Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Trolls Face Charges For Fake Online Profiles

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/trolls-fac...005905218.html

Trolls who post damaging material online using fake profiles in the name of their victims can be charged under new advice for prosecutors.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) is updating its social media guidelines to deal with offenders who use false online accounts and websites.

The advice means it may be a criminal offence for internet trolls to set up profiles under a victim's name to share information which could damage a person's reputation.

The CPS said trolls may be charged with offences including grossly offensive communication or harassment.

The Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders said: "Offenders can mistakenly think that by using false online profiles and creating websites under a false name their offences are untraceable.

"Thankfully this is not the case and an online footprint will be left by the offender."

Twitter and Facebook have systems in place to report accounts which impersonate individuals or companies.

Twitter's help centre says impersonation is a breach of its rules, and that accounts portraying a person in a "confusing or deceptive manner" may be permanently suspended.

Accounts established for the purposes of parody or commentary are allowed on the site.

Facebook says "impostor accounts" are banned.

The CPS has launched a six-week-long public consultation on the proposed changes to its social media guidelines.

Ms Saunders added: "Online communication is developing at such a fast pace, new ways of targeting and abusing individuals online are constantly emerging.

"We are seeing more and more cases where social media is being used as a method to facilitate both existing and new offences.

"It is vital that prosecutors consider the bigger picture when looking at evidence and examine both the online and offline behaviour pattern of the defendant."
    Personally im all for this

Im not sure how I feel about it. I see it as a good thing but something feels dirty about it and im not sure why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am all for taking dick wads on the internet down a notch. But as many conversations have led to regarding this topic, it is a slippery slope.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Oh look free speech is being limited again in the UK what a surprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Free speech? Last I checked pretending to be someone else and saying shit they would never say is not free speech. It's defamation. If anything by doing that you would be hampering their free speech.

15+ Year Old Account
    Inb4 "but mah rights to be an asshat on da intanetz!" people throw a temper tantrum on this subject.

Edit : Wow. And lo and behold, look who the first person to speak out is. Shocking.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Oh look people impersonating others online are being prosecuted.

Knee-jerk more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Inb4 "but mah rights to be an asshat on da intanetz!" people throw a temper tantrum on this subject.

Edit : Wow. And lo and behold, look who the first person to speak out is. Shocking.
    I'm more concerned about it extending to things being said that people disagree with, ending in jail time. Not so much as being an ass hat, but simply disagreeing.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for this, trying to impersonate other users goes beyond just harmless trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I'm more concerned about it extending to things being said that people disagree with, ending in jail time. Not so much as being an ass hat, but simply disagreeing.
    This isn't even related to that. This is harassment, which you do not have the right to do and never did. Twitter "shadowbanning" conservative posters is a better example.

Does this only apply online? Should all the Elvis impersonators in las vegas be charged as well?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Dunno why but I first thought about Tindr bots when opening the thread. Anyway, I don't really see anything wrong with that. Kinda surprised they are going at it from the harassment angle. It should already be covered by things like defamation laws or maybe even EU laws about identity protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Misleading thread title.
    who post damaging material online using fake profiles in the name of their victims
    it may be a criminal offence for internet trolls to set up profiles under a victim's name to share information which could damage a person's reputation
    This isn't about trolls facing charges for fake online profiles. It's about impersonating someone and posting something "damaging".
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-03-03 at 03:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I am all for taking dick wads on the internet down a notch. But as many conversations have led to regarding this topic, it is a slippery slope.
    I'm confident it won't stretch into 'forum disagreements'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icuren View Post
    Oh look people impersonating others online are being prosecuted.

Knee-jerk more.
    And?

Who cares if people impersonate someone else online. Its the internet. Anonymity is key. People hide behind the internet all the time, its not right for GOVERNMENTS to jail people for posting stuff online. Its just plain retarded in fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Misleading thread title.

This isn't about creating a fake online profile. It's about impersonating someone and posting something "damaging".
    Wasn't that obvious ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post

I'm not really sure which part of ellieg's post constitutes a temper tantrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Wasn't that obvious ?
    Obviously not >_>

Deleted
    And?

Who cares if people impersonate someone else online. Its the internet. Anonymity is key. People hide behind the internet all the time, its not right for GOVERNMENTS to jail people for posting stuff online. Its just plain retarded in fact.
    Shock: An online troll worried about laws affecting online trolls

Identitiy theft is being combated.
    Not everyone defines "free speech" as "noise without legal consequence".
    Btw.: Setting up an account under a false name is already illegal in the USA as far as I know...