Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    i dont want to be a woman anymore... its getting embarrassing

the only good thing is that i live nowhere near the very sane and nice ladies that think even air is sexist

“If you scroll through the emoji options ... there is a lot of pink and hearts and lipstick, kisses, a pink purse — a lot of emojis that are very stereotypically girly,” said Heather Payne, CEO of HackerYou, a Toronto-based programming boot camp. “Why isn’t there a police officer with a female haircut?”.
    Hmm yeah. Clearly nothing Sexist about saying there is such a thing as "Female Haircuts" ...
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who thought of Emojis as gender-less faces?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Emojis may not be sexist but they are retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might say something unconventional here, something many people will disagree with... But I don't think following sexist stereotypes in itself is being sexist. I'll try to explain what I mean by that.

For example, the dolls aimed at girls usually look something like this:
    https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.c...ip=color&w=838
    For boys, it is more often this:
    http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1vE9vJ...cm-MVFG234.jpg

Apparently, these dolls are based on sexist stereotypes: that guys tend to be more rough and strong physically, while girls tend to be more comely and family-focused. However, these stereotypes aren't exactly unfounded: this, indeed, is how our roles have been separated for the majority of our history. This separation, while greatly reduced nowadays, still exists. Encouraging this separation would be sexist, but merely following its trends when deciding what kind of dolls to make - would not.

Here is one premise that many people believe to be true when calling such things sexist: that acknowledging and following stereotypes implies agreement with these stereotypes. It is, apparently, false. I strongly disagree that, for example, "women are tender creatures", as someone said in another thread. However, this stereotype does exist. I can make jokes related to this stereotype; that doesn't imply that I believe in this stereotype holding true, merely that this stereotype exists. Same way, when I talk about an abstract physicist winning a Nobel Prize, I can use the word "he" when describing them: it doesn't mean that I think that a woman cannot, or is unlikely to, win the Nobel Prize in physics - however, statistics shows that, indeed, so far men have been doing it far more often, so it wouldn't be sexist to imply that the physicist in question is a man. What would be sexist, however, is to demand that one uses inclusive language: if someone criticizes me for referring to the physicist as "he" on the basis that it might be "she", then it is sexist, because the person believes that gender is somehow important in this circumstance, while I do not believe that.

So, whenever someone says, "Emojis are sexist, because they are based on gender stereotypes" - not only is he wrong, but he is also, ironically, being sexist, implying that the emojis' gender is somehow important. I don't mind it if the person asks for diversity in emojis, but I do mind it when someone wants to impose censorship just because some stereotypes hurt their feelings. There are many ways to fight off harmful stereotypes, and censorship is not one of them. Promoting the discussion on topic is, and that is what Tennisace and other posters frequenting these topics can be commended for (although the way he does it is questionable, at best). But calling someone sexist just because they follow the trends and acknowledge existing stereotypes - I think it does more harm than good.

---

Wow, I haven't put so much thought in my comments in a while!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

instead of bitching about it why not make an app to make those emojis? groundbreaking, you can thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I might say something unconventional here, something many people will disagree with... But I don't think following sexist stereotypes in itself is being sexist. I'll try to explain what I mean by that.

For example, the dolls aimed at girls usually look something like this:
    https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.c...ip=color&w=838
    For boys, it is more often this:
    http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1vE9vJ...cm-MVFG234.jpg

Apparently, these dolls are based on sexist stereotypes: that guys tend to be more rough and strong physically, while girls tend to be more comely and family-focused. However, these stereotypes aren't exactly unfounded: this, indeed, is how our roles have been separated for the majority of our history. This separation, while greatly reduced nowadays, still exists. Encouraging this separation would be sexist, but merely following its trends when deciding what kind of dolls to make - would not.

Here is one premise that many people believe to be true when calling such things sexist: that acknowledging and following stereotypes implies agreement with these stereotypes. It is, apparently, false. I strongly disagree that, for example, "women are tender creatures", as someone said in another thread. However, this stereotype does exist. I can make jokes related to this stereotype; that doesn't imply that I believe in this stereotype holding true, merely that this stereotype exists. Same way, when I talk about an abstract physicist winning a Nobel Prize, I can use the word "he" when describing them: it doesn't mean that I think that a woman cannot, or is unlikely to, win the Nobel Prize in physics - however, statistics shows that, indeed, so far men have been doing it far more often, so it wouldn't be sexist to imply that the physicist in question is a man. What would be sexist, however, is to demand that one uses inclusive language: if someone criticizes me for referring to the physicist as "he" on the basis that it might be "she", then it is sexist, because the person believes that gender is somehow important in this circumstance, while I do not believe that.

So, whenever someone says, "Emojis are sexist, because they are based on gender stereotypes" - not only is he wrong, but he is also, ironically, being sexist, implying that the emojis' gender is somehow important. I don't mind it if the person asks for diversity in emojis, but I do mind it when someone wants to impose censorship just because some stereotypes hurt their feelings. There are many ways to fight off harmful stereotypes, and censorship is not one of them. Promoting the discussion on topic is, and that is what Tennisace and other posters frequenting these topics can be commended for (although the way he does it is questionable, at best). But calling someone sexist just because they follow the trends and acknowledge existing stereotypes - I think it does more harm than good.

