Tanking ring question.

Odd question, the guide I read said to normally go with the higher ilvl item but I have 2 rings I dont know which to wear.

I have a 705 (715 upgraded) Martak Rugged Seal Haste/Bonus armor (pretty much my BiS stats at this point)
    and a 725 (735 upgraded) congealed globule loop Mastery/Multi

I know normally id want the Rugged seal because obviously its amazing but Im wondering if 20 ilvls worth of main stats are worth dropping it for the 735

Bonus Armour is REALLY good. 20 ilvls is not enough to make not having bonus armour worth it.

I had the same question. I use 'askmrrobot' best in bags feature and it had me equipping my dps ring for tanking. I was astonished, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Guess what?!? I got kicked from a normal pug raid (ring upgrade run) after one wipe on normal Manny. I got thrown off in phase 4 after due to bad positioning. The raid leader inspected me, saw the dps ring and kicked me. He then proceeded to ridicule me, etc. I explained that AskMrRobot recommended this due to the high iLvL difference (My dps ring was ~ 780 and my tanking one was only ~735. He did the typical 'learn to play' crap and 'Icy Veins' is crap etc. etc. What a jackass. Then again, not surprised from a pug.

I'm glad to see I'm not the one with this question. I'm also glad to see there is some justification to use the dps ring given the iLvl difference. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by tmusser View Post
    I had the same question. I use 'askmrrobot' best in bags feature and it had me equipping my dps ring for tanking. I was astonished, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Guess what?!? I got kicked from a normal pug raid (ring upgrade run) after one wipe on normal Manny. I got thrown off in phase 4 after due to bad positioning. The raid leader inspected me, saw the dps ring and kicked me. He then proceeded to ridicule me, etc. I explained that AskMrRobot recommended this due to the high iLvL difference (My dps ring was ~ 780 and my tanking one was only ~735. He did the typical 'learn to play' crap and 'Icy Veins' is crap etc. etc. What a jackass. Then again, not surprised from a pug.

I'm glad to see I'm not the one with this question. I'm also glad to see there is some justification to use the dps ring given the iLvl difference. Thanks for the post.
    dps ring has no proc for tanks? while tank ring has a huge use every 2 minutes, also bonus armor > off-stats on a dps ring.

There is absolutely no justification to use the dps ring despite the ilvl difference, Ask Mr Robot is rubbish and doesn't account for the on-use effect which is enormous. A 735 tank ring is easily far stronger than a 795 dps ring for all purposes.

Ask Mr Robot cannot be trusted for trinkets, or apparently legendary rings with active effects. Some classes they've plugged in useful trinket recommendations, but most of the time they run a dumb stat priority list and ignore the trinket's non-stat text. It was recommending that I tank with Discordant Chorus last I checked, which is about four levels of stupid. Not only is strength inferior to bonus armor by a huge margin, it also ignored WUE and class trinket, and even if you were going to use a strength trinket, you'd use EDH or UEH before you'd use Chorus.

Honestly I'm not sure what the site's purpose is supposed to be now that hit rating calculators are gone. Best case scenario it just gives you confidence in gear selection that you should've already figured out on your own if you know your class since stat priority lists are pretty simple to evaluate and simcraft is only slightly harder to use than AMR, and worst case scenario it tells you stupid shit like equip a ring without bonus armor.
    Last edited by bicycle; 2016-03-26 at 04:50 AM.

Well, haste caps still exist in some shapes and forms, but yeah, next-to-useless feature that doesn't serve the purpose it's designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by tmusser View Post

I would've kicked you too. How fucking dare you wear a 735 DPS ring as a tank for normal Mannoroth

As others have said, AMR can only be trusted as far as their capabilities. The algorithms and weights they use are good for one thing: Determining relative item values based on stats. Any kind of proc attached to trinkets or legendaries must either be hand-coded by them or evaluated by you separate from their recommendations.

If stats were the only concern, then your DPS ring would be (barely) better than your tank ring, mostly due to the higher Strength. However, stats are not the only concern.
    Last edited by Curulan; 2016-03-31 at 04:28 PM.

Another thing to think about is that Bonus Armor gives you 1 armor and 1 Attack power per point, and Strength gives you 1 Attack Power per point. So its basically 1.5 times more Attack power to have a Tank ring over Dps ring. On top of that, which was stated above, the tank ring on use gives you a bunch of Versatility which gives you reduced damage, ON TOP of spreading the dps between the two (or three) tanks (as long as both of you have the ring, which for that run both should). This gives even more damage reduction. So while it worked for the Legendary Cloak, it is never EVER a good idea too use the dps ring as a tank. If you can't afford the second ring, go farm some gold for a couple hours and you can get it very quickly.

The tank ring doesn't have bonus armour instead of strength. It has it as well as strength, instead of a different secondary stat. That's how good it is.