Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post 5 Dating Traditions That Reinforce Rape Culture

Rape culture is a common topic in the feminist blogosphere, and for good reason: Society is set up so that everything from dress codes to dating traditions reinforce rape culture. From the moment we're wrapped in a baby blanket based on our biological sex, a sharp division is drawn between girls and boys — a dichotomy that goes on to inform the way we experience romance as we get older.

Although this objectification comes with a whole range of issues, one of the most damaging is its role in rape culture. Society teaches us that women's worth is in their sexual appeal, which men are supposedly unable to resist; at the same time, however, we're told that having sex makes us dirty. The end result? A society that normalizes sexual violence against women and blames the victims for the actions of the aggressors — aka rape culture.

The insidious thing about rape culture is that it's not always as obvious as victim-blaming in the media. It's present in all kinds of everyday traditions, especially when it comes to romance. Let's take a look at some ways dating perpetuates rape culture below.
    1. Men Paying For Everything

Although it's certainly nice to get free dinner, the tradition of men paying for everything on dates is a subtle sign of rape culture, largely because it's implied that the woman owes him in return.
    3. Not Taking "No" For An Answer

Countless books, movies, and TV shows rely on the idea that persistence is key. Rather than taking rejection at face value and moving on, society teaches men to take "no" as a "maybe," and eventually he'll be able to wear a woman down — although why anyone would want to go on a date with someone who doesn't want to be there is beyond me. It might seem romantic in some situations, but in reality, it has dangerous implications for consent.
    5. The "Player" Versus "Slut" Stereotype

Men are expected to get laid with hordes of beautiful women, but in turn, these women are shamed for their participation in sex. Not only is such slut shaming incredibly illogical, it perpetuates rape culture in a number of ways.

Primarily, it implies that women who have sex aren't deserving of respect. When this is combined with the idea that men are sexually voracious and don't need to control themselves, you get a dangerous narrative in which men bear no responsibility for their actions, and the consent of certain women is less important than others' — and that's simply wrong.
    http://www.bustle.com/articles/14580...e-rape-culture

Came across this interesting article. Which ones do you think most contributes to rape culture?

Deleted
    I think playing the Victim perpetuates rape culture.

I don't think any of those contributes to rape.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.bustle.com/articles/14580...e-rape-culture

Came across this interesting article. Which ones do you think most contributes to rape culture?
    I'm pretty sure this is a troll/bait thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    I don't think any of those contributes to rape.
    Ah, but he said rape-culture :P That is not actual rape, it's more akin to the boogey-man for Feminists to keep them scared and stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is a troll/bait thread.
    Wouldn't be much different from your posts, i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Ah, but he said rape-culture :P That is not actual rape, it's more akin to the boogey-man for Feminists to keep them scared and stuff
    I don't know what rape culture would be.

Deleted
    I see you got unbanned again, congratz Tennis! The next one is probably not far off with treads like this .

10+ Year Old Account
    And he's back...

Deleted
    None, they are all crap. Feminists should stop whining so much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    I don't know what rape culture would be.
    Well, it's kind of like a thing that doesn't excist. An idea, y'know, a projected thing that people think, if they repeat enough times, it's gonna be true.

Kind of like some MMO-C posts. :P

Deleted
    "When this is combined with the idea that men are sexually voracious and don't need to control themselves"

Okay then so biscailly you're having to make logical leaps and bounds to try nad draw a link between facts and what the author claims.

The article is a reflection of paranoia and insecurity of the highest order.

Which ones do you think most contributes to rape culture?
    men existing, obviously.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    men existing, obviously.
    But how would there be a rape culture, if there were no women?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    "When this is combined with the idea that men are sexually voracious and don't need to control themselves"

Okay then so biscailly you're having to make logical leaps and bounds to try nad draw a link between facts and what the author claims.

The article is a reflection of paranoia and insecurity of the highest order.
    How is this paranoia? Have you seen the rape rates out there?

Let the weird nonsense threads spam begin.

There is no rape culture in western culture. /endthread

Seems pretty low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    I see you got unbanned again, congratz Tennis! The next one is probably not far off with treads like this .

There is nothing wrong with this thread. It's an argument made by the author that we should discuss.

None of these really apply, but at least 5 is a legitimate gripe in its own right. Why are men championed and women shamed for doing the same exact thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    There is no boogey-man, there is no god, there is no rape-culture, there is no "Ultimate group of bad guys", life is not a 80's cartoon.

But 1/10 on the thread, so far, man

We have a HIGHLY sexualized culture. "Rape Culture" is just rhetoric.

Humanity will never take a step back from sex. It is our nature and it's hardwired into us.