chicken a lot

10+ Year Old Account
    Varied a lot because they liked to experiment, but the more regular ones were:

- Beef Vindaloo
    - Tikka Masala
    - Spaghetti Bolognese (sans the spaghetti sometimes for a great chili)
    - Satay Chicken
    - Stir Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Crap, junk food, flavourless meat and anything that can be boiled in a cast iron pot.

Jambalaya
    Gumbo
    Dirty Rice
    Chicken rice & gravy
    Red beans & rice
    Spaghetti
    Pot Roast
    Crab Rice
    Pizza
    Catfish
    'Meatloaf
    Salmon
    Breakfast
    Last edited by TonyMonktana; 2016-03-03 at 03:44 AM.

My mom cooked a lot, and so did my grandma. My dad's also big on grilling... most notably.

Enchiladas.
    King Ranch Chicken (like lasagna, except with chicken/cheese/tortillas/rotel)
    Chicken fried steak.
    Pot roast.
    Pork shoulders.
    Tamales.
    Breakfast tacos.

That's just a small list, and off the top of my head. I had a varied diet when growing up :P EXCEPT when I was first diagnosed with Type I Diabetes back in 96 (I was 8)... for a year... I had nothing but ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch at school, carefully measured out cereal, and very bland dinners. Because my parents were afraid to feed me anything else. I don't eat like anymore, of course. But I still won't eat ham and cheese sandwiches to this day (I'll be 28 in June).

For the record... Type I Diabetics can eat anything we want just as long as we take insulin for it. I eat a snicker bar which is like... 35 carbs. I take 3 units of Novolog to counteract. Caused by an autoimmune disorder, not eating a lot. That 3 units is actually a bit much for 35 carbs (for me anyway). Since I have high insulin sensitivity. Type 2s are generally insulin resistant.

Fish sticks
    Tuna casserole
    Spaghetti
    Pork chops
    Chicken
    On special occasions things like lasagna, homemade pizza and fish frys.

Pork chops and apple sauce.
    MEatloaf and Mac'ncheese.
    Goulash
    Chicken and dumplings
    biscuits and gravy or Creamed chipped beef
    Burgers, hot dogs
    Liver and onions
    Beef stew or soup
    BBQ pork
    lots of Spaghetti

- - - Updated - - -

Goulash
    Chicken and dumplings
    Burgers, hot dogs
    Liver and onions
    Beef stew or soup
    BBQ pork
    lots of Spaghetti

Oh and cottage pie

- - - Updated - - -

Goulash
    Chicken and dumplings
    Burgers, hot dogs
    Liver and onions
    Beef stew or soup
    BBQ pork
    lots of Spaghetti

Oh and cottage pie

Varied a lot. The most common meals my mom made were breakfast related.

Scrambled eggs & peppers or omelets on weekdays, hashbrowns and smoked sausage &/or bacon w/ pancakes on the weekends. Mom usually made breakfast once or twice a week and every weekend.

Dinner was pretty varied though. Various pastas, meats, grains, meats, etc. What was more common was for my mom to make our 'favorites'. Which was actually quite a lot of different things as I had two sisters and my dad hassling my mom to cook this or that dish.

My oldest sister really loved lasagna. It was probably the most common recurring meal. In part because it was easy and partly because my older sister got whatever she wanted most days. She will not admit this, natch.

Dad liked gumbo and steak fajitas a lot. Gumbo was pretty common. I dislike gumbo actually. Well, it's more like I am sick of gumbo from my childhood. From time to time, my did cooked and it was pretty good. Mostly stuff from his childhood like paella, oxtails, morcilla & rice, etc.

Youngest sister loved pancakes. She would request them for dinner often. Eh. My older sister and I are somewhat older and we didn't mind finding our own dinner by that point. But she also request chicken Alfredo a lot too.

I would request tacos a lot when I was really young. Steak tacos. As I got older I would have periods of time where I was "obsessed" by a certain cuisine. Like I would want to try Indian food and my mom would join me in trying to figure out how to make these dishes, etc.

I took a lot of queues from my mother in the end. She was a stay at home mom for years & years and she did love cooking. Similarly, I initially wanted to pursue culinary arts in college, went to cooking school and eventually got a job in the food service industry. It sucked.

As luck would have it, I got burned out and decided to be a stay-home wife for a few years and my passion for cooking was really sparked. Or re-sparked, so to speak.

So I guess my mom's penchant for buying cookbooks and making different meals partly to entertain herself and partly to challenge herself filtered down to me- only becoming obvious to me years later in life.

My mom was Mexican, so we had a LOT of mexican dishes. Some nights, we would get lucky and actually have steak or pork chops.

I think my mom burned off my taste buds years ago.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

1. Spaghetti
    2. Steak
    3. Veggie pizza
    4. Pizza boats
    5. Turkey (mainly for holidays)
    6. Pot Pie
    7. Stew
    8. Lasagna
    9. Meat Loaf
    10. Tacos
    11. Taco Salad
    12. Helpers
    13. Hot Dogs & mac and cheese
    14. Roasts
    15. Pork Chops
    16. Chicken
    17. Ham
    18. Eggs
    19. Waffles/pancakes
    20. Tater tot hotdish

Hated foods
    1. Reuben sandwich
    2. Grilled Cheese and tomato soup

I won't list them all, as I was fortunate enough to grow up with a mom who liked to cook a large variety. But my favorite meal, hands down, was:

Fried pork chops with mashed potatos, corn, and green beans.

Y'all ain't got nothin' on my momma's fried pork chops.

Since my sister often cooked dinner too I'll include her (learned these from mom anyway)
    1. Stir fry and rice
    2. Mushroom rice casserole thing
    3. Broccoli chicken casserole
    4. Tacos (American style)
    5. Burrito
    6. Spaghetti

Dad:
    1. Buffalo Hot Wings
    2. Steak and Potato, with whatever vegetable side
    3. Hamburgers and fries (made not just bought at Mickey Ds)
    4. Bratwurst and whatever
    5. Schnitzel
    6. Tacos (more traditional Style)
    7. Enchiladas
    8. Basically anything that can be grilled.

Mom
    1. Pho
    2. Chicken soup
    3. Egg rolls, lettuce and nuc mom
    4. Noodle Bowls
    5. Spring rolls
    6. Baked Spaghetti
    7. Stew usually with beef, potato, carrot
    8. Banh Xeo
    9. Shepherds pie
    10. Chicken salad sandwich
    11. Vietnamese Salad

Days I had to cook was when we had macaroni and cheese, tomato soup, or sandwiches, haha.
    X

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Merlot burgers, Merlot steak with brown sugar, Beer marinated chicken with brown sugar and honey, rice, potatoes, homemade bread, tomales, tacos, Pico De Gallo, general mexican food goodness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

hot dogs and those nasty frozen dinners

Mom always did most of the cooking. My favorite (to this day) is her beef pot roast + mashed potatoes + homemade biscuits. Any kind of breakfast she makes is awesome too.

Dad...cooking never really has been his thing. But he worked his ass off and made sure we had food to cook, so yeah.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-03-03 at 03:58 AM.

tv dinners
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Kraft Dinner

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a latch-key kid, so meals were either something I made from a can, or TV Dinners. We'd probably get an actual home cooked meal twice a week.

These days I cook my own food and avoid premade dinners almost entirely, unless extenuating circumstances.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab