Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

So I Finally Believe

...and guess who pushed me over the line and into believing in man-made climate change?

Bill Nye -yup - the fucking 'Science Guy'.

I had been watching a lot of Youtube videos with him discussing the matter and I began to shift towards that direction over time. Much like my girlish swooning over Dawkins made me accept the 'Theory of Evolutionary' as current indisputable fact; especially in the face of creationism. These two people have contributed much to my questioning of things whilst in an otherwise heavily Conservative controlled region.

So what was the final push?

I went ahead and purchased his book, 'Unstoppable', which basically retaliates against every denier tactic in great detail along with offering solutions and the likes. While I haven't completed the entirety of the book, what I have read, has been very illuminating and pleasant. Basically, he's managed to answer and clarify all of my uncertainties and do so in a manner that no one else could. It wasn't a matter of me being in denial but me being a skeptic, whilst most supporters poorly represented the fight and therefore did little to sway me.

Mind you I grew up with Bill Nye and so naturally, I had a very open and willing attitude towards hearing him out even now in my adulthood.

I highly advise any deniers out there or people on the fence, to go pick up his book. It's thus far been a great read and he treats you like an intelligent, rational human being while trying to keep things laymen and lighthearted; yet helping you to realize that all of the ability of deduction and reason reside within you in order to come to grips with our reality and the challenge we face.

Oh and using more of a reflecting material for rooftops across the U.S.A. to refract heat from the sun back into space? I never heard of this. Not once. All I ever hear of is carbon tax, carbon tax, carbon tax; which I didn't see working, period, or at least without a larger, more comprehensive plan in place. It's nice to actually get some solutions to our problems from someone besides a goddamn politician.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

Something even more amazing than man made global warming is man made denial of global warming. The evidence is overwhelming, and its been precented as clearly as humanly possible in a hundred diffrent ways yet ppl still deny it. So scientists started studying it to figure out why ppl are denying it. Turns out our biology has alot to do with it.

watch it, it was suprisingly intresting.

Unfortunately a carbon tax will always beat over new inventions because freedumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Something even more amazing than man made global warming is man made denial of global warming. The evidence is overwhelming, and its been precented as clearly as humanly possible in a hundred diffrent ways yet ppl still deny it. So scientists started studying it to figure out why ppl are denying it. Turns out our biology has alot to do with it.

watch it, it was suprisingly intresting.
    Well not only that but the fossil fueled industries are terrified of the prospects, that if we took this threat seriously, our consumption of fossil fuels all across the board would plummet and essentially send their once lucrative businesses into a nose-dive. So, in turn, they lobby and spend truckloads of money to counter them.

My grandfather looks at sites constantly that are essentially nothing more than counters to man-made climate change mills, constantly churning out one article after another about how incompetent the scientific community is and how "elitist" they are. These sites, doubtlessly, are the brainchild of industries fighting against this movement on a ground level.

I had to tell him several times, "You may think that there is some 'one world' agenda going on behind the scenes but have you ever considered who is the one espousing this rhetoric to begin with? Money doesn't always flow in one direction. Everyone has their interests. Everyone wants to save their own ass; even as impending doom approaches."

Deleted
    it's never been about believing, but about not being willfully ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I still find it weird that people outright deny that humans even potentially have the ability to alter the climate on a global scale, even though it is plain we can do so on a local scale. What happens when you alter enough local climates? lol...
    Right. We can destroy entire coastlines and ecosystems. Have and brought them back more often than not showing a direct correlation between our ability to not only damage the environment but also heal it. To say that we don't have influence over the entire globe when we're billions strong(and our footprint that much stronger) is being a little misleading to one's own critical thinking.

So I'm curious, is man made climate change proven scientific fact or is it still just a widely accepted scientific theory like evolution?
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The only lies here are the bullshit coming from you. RBG appears to be immortal.

Maybe because there used to be vineyards in my country in Middle Ages, but now there is too fucking cold for them to grow? But no, surely climate getting warmer would not happen without humans. I won't waste my precious time reading some long books just to prove some poitn to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Maybe because there used to be vineyards in my country in Middle Ages, but now there is too fucking cold for them to grow? But no, surely climate getting warmer would not happen without humans. I won't waste my precious time reading some long books just to prove some poitn to you.
    Climate change is not a linear, uniform heating process.

You're way oversimplifying it; if it was that simple we wouldn't have needed nearly a century to build the theory to this point. Nobody is really going to take you seriously if you're time is too precious to get even a basic idea of what scientists are and have actually been saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Anecdotal evidence of climate in a specific region along the Atlantic(and that's all it was, not global) is not the same as a worldwide phenomenon.

