Page 1 of 2
LastLast

TSM has gone nagware

As of today or thereabouts the addon nags you about updating Auction_DB, and SapU is deliberately delaying updates to Curse, thereby funneling people to the $2/month "premium" service.

SapU's crotchety masterpiece is rapidly losing its allure.

This didn't go well for oQueue and although SapU seems not to give a crap about pretty much any user feedback, I hope it goes just as well for TSM. It's time for someone to rewrite that mess from the ground up anyway.

Had to look this up. Thought you were talking about the LoL team.
    Looks over complicated in a world where you can get gold cap from garrisons.

Never happy to see this action taken though. Does it effect a lot of people?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Had to look this up. Thought you were talking about the LoL team.
    Looks over complicated in a world where you can get gold cap from garrisons.

Never happy to see this action taken though. Does it effect a lot of people?
    It affects auction and crafting goblins. How many people that is, I really don't know.

TSM is in fact considerably overcomplicated and the redesigns haven't done much to improve that.

Hehehe, dude went to the darkside, sad to see fellow developers going there, but dude is breaking ui add-on development policy articles #1 and #5, #5 in particular, if he nags for donations, his sorry ass should be reported, lel.

Well he doesnt nag for donation directly, but it nags that addon is not updated and you should go update to ensure TSM functions properly. Now everything would be fine with this if update would actually be pushed to curse (or at least their website), however when only way to get update atm is premium service its shady.

I hesitantly reinstalled TSM via curse over the weekend (having stopped using it when this initially came up). I have no issues with auctionDB or anything nagging me at all currently... you sure you've got latest version on curse OP? I know curse client often fails to say when an update is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I hesitantly reinstalled TSM via curse over the weekend (having stopped using it when this initially came up). I have no issues with auctionDB or anything nagging me at all currently... you sure you've got latest version on curse OP? I know curse client often fails to say when an update is needed.
    I guess you are not using TSM desktop app to update AH database? because this happens when addon detects database is different version then addon.

Quote Originally Posted by SoLoR1 View Post
    I guess you are not using TSM desktop app to update AH database? because this happens when addon detects database is different version then addon.
    Yes, using the desktop app. Currently running TSM/apphelper/auctiondb/shopping/auctioning
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

7+ Year Old Account
    Well he doesnt nag for donation directly, but it nags that addon is not updated and you should go update to ensure TSM functions properly. Now everything would be fine with this if update would actually be pushed to curse (or at least their website), however when only way to get update atm is premium service its shady.
    Yeah, it sounds like it's a "clever" attempt to rules lawyer the addon development policy. Blizzard does not take kindly to rules lawyering though. I just use Auctionator anyway, it's good enough for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Foj View Post
    As of today or thereabouts the addon nags you about updating Auction_DB, and SapU is deliberately delaying updates to Curse, thereby funneling people to the $2/month "premium" service.
    That's not the case at all, I'm not sure what led you to that conclusion. Curse doesn't update instantly regardless of how else an addon may be distributed.

An update to AuctionDB was released at 04:31 GMT and was available on Curse by 05:31 GMT once it was processed by them.

Premium is not required to download any of the TSM addons or to make them function in game, and it never will be. The popup to suggest receiving an update is to ensure that TSM continues to function and to reduce the amount of people seeking support when a quick update of their addons will usually fix a problem they're experiencing.

Deleted
    just to mirror Gumdrops's comments this is not an attempt to delay any updates - this is purely the curse client being behind the curve (as happens often).
    Check it out for yourself on curseforge - the update was pushed through early this morning GMT - the ingame message is to prevent the many support requests we get that are solved by updating.

This is indeed true... didnt even come to my mind to check curseforge v3.1.2 for 6.2.3 9 hours ago oh well, cba to manually update... ill wait for curse client to wake up ;>

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like it's a "clever" attempt to rules lawyer the addon development policy. Blizzard does not take kindly to rules lawyering though. I just use Auctionator anyway, it's good enough for my needs.
    Actually, Blizzard doesn't care. Curse blocked oQueue due to the "donate beer" link, but Blizzard never touched it. It worked for all of MoP.

So basically a whole lot of salt over a 10 hour delay ?

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    So basically a whole lot of salt over a 10 hour delay ?
    It seems so yeh Still not working though :P thing is... when you have ~30+ chars... and doing garrison missions and this poping up every time on each of them... kinda starts to annoy you really fast

It seems so yeh Still not working though :P thing is... when you have ~30+ chars... and doing garrison missions and this poping up every time on each of them... kinda starts to annoy you really fast
    It takes 10 seconds to update it manually.

Deleted
    Sapu is one of the better developers I've ever worked with, don't spread lies because you're too lazy to update your addon :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gumdrops View Post
    Premium is not required to download any of the TSM addons or to make them function in game, and it never will be. The popup to suggest receiving an update is to ensure that TSM continues to function and to reduce the amount of people seeking support when a quick update of their addons will usually fix a problem they're experiencing.
    Nonsense, it's a pointless nag that directs people to "premium." You can call it whatever you want though, and blame the Curse client, sure. Of course you could re-enable updating through the TSM client if you actually cared about people getting their updates.

Hell, you could let people decide whether to donate to you instead of paywalling everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Foj View Post
    Nonsense, it's a pointless nag that directs people to "premium." You can call it whatever you want though, and blame the Curse client, sure. Of course you could re-enable updating through the TSM client if you actually cared about people getting their updates.

Hell, you could let people decide whether to donate to you instead of paywalling everything.
    Nothing is "paywalled" - and automatic updates through the TSM app was available to everyone during the beta test of TSM3 as there were lots of frequent/small updates that would have been missed/overlooked if people had to do that manually.

The update is available through Curse and has been since it was pushed from TSM, it's not our fault that the Curse Client hasn't caught up and made it available - however we have changed it so that the message is delayed by 24 hours to give Curse time to process the updates we make available.
    Last edited by Gumdrops; 2016-03-14 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    Sapu is one of the better developers I've ever worked with, don't spread lies because you're too lazy to update your addon :/
    If this goes on me... i didnt start topic at all, all i did was stated some facts as i knew them (did not check curseforge) and just implied that if original post is true it might be bit shady. You know how we all love conspiracy theories! I know i can manually update it... duh ;< or change version string inside appdata.lua or do 2-3 more things to get rid of naging. im just lazy atm :P