question regarding decline of WPVP from a non-hardcore perspective

So for whatever reason i could never get into BGs or Arena play, but I remember "in the old days" how much i enjoyed World PVP.

Leveling an alt through outlands lastnight I realized what helped make wpvp so much more compelling then. I feel it had a lot to do with the world pvp objectives. Those zones always felt like wpvp was much more alive and well. plus it gave you a quick hop in hop out pvp objective without tying you into a queue or full BG. I'm no pvp hero, and don't actively pvp, but I did really enjoy wpvp as it once was. Not saying we'll ever have it back, but I am just curious what others thought.

I don't normally get into discussions about pvp here, so I wanted to ask the more knowledgeable what they thought of this notion. Thanks for humoring me.

Deleted
    There was PvP objectives in almost every zone of the burning Crusade. I remember doing world PvP in all of them while leveling.
    Also there was so much Rep/daily farm because it was mandatory and the optimal way to make gold to buy the epic flying mount skill (5000g).

The world was filled with players left and right.

I'm hoping in Legion we will have random world PvP objectives and players farming Legendaries and Class Hall quests in the world.
    Maybe World PvP will come back *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    There was PvP objectives in almost every zone of the burning Crusade. I remember doing world PvP in all of them while leveling.
    Also there was so much Rep/daily farm because it was mandatory and the optimal way to make gold to buy the epic flying mount skill (5000g).

The world was filled with players left and right.

I'm hoping in Legion we will have random world PvP objectives and players farming Legendaries and Class Hall quests in the world.
    Ya i remember being actively involved in world pvp while leveling and fighting people of my level in hellfire (until they max level buddy came along and i had to call my buddy and then it became a war). it all came back to me lastnight and i thought "seriously, wtf was wrong with this, it was fun".

I always felt the natural nature of it was much more engaging than organized pvp. plus if you were questing and noticed people were contesting it, you could drop what you were doing, jump in, fight over the objective, and when you were tired of it or one side gave up, you just went back to questing. it was nice.

the problem with pvp in wow is there's so much griefing that can occur. especially in an unbalanced faction situation. furthermore, if no one on your faction is doing world pvp objectives then you'll just get roflstomped and farmed. that just isn't fun.

The wow pvp servers should be changed to "levelling through pvp". instead of just wonton killing and griefing with some world objectives thrown in the whole world should be geared towards winning the zone one objective at a time. otherwise it's just something of a side mini game and realm for rogues to gank and run like sissies when you turn the tables on them. yeah i hate rogues.

anyway.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wpvp isnt popular because of two reasons: crz and flying.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Wpvp isnt popular because of two reasons: crz and flying.
    Three reasons: toys. Draenor toys are the worst thing to happen to WPvP in years.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Three reasons: toys. Draenor toys are the worst thing to happen to WPvP in years.
    I didnt play much wod but ill take your word for it. Its too easy to slip into a phased zone or escape through other means besides class mechanics
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    If you've been paying the slightest bit of attention to the PvP changes in Legion, you would not wish this in any way.

The Stat templates do not apply in World PvP, meaning that whatever rediculous stats you have in your gear are what will apply. Tanks will have between 5 and 10 times the HP of DPS - and still do comparable DPS. Tanks will be soloing 4-5 people.

Legendaries will work in World PvP.

World PvP is going to be awful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Exactly how do toys effect pvp, aside from changing your appearance or boasting your win?

Show us where the mean alliance player put his flag :')

Quote Originally Posted by Ezorus View Post
    Exactly how do toys effect pvp, aside from changing your appearance or boasting your win?
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=119093/avianas-feather
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=86583/salyin-battle-banner
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=115506/treessassins-guise

Lets you escape for one. There's another that will ress you, and I'm sure there's a few more.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2016-03-14 at 04:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flying is a stab in the neck for WPvP.
    Tanaan was a lot of fun until they added flying.

There are tons of contributing factors as many have mentioned, but I think the biggest problem is just the lack of people out in the actual world. I honestly can't tell you the last time I went to a zone in WoD that wasn't my garrison or a city, everything else is an instance you can queue for. The exception lately would be Tanaan, but as others mentioned with flying you can mostly avoid conflict and tbh the zone doesn't feel full of players most of the time anyway.

World PVP has always been something natural that occurs when there are a lot of players in the same area. Look back at the iconic World PVP areas that many of us remember. Dungeon hubs like Blackrock Mountain, high traffic leveling zones like Hillsbrad, Zone-based objectives such as Halaa. Most of them Blizzard never intended to be World PVP hotspots, it just happened. Even areas like Isle of Quel'danas or Timeless Isle which were designed as PVE areas became great World PVP areas because it put players together.

Unfortunately with a lot of the convenience features added to the game, some aspects of the game suffer, one of them being World PVP.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by ezorus View Post
    exactly how do toys effect pvp, aside from changing your appearance or boasting your win?

let loose the birds of lag!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

My realm still has plenty of WPvP, sadly most of the good WPvP was because of role playing and guild bases/boundries and natural friction that occurred. Zerg vs Zerg contests which is what lots of WPvP comes down to though has really hurt it in my opinion. But the other day a couple friends and I had a lovely fight Howling Fjord "pinging" the horde bases who brought people out to defend and was fun for a while with a nice 12 vs 15-18 man groups until a wall of red dropped on us and stopped all the fun. -Emerald Dream US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Almost every system added to WoW since TBC has been to prevent wPvP. I don't see it coming back. Most people don't even want it.

If there was an option to skip to 110 for free and have the gear to go right into raiding, with the ability to teleport anywhere on the map, the average MMO gamer these days would take it and then bitch that there is no content.

Give it a decade or so and a new wave of MMOs will come out that will hopefully correct all the damage WoW did to the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    Almost every system added to WoW since TBC has been to prevent wPvP. I don't see it coming back. Most people don't even want it.

If there was an option to skip to 110 for free and have the gear to go right into raiding, with the ability to teleport anywhere on the map, the average MMO gamer these days would take it and then bitch that there is no content.

Give it a decade or so and a new wave of MMOs will come out that will hopefully correct all the damage WoW did to the genre.
    Not likely, I'm sure one of the current MMOs came out trying to do that (Wildstar I think?) - promising 40 man raids, huge wPvP, etc... and realising that wasn't happening.

WoD would have been great for WPvP (in fact, it was decent when levelling...) - if it wasn't for the fact that as soon as you got to max level you never really had to leave your Garrison. The lack of flying is what made it great until people got the feather - no escape, no gank n fly away. If you're questing in an area you had the ability to kill someone, they had the ability to kill you. If you killed them and still had quests, chances are they'd come back for revenge - and you couldn't just afk in the air until they got bored either. It means you actually had to watch your surroundings for them coming back, others in the area, etc.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2016-03-16 at 10:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezorus View Post

One doesn't even have to look at the name-tag to realize who wrote this. This level of arrogance and cluelessness is pretty unique, even around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    [...]Thanks for humoring me.
    :3