Even if the instance in discussion WAS global, all it does is confirm that the planet does have shifts on its own; however, compiling our own greenhouse gases into the atmosphere will only act as a multiplier to this occurrence making it happen much more rapidly in a manner that cannot be adapted to by us nor the rest of the planet's inhabitants.

It's like saying, "Well fires happen anyway. Let's not work to mitigate nor prepare for their eventuality but rather plug too many chords into our power outlets. Set flammable material next to hot surfaces. Keep burning candles next to drapes. I mean they happen anyway, right?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    So I'm curious, is man made climate change proven scientific fact or is it still just a widely accepted scientific theory like evolution?
    haha this post is excellent. i rate 9/11.

Infracted for minor spam.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2016-03-14 at 12:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if climate change is man made, I honestly don't know how any one can know all of this is 100% sure.

But that's not the thing.

Better acting like it's happening, because if it does not happen, we would have done the necessary to take care of our home, and if it does happen, same thing.
    Right ?

Anyone stating that it's no big deal is not worthy of having Earth as their home.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-03-12 at 07:57 PM.

So you didn't believe in the climate change theory at all before you read Bill Nye?

The theory's been around for decades. Today pretty much everyone believes it, they've now taken the stance that it won't affect them or they don't care.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Not sure why it took you so long to acknowledge scientific fact. It's certainly not something to boast or feel good about if you've willingly had your head in the sand for this long.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    So you didn't believe in the climate change theory at all before you read Bill Nye?

The theory's been around for decades. Today pretty much everyone believes it, they've now taken the stance that it won't affect them or they don't care.
    I said prior to the book I had been looking up Youtube videos and keeping something of an eye on it; that said, I could never find anyone who could explain it for two shits or debunk claims of denial. I've even been in several arguments on here concerning it and again, no good retorts, no good counter-arguments that could satisfy me. It all kept coming back to me having to dig through a U.N. organization's documents basically(I do not like the U.N. at all for the record, they come across as the height of corruption to me) and not really being satisfied by what I did find.

Namely because, to be blunt, it's in disjointed formats that are difficult to comprehend at face value.

Knowing Bill Nye to be a reputable sort, an American no less(you can tell I have a great deal of respect for him) with a great hope and value placed within this country, gave me more eagerness to listen to him specifically. He also, most importantly, was able to explain very clearly and without a muddled mess as to how the data is collected, what it means, and from there counter the claims of denial. Much more impressively than I've seen anyone do thus far, on this forum or elsewhere; he's what made me hop off of the fence rather than continue to straddle it for a while longer.

I am an extremely skeptical sort and it takes the right person or the right mentality to get me to accept something. That and growing up in a conservative part of the world creates an inherent extra layer of defense around me beyond just my skepticism. It's also a right-leaning sort of skepticism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Not sure why it took you so long to acknowledge scientific fact. It's certainly not something to boast or feel good about if you've willingly had your head in the sand for this long.
    I like how you get another person that's going to advocate on behalf of something for the benefit of humanity and all you can do is dog them.

Well done, let's add that to the list of why people won't believe. They'll get ridiculed and treated like shit at this point for not joining the club sooner.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2016-03-12 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    It's a scientific theory like evolution, but your phrasing makes it sound as though you don't understand that a theory and a scientific theory are not the same thing. The former is simply a guess or conjecture, while the latter is a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation. Gravity, for example, is also a theory, but no one would deny that it exists simply because of the terminology.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    --SNIP--

The truth is out there bro

"I want to believe"-Fox molder

Don't post memes. Especially don't post "didn't read"
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-03-12 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    I like how you get another person that's going to advocate on behalf of something for the benefit of humanity and all you can do is dog them.

Well done, let's add that to the list of why people won't believe. They'll get ridiculed and treated like shit at this point for not joining the club sooner.
    It's long been recognized that antagonism is a really stupid way to try and convince people, but we have a lot of people who try that.

I'm guilty of it, as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Irony is not a scientific argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    It's long been recognized that antagonism is a really stupid way to try and convince people, but we have a lot of people who try that.

I'm guilty of it, as well.
    We all are - well, most of us anyway. It's natural to want to demean your opposition, make them smaller than what they are. That said, why do it after they've actually come to believe what you believe and want to help? That's so counter-productive I actually laughed despite my agitation with it.