Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Tina Fey Calls Out The Oscars for Political Correctness, Liberal 'Hollywood BS'

Tina Fey blasted this years Oscars show for its over-the-top political correctness and predictably liberal preaching.

"Halfway through, I was like, 'This is some real Hollywood bullshit,'" she told Howard Stern on Tuesday. "Everyone is telling me what to do, and people are yelling at me about rape and corporate greed and climate change. It's like, guys, pick a lane."

Fey was probably referring to Lady Gaga's performance of The Hunting Ground's "Until It Happens to You," which featured survivors of rape taking the stage; The Big Short's Adam McKay, who called out rich people for buying elections in his acceptance speech after winning Best Adapted Screenplay; and Leonardo DiCaprio, who rambled on about climate change during his Best Actor speech.

"“They’re like, ‘We’re going to fix everything tonight.’ Like, you’re all rich,” said Fey. “Why are you yelling at me about corporate greed?"

This not the first time Fey has made such criticisms. She previously announced that she was done apologizing for offensive jokes after some on the left accused an episode of her show, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, of racial insensitivity.

"Let's face it, actors are very stupid," she said.

Later, she defended DiCaprio against Stern's accusations that he is a misogynist because he sleeps with a lot of 18-year-old models.

"Is it misogynistic to sleep with a bunch of women who want to sleep with you?" asked Fey. "I don't think it's misogynistic. I think everybody there is up for it."
    Source

So, are the Oscars getting used way to much for peoples pet political causes? I couldn't help but think the same thing watching the Oscars. I mean there was so much of people being on their political soap box, I get it, they care about stuff, but I think its one of the things that makes the Oscars and award shows like this unwatchable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Source

So, are the Oscars getting used way to much for peoples pet political causes? I couldn't help but think the same thing watching the Oscars. I mean there was so much of people being on their political soap box, I get it, they care about stuff, but I think its one of the things that makes the Oscars and award shows like this unwatchable.
    Oh, they don't care about making a positive change in the world when it's brought up there. Crap like that is to earn a punch up on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    So, are the Oscars getting used way to much for peoples pet political causes?
    Nope. If that's how they want to spend their time during their awards show or their acceptance speech, it's little more than pure arrogance to tell them how much of it is appropriate.

I think its one of the things that makes the Oscars and award shows like this unwatchable.
    I don't watch the Oscars because I am not interested in the Oscars, but a few minutes of your life listening to somebody's opinions makes the show unwatchable? Okay I guess.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of them are sincere and really do try to help but most just want to create an image of a noble person when really they're basically the same as those they complain about.

Deleted
    Well, she's right. The regressive left will actually drive a lot of people toward the right. That's how horrible all that bullshit is. It's not liberal, it's authoritarian, and it's not progressive, it's regressive. Regressive, authoritarian, bordering on fascist, left.

Just don't blame liberals or progressives for all that BS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let the people who win give a speech about whatever they want. I find people who report and write such stories are making everything too much about politics.

So does this narrative like change anyone's views of Hollywood?

I was under the impression that this forum had a 'fuck Hollywood' attitude.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

She just doesn't understand that she's a victim yet.

I have to admit, I was pretty baffled myself to hear what some of the speeches consist of after they accept the award.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, she's right. The regressive left will actually drive a lot of people toward the right. That's how horrible all that bullshit is. It's not liberal, it's authoritarian, and it's not progressive, it's regressive. Regressive, authoritarian, bordering on fascist, left.

Okay, but unless a majority of liberal or progressives take the time to differentiate it is hard to know what percent are legit vs. regressives and authoritarians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

The ideologies of these regressives are way more in line with conservatives than they are with liberals - just in favor of their particular ethnic group/sex/etc instead of the classic white, christian, male. I don't see them as liberals or anywhere near the left at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    And she's spot on about the DiCaprio ordeal, too. Stern is a fucking imbecile and always has been. Calling a man who's promiscuous a misogynist is about as far from logic as you can get.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    The ideologies of these regressives are way more in line with conservatives than they are with liberals - just in favor of their particular ethnic group/sex/etc instead of the classic white, christian, male. I don't see them as liberals or anywhere near the left at all.
    They're in line with the religious right, not "conservatives" in general. I think you're confusing the two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really blame them for taking the opportunity to try to get their message across during an award ceremony that is broadcast around the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    They're in line with the religious right, not "conservatives" in general. I think you're confusing the two.
    Sure I can agree with that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Can't really blame them for taking the opportunity to get their message across during an award ceremony that is broadcast around the world.
    When their message is highly detached from the content and specific reason they are there and why viewers are tuning in, it's okay to scratch your head.

It's their soapbox moment let them have it.

Leo seems to be sincere about his cause.

McKay seemed like he HAD to rip on corporate/bank greed as that's what his movie was about to a degree.

It's all no different than Marlon Brando refusing his Oscar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    When their message is highly detached from the content and specific reason they are there and why viewers are tuning in, it's okay to scratch your head.
    Yeah I was very confused when I heard DiCaprio's speech (I didn't listen to the others). It was kind of bizarre, even though I agree with the content of what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post

Leo seems to be sincere about his cause.

McKay seemed like he HAD to rip on corporate/bank greed as that's what his movie was about to a degree.

It's all no different than Marlon Brando refusing his Oscar.
    Here's the thing. Celebritys are always on a soapbox by virtue of being one. They can signal boost whenever. They just know more people are staring at them in that moment, so it's easy to earn some points.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    What if one of them had a pro-life soapbox? Would you still think they should have a moment of everyone's time, or is it only for things you like hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    What if one of them had a pro-life soapbox? Would you still think they should have a moment of everyone's time, or is it only for things you like hearing?
    I wouldn't imagine they would choose something so controversial honestly.

It seems to me like it's more akin to beauty queen pageant winners talking about world peace, or world hunger.