Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to mages lately, but I was wondering... how far behind the other talents and specs would a lonely winter mage fall?

How much of a dps loss is it compared to the other talents, and how much worse than fire/arcane would it be?
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    So, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to mages lately, but I was wondering... how far behind the other talents and specs would a lonely winter mage fall?

How much of a dps loss is it compared to the other talents, and how much worse than fire/arcane would it be?
    Like you, I really enjoy lonely winter for the sake of glacial spike; however, according to icy veins it's not viable at all. This is due to the fact that our weapon artifact really benefits thermal void as our final talent (Frostbolt crits reduce Icy veins cd, Icy veins 20% damage increase, etc). if they balanced the artifact talents more, glacial spike would probably be more viable. I would check out icy veins for more details.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sw1tch View Post
    Like you, I really enjoy lonely winter for the sake of glacial spike; however, according to icy veins it's not viable at all. This is due to the fact that our weapon artifact really benefits thermal void as our final talent (Frostbolt crits reduce Icy veins cd, Icy veins 20% damage increase, etc). if they balanced the artifact talents more, glacial spike would probably be more viable. I would check out icy veins for more details.
    I don't necessarily care about glacial spike, I just don't want to deal with a pet and that water squirt it does.

Edit: I just wanted to know the numerical difference between the optimal Lonely Winter build and other builds. Mostly I'd run mage as an alt, and progression isn't a big deal for it. If I can get away with doing world quests and maybe some form of mythic+ running as Lonely winter without dragging the team down, then I'd enjoy it.

But if LW is going to be over a 10% or so difference between specs/builds, then I might as well bench the mage for another expansion.
    Last edited by Sylreick; 2016-08-30 at 12:30 AM.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post

But if LW is going to be over a 10% or so difference between specs/builds, then I might as well bench the mage for another expansion.
    You should be able to beat Disc priests on the meters using LW. Probably. Maybe.