Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    There is stuff i do not like, but that does not make it bad i guess.

Theres no good and bad music. Its all subjective. If I don't like something, that doesn't make it bad. Theres also music that has more thought put into it when compared to other music. That doesn't necessarily make that music any better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or in this case, the ear.

There is only shitty music and less shitty music.

True music died somewhere at the end of the 19th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgpJVI3tDbY

Taste is subjective but it gets to a point when if you are the only one that likes something, it is probably bad and your taste is bad. Doesn't make you wrong, just means you like something that is objectively bad

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, there is. Personal taste and quality are not the same. You can like bad music or dislike good music, for instance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Music is both a science and an art. There is actual technique involved when creating music that is of high quality. Of course there is subjectivity involved and it is in the eye of the beholder, or in this case, the ear. A sign of great art is that it is timeless. The reason we remember Beethoven, Mozart, and other musicians is because they managed to capture the human element which transcends the time period that they were created in. Music like Friday, will not be remembered in the distant future because it is robotic and lifeless, and it has nothing to give to the audience (except a headache).
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2016-03-07 at 06:40 PM.

there is always good and bad music

i really cant stand pop music, or rap music honestly. but just cause i dont like it doesnt mean it's bad.. it just doesnt appeal to me

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Tastes are subjective. /thread
    Music is math, so long as there is a key there are wrong notes that can be included.
    Same with time, so long as there is a beat than there are rhythms that can fall out of sync.

Tastes may very but the constant for music is time and key.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    Music is math, so long as there is a key there are wrong notes that can be included.
    Same with time, so long as there is a beat than there are rhythms that can fall out of sync.

Tastes may very but the constant for music is time and key.
    Not really when prog and mathcore exists

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    I dont want to argue in favor of Friday so please don´t think Im doing that, please.

Technique is one thing but quite often things that arent technically complex are just hands down great works. Talking music alone here (but you can strech this to any form of art) think of Punk rock as a hole. You going to deny its merits as a genre? Mind you, I´m not a fan of it but I wont go as far as dismissing it just because its not complex enough.

To go back to timeless peaces of music that arent complex, what do you think of "For Elise". That thing is used as a learning peace for beginer piano players, but I´ll be damned if that melody isnt more eternal than any of Beethovens symphonies.
    I never argued that art needs to be complex to be good art. Simplicity can be be just as important of an expression to make as a much more complex one. Both complexity and simplicity require technique, though. If there is no technique involved, the sound would just come out as a jumbled mess.

there is no "objectivity" when it comes to matters of personal taste. however I think there is a vague idea of what good music is and what's bad, because someone who will find Mozart or Bach boring are probably still going to hate Friday lol.