Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Canada to provide thousands of refugees with computers

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/syri...nada-1.3490340

question this investment will have a positive impact on individuals and families, but there's also a bonus here for the Canadian economy more broadly," he said. "So many of the jobs of the future rely on digital skills. Economic growth in all of our sectors depend on our ability to adapt, adopt and integrate digital technologies. It really is a win-win situation."

The computers will be distributed by various resettlement organizations, which will also provide digital skills training.

Enhanced job opportunities

The program, which will be run through Computers for Schools, is meant to help new arrivals gain skills for job opportunities, and also help them keep connected with family members abroad. It has also partnered with organizations to bundle complementary services, including:

CIBC is offering a low-cost banking package for new Canadians.
    CN is providing transportation for donated computers.
    Facebook is offering MediaSmarts online safety information in Arabic.
    Microsoft is donating Windows and Office licences for every computer provided to a Syrian refugee.
    ​The news conference was held at CultureLink Settlement Services, a refugee settlement organization in downtown Toronto.

In addition to adapting to a new culture and society, Syrian refugees are working to find housing, employment, education and, in some cases, obtain a driver's licence.

In large cities such as Toronto, hundreds of refugees have been living in hotels while searching for affordable housing.

Newfoundland Syrian Refugees
    Syrian refugees listen to speakers at a recent orientation event held in St. John's. (Mark Quinn/CBC)

Last month, the government reached its target of bringing 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister John McCallum said efforts will now focus on helping the newcomers find permanent living arrangements, jobs and language training.

Today, he met with his provincial and territorial counterparts in Ottawa to discuss immigration and refugee targets and the resettlement process.

"We are definitely pleased overall with the success of the Syrian mission, but there are many questions in terms of how we will implement it well moving forward in terms of language training, jobs and housing and so on," he said.

So far, 1,077 government-assisted refugees have been settled into homes in the Greater Toronto Area, while another 850 are still waiting in hotels across the city, according to COSTI immigrant services, which helps refugees and immigrants settle in Canada.
    What a country! So proud.

Good For You Canada!.

Seems like a good way to help integration.

Deleted
    I'm so proud to live only a couple of thousand miles from your border.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know people are going to dismiss the as a Tennisace thread but seriously ask yourself who's immigration policy will lead to more self radicilization, Trudeau or Trump? If you want people to assimilate you need to make them feel included. Canada is doing more than giving people a home, they are giving them a chance to succeed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I know people are going to dismiss the as a Tennisace thread but seriously ask yourself who's immigration policy will lead to more self radicilization, Trudeau or Trump? If you want people to assimilate you need to make them feel included. Canada is doing more than giving people a home, they are giving them a chance to succeed.
    Or you just don't let any in in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I prefer trumps policy.

Ill take Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    What the shit, where is my free computer!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you're going to let refugees in then doing everything you can to integrate them and make them productive members of society is a good thing. I'll be curious to see where this goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Or you just don't let any in in the first place.
    That's a terrible policy considering America was built on immigrants.

7+ Year Old Account
    Free food and computer access are not big financial challenges. Good housing is the main limitation.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-03-15 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    That's a terrible policy considering America was built on immigrants.
    Good thing this isn't hundreds of years ago. Illegal immigrants cost the United States over 100 billion a year. It's not at all unreasonable to raise the question if we should crack down on this. You are also implying that we aren't welcoming or want LEGAL immigrants, in which we still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaiz View Post
    Good thing this isn't hundreds of years ago. Illegal immigrants cost the United States over 100 billion a year. It's not at all unreasonable to raise the question if we should crack down on this. You are also implying that we aren't welcoming or want LEGAL immigrants, in which we still do.
    100 billion ????

Those "refugees" are probably already pretty good with computers, especially social media and webforum posting.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad they're pushing for integration instead of multiculturalism. I think these steps will go a long way towards helping these migrants to becoming productive members of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    100 billion ????
    http://www.fairus.org/publications/t...ates-taxpayers
    Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah right. What a dubious figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Yeah right. What a dubious figure.
    Might wanna look above you. LMAO

You are also implying that we aren't welcoming or want LEGAL immigrants, in which we still do.
    Unless they are Muslim...