Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What Is Your Favorite Book?

Mine is The Count of Monte Cristo.

I have so many it's hard to choose really.

2 of my favourite series though are:

The Banned and the Banished series by James Clemens:
    Wit'ch Fire
    Wit'ch Storm
    Wit'ch War
    Wit'ch Gate
    Wit'ch Star

And Earths Children series by Jean M. Auel:
    1 The Clan of the Cave Bear
    2 The Valley of Horses
    3 The Mammoth Hunters
    4 The Plains of Passage
    5 The Shelters of Stone
    6 The Land of Painted Caves

Both amazing series I have read multiple times <3

A few notable others are James Herbert:
    Portent
    Others
    Once

Deleted
    the hobbit
    such a colorful book

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Le Petit Prince
    I watched a bit of then Gene Wilder movie of that the other day... so strange, but I've heard the movies nothing on the book. So it made me curious, and I've been thinking or giving it a read.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centuari instruction manual. It's about twice as long as roots, atlas shrugged, and shogun put together, but it'll teach you some pretty nifty tech strategies.

Different points in my life I had different favorites, Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin and it's TV adaptation, Game of Thrones, Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky, and a lot of non-fiction stuff like Evel Knevles biography and the autobiography of this lady who was a hand maid to Lady Astor back in the 20's and 30's. Mostly non-fiction these days.

If you want a good book to read read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Deleted
    Qu'ran

/10 char

The Wheel Of Time Series by Robert Jordan

10/10 best books out there

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    The Wheel Of Time Series by Robert Jordan

10/10 best books out there
    I've read the series twice. Sanderson really did a good job wrapping it up so props to him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I watched a bit of then Gene Wilder movie of that the other day... so strange, but I've heard the movies nothing on the book. So it made me curious, and I've been thinking or giving it a read.
    It's a rather short piece, so if you have a couple hours to kill give it a go. Make sure to get a copy with the watercolors (like this one).
    I've given it as a present in multiple occasions. It truly is a wonderful thing to read.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ender's Game.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

The Skulduggery Pleasant series

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan!

10+ Year Old Account
    My most favorite is The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

I have tons of other "favorite" books but that one tops my list.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Mine is The Count of Monte Cristo.
    Also mine
    /10 char

10+ Year Old Account
    Anabasis* of Alexander - Arrian - a story of military genius, told using contemporary accounts that are now lost.

Anabasis* - Xenophon - a great Boys Own-style adventure story, based on actual events and told by one of the participants. Thalatta! Thalatta!

The Histories - Herodotus - history of the Greco-Persian Wars, retelling historical accounts from the world as known to the Ancient Greeks. Regarded as both the Father of History and the Father of Lies, Herodotus was a fantastic storyteller.

History of the Peloponnesian War - Thukydides - the clue is in the title. A bit dry and clinical for some, he is almost the opposite of Herodotus.

The Byzantium Trilogy - John Julius Norwich - the history of the rise and fall of the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) Empire, full of heroism, betrayal, scandal, piety, deceit, violence and petty arguments about minor theological issues.

Anything written by - Major-General J.F.C. Fuller - wrote a lot on analysis of great commanders in military history, e.g. books on Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar and Napoleon, and, somewhat unfortunately, inspired Blitzkreig tactics used in WWII. He was a bit of a shit.

*Anabasis means a march inwards.

I haven't read actual books in a long time since there is very few that spark my interest. Instead I find good "amateur" stories on different art/writing sites. Majority of that stuff isn't very good, but there are some really good gems among them. Even the lesser quality ones are good enough, if I can ignore some of the problems. Other than that I also write my own stuff. Even, if I know what is supposed to happen, somehow even self written stories go in ways that you didn't even think of when you get to that point. Characters live their own life.

Though... to answer this thread. My fav series is "The Farseer" series by Robin Hobb. It's sequel wasn't as good, but it does wrap up the story. I just don't like things that happend in it. I felt sad.

Another good fantasy book series was "The Belgariad" from David Eddings. Yet again it's sequel wasn't as good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Facebook

/10 char