Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Um there's nothing intelligent or logical about sending death threats to evul SJW feminaziz that want to take ur pixel titties out of vidyagamez.

But really no, nothing. It makes you no more special for being a movie buff or a book fanatic. No hobby will make someone less of an asshole. Go check out Leagues community if you want to see how great Gamers™ are to their fellow peers.

The insults and death threats are mostly a form of camraderie, really. I forget the video that explained this really well. It was about 2-3 hours long and there was a pale-ish guy with kind of a wispy beard on it talking (no pictures unfortunately, but that's just preference) about it. He swears a lot and talks in kind of an angry hushed voice and there's very little light. Someone feel free to chime in with his name because I'm totally blanking. His analysis gets pretty deep (cultural marxism, university censorship of speech, etc) but it's a great beginner video for the uninformed. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it and link it if I find it in the future.
    Debate me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
    The insults and death threats are mostly a form of camraderie, really. I forget the video that explained this really well. It was about 2-3 hours long and there was a pale-ish guy with kind of a wispy beard on it talking (no pictures unfortunately, but that's just preference) about it. He swears a lot and talks in kind of an angry hushed voice and there's very little light. Someone feel free to chime in with his name because I'm totally blanking. His analysis gets pretty deep (cultural marxism, university censorship of speech, etc) but it's a great beginner video for the uninformed. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it and link it if I find it in the future.
    Even if you link the video there's no rationalizing it, I won't watch it. Do not send death threats to people. If you get arrested for doing so you can stomp about your free speech and Gaming Journalism Ethics™ all you want, I'll laugh in your face and wave you off as you get locked up with bubba.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Even if you link the video there's no rationalizing it, I won't watch it. Do not send death threats to people. If you get arrested for doing so you can stomp about your free speech and Gaming Journalism Ethics™ all you want, I'll laugh in your face and wave you off as you get locked up with bubba.
    You're pretty clearly not interested in anything remotely resembling a reasonable debate and refuse to accept an ideology that doesn't conform to your own, even when presented with evidence that I'm still searching for. We're done here.
    Debate me.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're pretty clearly not interested in anything remotely resembling a reasonable debate and refuse to accept an ideology that doesn't conform to your own, even when presented with evidence that I'm still searching for. We're done here.
    You're trying to rationalize sending death threats to people who disagree with you. Yeah, we're done here.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 360 noscopes have allowed us to get past our tunnel vision and see around cognitive blind spots that the common peoples suffer from. /jk
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Gaming is essentially a form of escapism. What sets it apart from the other varieties of escapist behavior, is that the gamer is constantly framed as the hero protagonist. That game universe is centered on the gamer. Combine that with an excessive amount of time spent gaming, it's highly probable that gamers have a highly distorted sense of self. It would be curious to see where gamers score on a test for narcissism.

What makes gamers so special, is mostly in their own head.

What is it that makes people who plays lots of video games and then post about playing those games on various fora so intelligent/rational/logical/etc. compared to the rest of the world? For instance, whereas the mainstream media and government is completely silent on the on the topic of SJWs, BLM reverse-racism, and Feminazi Third Reich--err I mean Third Wave(), various gaming circles have risen up to protest against the regressive left by posting a ton of articles about them, talking about them endlessly to other occupants of such fora and finding that most people agree with each other, then posting talking about them more. What is it about holding a mouse in your hand and clicking to shoot a gun or cast a spell that allows one to transcend the common illiberal mindset?
    So really you're saying, "why are there so many right wingers who I agree with on video game forums".

For one, forum dwellers aren't a representative sample of gamers. Also, the demographic tends to be young white males. Forums are also a place where people with socially unacceptable opinions congregate because they'd be shunned if they voiced them in public. Add in the forum echo chamber effect and there you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    You give gamers way to much credit. They are also the people who anonymously threaten people's lives on the internet and doxx personal info of people they disagree with, just as a few examples.
    That isn't even exclusive to gamers lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

OP is trolling the hell out of gamer culture and people are eating it up. This is awesome.

