Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Anders Brevik is suing over the conditions of his already-luxurious prison cell

A Norwegian mass murderer is suing the government over what he says are inhuman prison conditions—even though his digs would be considered luxurious in just about any U.S. prison.

Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in Norway in 2011, is claiming that the government has subjected him to “inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment” during his incarceration, Agence France-Presse reports. A hearing on his conditions will be held this week.

In July 2011, Breivik set off a bomb in Oslo’s downtown and then shot dozens of teenagers at a camp on a nearby island. In a rambling manifesto, he explained that he was fighting multiculturalism and Muslim immigration to Europe. He was sentenced for 21 years in prison for the killings, Norway’s maximum sentence, which can be extended in five-year increments.

Since 2013, Breivik has been living in the Skien prison, about 100 miles southwest of Oslo. To the American eye, his living conditions look more like a nice college dorm room than a prison cell. He has access to three rooms, for living, studying and exercise, and his suite includes a television, a computer (without internet access), and a game console.

This isn’t the first time Breivik, 37, has complained about his living conditions. Last year he threatened to go on hunger strike over the fact that his Playstation 2 wasn’t updated to a Playstation 3, and that the rubber pen he was given wasn’t ergonomic enough.

Now, Breivik’s complaints go beyond just the amenities. He says that he is isolated from all contact with other prisoners, which has taken a psychological toll on him. His visits from family and friends are rare, and he generally only interacts with prison guards. His mail is also screened by the government, he says.

Breivik is “very stressed due to his isolation,” his lawyer Øystein Storrvik told the AFP. His legal team plans to appeal all the way to the European Court on Human Rights if necessary, he said.

The government has maintained that his conditions are appropriate. “The measures which have been applied to the plaintiff… are well within the limits of what is permitted,” prosecutors wrote in legal documents.

The fact that Breivik thinks how he’s living now is inhumane says a lot about the quality of the Norwegian prison system. From the outside, Skien prison looks like you’d expect: high grey concrete walls and barbed wire. Inside, though, there are classrooms and educational programs—Breivik is pursuing a political science degree from the University of Oslo while incarcerated. In addition to a computer in each prisoner’s cell, there’s a computer at every classroom desk, and most prisoners, unlike Breivik, have access to the internet. Many prisoners cook for themselves with sharp knives.

Skien also has a bright gymnasium that looks like it belongs in some idyllic suburban high school. This week, it’ll be transformed into a makeshift courtroom for a hearing on Breivik’s conditions.
    https://fusion.net/story/280111/ande...tions-lawsuit/

Wow.
    He has got to be the most entitled terrorist ever.

lol tv, computer with no internet and a playstation, and that's not mentioning his nice cell with kitchen etc. Ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Shocking even criminals have human rights. Even the worst scums on earth have them.
    I can see you didn't even bother reading the article. It's not a human right to have a playstation 3.

Lifers should sit in a cell 23 hours a day with nothing more then a bed and a toilet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on the angry face icon, I knew this was a Tenn thread.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Lifers should sit in a cell 23 hours a day with nothing more then a bed and a toilet.
    I agree. Make people WISH for the death penalty

Deleted
    I can imagine that being without any kind of social contact must be fucking shocking. Imagine, he's got no internet, nobody wants to talk to him and he don't get to meet the other prisoners cus they might kill him. It's really easy to say that he has these "nice" things, but without social contact a human loses it's purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Breivik is “very stressed due to his isolation,” his lawyer Øystein Storrvik told the AFP. His legal team plans to appeal all the way to the European Court on Human Rights if necessary, he said.
    Yes, and the friends and families of your victims are very stressed due to the grief you caused them you piece of shit.

Be lucky you got such a nice prison, fuckface.
    Putin khuliyo

People in prison should be provided with basic needs. It shouldn't be a luxury resort.

Deleted
    He is alone with his nightmares. He will be for the rest of his life. Giving him attention is all he wants.
    I was very upset when I read this the other day. Not because of him, but because the news should have avoided this at all costs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Yeah, I basically assume he's just trying to stay relevant and/or be as big of an inconvenience as possible.
    the last desperate twitch of a desperate man?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    People in prison should be provided with basic needs. It shouldn't be a luxury resort.
    It's the naivity of the northern countries, they will be happy, educated citizens when they come out.

Also it's not like he really got a life sentence, 21 years is max in norway, something they can extend abit but he will be free some day. So sitting there for 20 years with videogames and nice housing should not be a problem. Hes just a cry baby.

Deleted
    Also it's not like he really got a life sentence, 21 years is max in norway, something they can extend abit but he will be free some day. So sitting there for 20 years with videogames and nice housing should not be a problem. Hes just a cry baby.
    It's 21 years then another trial. I don't think he will ever see the light again. They will just prolong his sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    I have read enough about this.

24/7 Isolation with no contact to other people ever is against human rights. No matter what you did, you are still a human being with rights.

And he has the right to sue.
    Where is that stated its a human right?

Quote Originally Posted by En dum en View Post
    It's 21 years then another trial. I don't think he will ever see the light again. They will just prolong his sentence.
    You never know, mass killers in sweden is getting released, like Mattias Flink killed 7 people and is now a free man after 20 years. Now Breivik killed alot more people but they could do the same thing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    the last desperate twitch of a desperate man?
    They should let him stream on twitch, speaking of.
    I'd watch Anders do let's plays all day every day.

OT: he is complaining moreso about his isolation, with grievances about his living conditions. It's all relative, if in Norway they are accustomed to a certain lifestyle in prison and he doesn't get that, he is relatively being treated "inhumanely" compared to his fellow inmates.

Every time an Anders story comes up it just makes me think of Varg Vikernes and how in Norwegian prison for murder and a few counts of arson he kept up to date with computer RPGs and released like 5 albums. What a place to live.

You never know, mass killers in sweden is getting released, like Mattias Flink killed 7 people and is now a free man after 20 years.
    I believe they made a special point at his initial trial that he will be serving 70~ consecutive maximum sentences, with no chance for parole or early release for any of the counts. I'll see if I can find a source on that.

Quote Originally Posted by En dum en View Post
    I can imagine that being without any kind of social contact must be fucking shocking. Imagine, he's got no internet, nobody wants to talk to him and he don't get to meet the other prisoners cus they might kill him. It's really easy to say that he has these "nice" things, but without social contact a human loses it's purpose.
    Oh, theres a lot of people who wants to talk to him. He has quite the "little" fan club out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    I believe they made a special point at his initial trial that he will be serving 70~ consecutive maximum sentences, with no chance for parole or early release for any of the counts. I'll see if I can find a source on that.
    Sounds good, 70 years is enough