---

Wow, I haven't put so much thought in my comments in a while!
    I agree. Those are inoffensive stereotypes used to represent a very broad and varied concept, topic, etc. It will never be specific to every single person due to it being a stereotype and a gross generalization by nature. The fact that people cannot realize this and instead need some kind of representation specific to them in order to feel validated is troubling. Stereotypes can be bad and really unfair to the groups they involve when taken to extremes by prejudiced people, but when it's just shit like "man has broad shoulders while woman has hourglass figure", or "man is cop while lady is nurse", it's ridiculous. Yes we know there are fat men & women, as well as female officers and male nurses, you've seen them your-fucking-self. You'd do much better to spend that energy on stereotypes that are actually toxic.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2016-03-09 at 05:58 AM.

What in the flying fuck is wrong with people these days? Holy damn is there *NOTHING ELSE* to complain about?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittahsmash View Post
    Holy damn is there *NOTHING ELSE* to complain about?
    cause feminism is more or less a political force now rather than a social movement.
    So they cant just hang up the coat and pat themselves on the back.

They need to find something, anything, no matter how asinine or retarded, to justify their existanmce.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read in my entire life. And I just finished reading the article about the man who sold his 18 month old daughter for an iPhone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I mean it doesn't have a ponytail so...
    But, I have a ponytail and I'm male.

I want masculine police officers and construction workers with ponytails!
    Last edited by Santti; 2016-03-09 at 06:11 AM.

Fuck it. Why not? Sure. Fake outrage is the new pink, and there is plenty of it all over these things.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    I agree. Those are inoffensive stereotypes used to represent a very broad and varied concept, topic, etc. It will never be specific to every single person due to it being a stereotype and a gross generalization by nature. The fact that people cannot realize this and instead need some kind of representation specific to them in order to feel validated is troubling. Stereotypes can be bad and really unfair to the groups they involve, but when it's just shit like "man has broad shoulders while woman has hourglass figure", or "man is cop while lady is nurse", it's ridiculous. Yes we know there are fat men & women, as well as female officers and male nurses, you've seen them your-fucking-self. You'd do much better to spend that energy on stereotypes that are actually toxic.
    Pretty much. Most stereotypes (probably almost all of them) have some basis, they aren't just made up out of the air. They do not apply to every single person, and they do not even always describe general trends well - but there is some relevance to them. When one is writing a book and having a man being a cop and a woman being a nurse, complaining about them using gender stereotypes when assigning the roles would be pretty ridiculous: yes, they did follow stereotypes, probably - doesn't mean they supported these stereotypes, or believed that they represent every single cop and every single nurse in the world. I would even say that toxic stereotypes aren't too bad, when they aren't encouraged. "Men think only about sex" is one of really toxic stereotypes, apparently false for the vast majority of population (and probably even for every single man in the world) - however, in a Hollywood movie display of a man that thinks only about sex is not necessarily sexist. Sexist would be to somehow claim that, say, most men are like that - which, within the scope of one single movie, is pretty much impossible to do anyway. And whenever a girl jokes about me being a man and, hence, thinking only about sex, I never get offended and always laugh and counter the joke with another similar joke. Now, if some crazy feminazi starts seriously accusing me in thinking only about sex, I might bite - but, apparently, the emojis from OP have nothing to do with such violent intents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittahsmash View Post
    What in the flying fuck is wrong with people these days? Holy damn is there *NOTHING ELSE* to complain about?
    I'd say all problems should be discussed, even the minor ones. Sure, there is a lot to complain about. But this doesn't make me feel any better, for example, when I accidentally spill my coffee on my keyboard.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's a big newspaper and they report on a lot of things. The OP was browsing the site and thought this was worth discussing here.
    Why do you refer to yourself in the third person so often?

So glad to see the real issues that plague modern society are finally addressed. Like screw everything else. The pressing matter of the gender of emojis is where the real problem is at.

(Sorry, felt like sarcasm was the only proper response)

10+ Year Old Account
    Fucking hell, are people just listing of random shit now so they can be offended by it? do these people just sit in their rooms and think "what should I be offended about next, AH! the emojis! that´s it! they be sexist me tells ya!!".

Aliens plz come and take me of this planet, I no longer wish to be here anymore, it's turning into Idiocracy.
    Last edited by Torched; 2016-03-09 at 06:33 AM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Aliens plz come and take me of this planet, I no longer wish to be here anymore, it's turning into Idiocracy.
    Given their quality of life, I'm pretty sure aliens complain about the problems we don't even notice in our lives. You would probably be disappointed, if they took you off this planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Given their quality of life, I'm pretty sure aliens complain about the problems we don't even notice in our lives. You would probably be disappointed, if they took you off this planet.
    Well at least they won't be whining about everything being sexist, I hope.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

I'm a tomboy and am completely sick of everything girl being pink, but I think their are more important things in the world. I mean I'm looking at the iOS emojis and none look sexist to me...like this cop ������������ could be a boy or girl, girl cops don't keep their hair down.
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Well at least they won't be whining about everything being sexist, I hope.
    Plot twist: Anita Sarkeesian is an alien in disguise! An alien trolling humanity for their amusement.