This guy knows.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Playing Crusader Kings 2 taught me just why the Kings of the British Isles were so obsessed with conquering France..... you get bored on those isles after awhile.

idk if that makes me more rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

What is it that makes people who plays lots of video games and then post about playing those games on various fora so intelligent/rational/logical/etc. compared to the rest of the world? For instance, whereas the mainstream media and government is completely silent on the on the topic of SJWs, BLM reverse-racism, and Feminazi Third Reich--err I mean Third Wave(), various gaming circles have risen up to protest against the regressive left by posting a ton of articles about them, talking about them endlessly to other occupants of such fora and finding that most people agree with each other, then posting talking about them more. What is it about holding a mouse in your hand and clicking to shoot a gun or cast a spell that allows one to transcend the common illiberal mindset?

Some possible theories to get the ball rolling:

We're actually in the Matrix.

God exists and smiles down upon his misguided athiest children, granting them a high IQ out of pity.

Liberal Philosopher John Locke's immortal ghost inhabits various MMOs and possesses any adventurer unlucky enough to cross his path, but he leaves behind a bit of his ghost in every person he possesses, so he's in a LOT of people, but only a little so it's more a voice in the back of their head rather than a full-on possession (note: haven't fully thought this one through, feel free to poke holes in it)

Post your own theories, and most of all have fun.
    Have you spent any time at all on any other community sites or forums?
    I'm sorry to say this but you are not unique in any way, the same topics are discussed all over the web.

It seems "SJW" is a rather popular term on MMO-C though. It's like if you as much as hits at helping anyone but yourself you're a "SJW" and needs to be burned like the witch you are!

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were to accept your premise, then perhaps it's because gamers come in contact with other gamers by virtue of being gamers, but not necessarily in their close circle of friends, same political party, or even same state. Do you know we have Finns on these forums? How awesome is that?

Perhaps gamers are able to transcend mindsets more easily, because they come in contact with more different mindsets? It could really just be perspective.

People playing games and then posting about it are intelligent?

Have you been to reddit lately?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Playing Crusader Kings 2 taught me just why the Kings of the British Isles were so obsessed with conquering France..... you get bored on those isles after awhile.
    CK2 taught me that once your dynasty members get their own holdings and you lose direct control over their actions, they will marry the hell out of each other and start having inbred children >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    Probably an extra chromosome
    or the spectrum squeakers
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Not positive things.

"Gamers" as such aren't one unified, hetrogen group. We're more like muslims, I'd say. Feared, hated and misunderstood by the outsiders, yet we are very divided by internal conflict and can never agree and will always fight between ourselves, like shia and sunni muslims.

"Lol consols are for noobs"
    "Lol you click?! wtf noob"
    "wtf blizz?!"
    "lol no addons?!"
    "wtf is that UI?!"

I'd also say gamers might have a higher interest regarding computers than the general population, and tend to view themselves as superior to the unwashed masses. If you don't know computers, you're out, such as programming and coding in both C++ and Java. Actually, I have no idea what I just said. I don't care about computers, honestly, which puts me among the unwashed masses.

A gamer can be the one who spends real money on phone games, the one who does world first content, the competitive multi class gladiator, the nerdraging 12 year old, the addict, the casual, the one who makes a living from Twitch. They are extremely different and would probably attack each other were they in the same room.

There might be a typical gamer though, with the motto: "I'm the best, no one knows shit about anything. Critisise everything and everyone, always, though never myself as I am perfect"

That is the typical gamer for me, who considers themselves to be way above the plebs that don't know LUA errors, analysing world of logs (zzz) or anything else really, yet somehow forget that they are actually not perfect and are indeed just assholes with an attitude no one wants to be around

yet, as I stated, gamers are very diverse, and you have a bunch of different people attracted to the same ting - games, though games themselves are also diverse.

What makes gamers special?

Nothing, other than certain indiviuals' attitude that they are the best

Deleted
    But what is a "gamer"?

People that play the entire day?
    People that play games professionally?
    People that play games a couple of hours a week if they have time to spare?

It is a marketing term. I have always hated the label.

Gamers are people who buy games and who buy into the made-up lifestyle that adviertisers would like you to live.

To sell their product.

I have never called myself a "Gamer" since it feels insulting. I am someone who enjoys Video Games.