Deleted

Are we technologically advanced?

Are we technologically advanced to produce a laptop that is slim, contains 20 hour of battery (gaming mode) has the best graphics that can support AAA games smoothly ? This is my dream Laptop so far. Perhaps a 5G card that supports fast internet anywhere in the world (with unlimited tariff)

Quote Originally Posted by hazol View Post
    Are we technologically advanced to produce a laptop that is slim, contains 20 hour of battery (gaming mode) has the best graphics that can support AAA games smoothly ? This is my dream Laptop so far. Perhaps a 5G card that supports fast internet anywhere in the world (with unlimited tariff)
    Slim AND those qualities? No not yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Technologically advanced compared to the past. There's no independent measurement of how advanced we are.

People used to think the radio was advanced.

Deleted
    has the best graphics
    Laptops will never outperform desktops, in any regard. Why? Because the bigger you can make something, the more powerful it will be. So, in case you were wishing for a laptop that will have the best graphics as far as all gaming machines go, that will never happen. In the same vein, desktop graphics will always outperform miniaturized laptop graphics, and games will still be designed for desktops, so that'll be a stumbling block for laptops.

Also, in case you're adding screens to the concept of "graphics", laptop screens will absolutely never match desktop monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Laptops will never outperform desktops, in any regard. Why? Because the bigger you can make something, the more powerful it will be. So, in case you were wishing for a laptop that will have the best graphics as far as all gaming machines go, that will never happen. In the same vein, desktop graphics will always outperform miniaturized laptop graphics, and games will still be designed for desktops, so that'll be a stumbling block for laptops.

Also, in case you're adding screens to the concept of "graphics", laptop screens will absolutely never match desktop monitors.
    Really depends on if companies will continue to develop desktop computers in the same way they do now. I think some at least see the laptop market as the future.

Deleted

People never thought we would discover flying, yet, we got it. Saying something is impossible in todays age is kinda laughable. Why you ask? A laptop is a portable machine, which is a benefit to everybody. I personally would love to have this kind of laptop where if I am bored, I can just open my laptop and enjoy the FPS of any game that is released in the current year. Currently I see laptops that cost around 2000$+ that have mechanical keyboards, good specs, though the thickness, weight, battery and the noise is a let down.

It takes a lot of power to support a powerful GPU, my gaming laptop, at the time, had the best graphic card you can buy for a laptop and it still doesn't hold a candle to my desktop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think what is far more likely to happen first is far better wireless transmission (like extremely fast (in response and bandwidth) and reliable)... And with that you just have a dedicated machine at home or at work that you can stream to what is basically just a monitor you carry around.

Gaming laptops can only get so small, if for no other reason than the battery and cooling.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're going to have to make a compromise somewhere there, cause you wont get 20 hours battery life on max graphics settings just yet, if a game is running the whole time, neither is it going to be particularly slim in shape.

I feel like the limiting factor laptops is not going to be chip-size etc, but heat and the dissipation of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laptops are for chumps.

Deleted
    People never thought we would discover flying, yet, we got it. Saying something is impossible in todays age is kinda laughable.
    When you come up with a new method of miniaturization where efficiency relative to size actually increases instead of decreasing, then sure. Until then, it's mathematical logic.

Why you ask? A laptop is a portable machine, which is a benefit to everybody.
    Has nothing to do with how miniaturization works.

I personally would love to have this kind of laptop where if I am bored, I can just open my laptop and enjoy the FPS of any game that is released in the current year. Currently I see laptops that cost around 2000$+ that have mechanical keyboards, good specs, though the thickness, weight, battery and the noise is a let down.
    Has nothing to do with how miniaturization works.

I'm thinking you're trying to make a case about how desktops will no longer be developed, and everyone will instead be using laptops, but there's absolutely nothing to support that idea. As long as there are desktops, they will always outperform laptops.

Unless, and this is a big unless... Unless there's a company specialized in making laptop parts, that has some secret technology not available to the competitors. Hasn't happened yet, though, and most parts developers and manufacturers make parts for both desktops and laptops, hence they're utilizing the same technology in both cases.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Best graphics and 20 hour battery life while gaming are pretty much exclusive concepts. High end graphics are incredibly power hungry.

You can get something like a MSI Dominator Pro which features a desktop graphic card for top end performance, but it'll only last about 3 hours on battery. You can get something a bit more modest, but good luck getting more than, say, 7 hours of battery life for anything considered to be a gaming laptop.

Even business laptops (so not for gaming) last a maximum of about 15 hours (surfing on wireless), so 20 hours is not anywhere on the horizon for a serious gaming rig.

I think in the very near future livestreaming will solve that. Instead of making the consumer buy a computer to calculate and draw things, the server does everything for you and sends you a video feed. Play ultra+ graphic AAA games on your phone, even. Would also greatly combat hacking, certain bots, and dataminers, and devs wouldn't have to worry about compatibility issues for low end systems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzael View Post
    I think in the very near future livestreaming will solve that. Instead of making the consumer buy a computer to calculate and draw things, the server does everything for you and sends you a video feed. Play ultra+ graphic AAA games on your phone, even. Would also greatly combat hacking, certain bots, and dataminers, and devs wouldn't have to worry about compatibility issues for low end systems.
    Onlive is a great example, though they went bankrupt

Deleted
    Desktops will still be developed for work purposes; graphic design, architecture, video editing, all that jazz will still require the most powerful machine possible, and that'll be a desktop. Thus, as long as they're developed and used, people will want to play on them, and thus desktop gaming PCs will always exist as long as work PCs exist.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I think what is far more likely to happen first is far better wireless transmission (like extremely fast (in response and bandwidth) and reliable)... And with that you just have a dedicated machine at home or at work that you can stream to what is basically just a monitor you carry around.

Gaming laptops can only get so small, if for no other reason than the battery and cooling.
    My mate has this tiny asus atom based PC that he streams steam games on to great effect. Stuff like kerbal space program that would mercilessly violate an atom with a 30ft barge pole. It works really well, probably not FPS quality just yet but the age of the satellite PC or whatever you wish to call it is already upon us.

Oh, since it is not processing anything like this either it is getting 10+ hours of battery life, all in all rather neat I think but still sort of a niche thing.

and thus desktop gaming PCs will always exist as long as work PCs exist.
    I agree with this, there was a big thing about the desktop dying in the near future what? 4-5 years ago and that is basically not happening. The guy that said PC+ era was most correct. Unfortunately mobility is usually at the expense of productivity so it just will not happen, not for a long time.
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2016-03-09 at 10:30 PM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you're comparing. Sure we're advanced compared to 10k years ago, but if time has no end then we're almost not advanced and on a scale, closer to 0 than any other point.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-03-09 at 10:12 PM.