Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    The video is wrong. I have dealt with the auto accident field for many years now. Including loss prediction. There is no noticible increase in accidents, let alone casualties, during the day light savings change. There are more serious accidents on Every other "major" holiday. By your argument, we should get rid of those too.
    /shrug

They disagree.

Your argument is retarded and I hope you feel bad.
    Wow. Defensive much. I hurt your feelings or something.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Deleted
    We need it in case the Germans get a bit 'genocidey' again... Our farmers need to be prepared!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound Archon View Post
    Because in the countries closer to the Northern hemisphere (like Russia) days are rather short in winter. Shifting the time a bit earlier allows everyone to enjoy daylight a little longer... Before darkness inevitably sets in at 3 P. M.
    Yeah, except that it´s changed for summer daylight.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post

Can't you just enjoy the daylight, if you choose to, without changing the clock?

Is it worth the confusion and increase in accidents?
    Theres no increase in accidents due to daylight savings. There might be because people are stupid and can't plan ahead though.
    It's working well here and I'm glad I get an extra hour of daylight we it gets darker.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    daylight savings time happens in spring/summer months, not winter.
    wooosh

Not that he´s right with his explaination, but your answer makes even less sense.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    /shrug

They disagree.

Wow. Defensive much. I hurt your feelings or something.
    Dear, you didn't hurt my feelings. It makes me sad that people can be so ignorant based off one wrong YouTube video. You should know better, you've been here long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    wooosh

Not that he´s right with his explaination, but your answer makes even less sense.
    What are you talking about?

"Daylight saving time (DST) or summer time is the practice of advancing clocks during summer months by one hour so that evening daylight lasts an hour longer, while sacrificing normal sunrise times. Typically, regions with summer time adjust clocks forward one hour close to the start of spring and adjust them backward in the autumn to standard time.[1]"

15+ Year Old Account
    What are you talking about?

"Daylight saving time (DST) or summer time is the practice of advancing clocks during summer months by one hour so that evening daylight lasts an hour longer, while sacrificing normal sunrise times. Typically, regions with summer time adjust clocks forward one hour close to the start of spring and adjust them backward in the autumn to standard time.[1]"
    Wait yeah, i confused them, lol, i´m stupid.

I thought the same thing until about a year or two ago. Really thought it was the other way around too lol

Because then it would be dark as shit in the morning until like 9am in the middle of winter. Due to the tilt of the earth, you have like 3 or so more hours of sunlight during the summer, than you do during the winter. Daylight savings time is about trying to equalize it out.
    This is the reason, but nowadays does anyone care about morning light? Most people are at work so what does it matter. The whole "children walking to school" bit died out last generation. I'd much rather have an extra hour in a winter evening than the morning. The article I linked showed 55% support for not changing back at winter.

it was used in WW2 it was tied to the blitz in a way, it was iirc more like a curfew, because you needed to get in and black out those windows before the bombing started.

'The change meant that Britain stayed outside of its normal time zone through the remainder of World War II, with up to two hours of extra daylight at the end of the day. According to The Week, the government made the switch to support the war effort—extra evening daylight saved fuel and, during the Blitz, gave workers extra time to get home before the blackout began.'
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-03-15 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    This is the reason, but nowadays does anyone care about morning light? Most people are at work so what does it matter. The whole "children walking to school" bit died out last generation. I'd much rather have an extra hour in a winter evening than the morning. The article I linked showed 55% support for not changing back at winter.
    Where I live, children still walk to school. Even the ones that don't have to stand out by the road to wait for a bus. Idk where they polled for that article but I have never met anyone who had a problem with how time is set up now. You guys are the first. Circadian rhythm is a real thing and id rather not have it be dark until 8 am every morning in the winter. Depending on where you live, it is extremely cold when its dark and it actually jumps up a lot as soon as the sun comes out. For kids standing out for the bus, im sure theyd enjoy it being an extra 5-10 degrees F warmer.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Dear, you didn't hurt my feelings. It makes me sad that people can be so ignorant based off one wrong YouTube video. You should know better, you've been here long enough.
    That Youtube video is by a team that frequently does very thorough research for their pieces, so I'm inclined to take their word for it - not to mention that it was reported on the news as well.

You ...

Seriously, just search "daylight savings accidents".

Also,

http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/rel...apl9451317.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

See. See.

What did I say about it being confusing?
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2016-03-15 at 01:10 PM.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought the same thing until about a year or two ago. Really thought it was the other way around too lol
    But we would have more light in the afternoon if we kept summertime all year long, right? God damnit, i thought by now i´ve figured this shit out.

But we would have more light in the afternoon if we kept summertime all year long, right? God damnit, i thought by now i´ve figured this shit out.
    Yes. But it wouldn't get light out until about 830 am in December. Some people are ok with that, some are not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    it was used in WW2 it was tied to the blitz in a way, it was iirc more like a curfew, because you needed to get in and black out those windows before the bombing started.

'The change meant that Britain stayed outside of its normal time zone through the remainder of World War II, with up to two hours of extra daylight at the end of the day. According to The Week, the government made the switch to support the war effort—extra evening daylight saved fuel and, during the Blitz, gave workers extra time to get home before the blackout began.'
    Germany and Austria introduced it nationwide in 1916.

Germany and Austria introduced it nationwide in 1916.
    yes and i'm stating why it was perpetuated. Now i think its just gone on for so long, no one has bothered to change it. although it does leave you with longer days, the longest day in the uk, only sees about 3hrs of 'night', it'll stay light untill 11pm and gets light again at about 3am.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes. But it wouldn't get light out until about 830 am in December. Some people are ok with that, some are not.
    Yay i think i got it now, stupid clocks and stupid time and stupid deadpool. I´d really like to have light in the evening and be able to do stuff than watch the sunrise on my commute to work. Oh so pretty, yay and now 10 hours of office light, oooh look the sunset, so pretty. -.-

Though i do understand what you said about kids and having it cold in the morning, on the other hand, they could enjoy the evening instead of having to sit at home because it´s too cold outside, upside downside.

Yay i think i got it now, stupid clocks and stupid time and stupid deadpool. I´d really like to have light in the evening and be able to do stuff than watch the sunrise on my commute to work. Oh so pretty, yay and now 10 hours of office light, oooh look the sunset, so pretty. -.-

Though i do understand what you said about kids and having it cold in the morning, on the other hand, they could enjoy the evening instead of having to sit at home because it´s too cold outside, upside downside.
    True. I work in a secure area with no windows. It kills my soul everyday. I get depressed in the winter because its always dark. Actually got a blood test and had to take extra vitamin D because I wasn't getting enough. In the summer though im happy as can be.

Where I live, children still walk to school. Even the ones that don't have to stand out by the road to wait for a bus. Idk where they polled for that article but I have never met anyone who had a problem with how time is set up now. You guys are the first. Circadian rhythm is a real thing and id rather not have it be dark until 8 am every morning in the winter. Depending on where you live, it is extremely cold when its dark and it actually jumps up a lot as soon as the sun comes out. For kids standing out for the bus, im sure theyd enjoy it being an extra 5-10 degrees F warmer.
    That was a UK article, I doubt all countries could adopt this for the reasons you stated but in the UK I'd see little problem staying on GMT+1 and syncing to continental time. Our mornings generally are quite static in temp, you certainly wouldn't see such a rise in just an hour, overall the whole day only changes by a few degrees.