New in the game , need some help with shadow priest :)

Hey ,
    got recruited 2weeks ago and leveld 4 characters to 90 .
    after i done i decided i want warrior to be my main so i leveld him abit
    until i used my boost on shadow priest xD - fell in love with the class
    and hes my first lvl 100 ever

im ilvl 653 and i read the guide in the forum but still got few questions .
    im a COP shadow priest

Talents-
    Desperate player is what im using but im thinking about changing to Angelic bulwark - any tips about it ?- i just like the fact i can heal myself without leaving shadow form.

im using Insanity but some websites like Noxxic advise using Surge of Darkness - any tips ?

now regarding rotations -

lets say im using DP and i have 2 options now - use Insanity or MB . which one i should use ?
    i know Insanity should be priorty but sometimes i think maybe i should MB to generate another orb - but then i lost 1 channel of Insanity

so far my rotation is like this -
    MB / Mind Spike until i get 3 orbs - then DP/Insanity and i keep go that way - if i can use Shadow word Death ofcurse i use it - i even cancel insanity/min spike just to cast Shadow word Death fast

also - i dont use Pain/Vampiry dot thingy - some guides say i need to use it and some say i dont need to use them anymore as COP shadow priest

im sry for my english and hope i can get more info about the class here

thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Angelic Bulwark and Desperate prayer aren't too useful. Spectral Guise is so good in PVE that I get annoyed every time I remember we're losing it in Legion. For now, you'd want to use that. Very useful on a lot of the HFC fights.

Never use Noxxic, avoid it like the plague. Howtopriest.com is where you'd want to be.

I recommend reading Kilee's guide to COP as its very useful and should cover all of the remaining questions you asked and more. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...oP-only-6-2-3)

what @urok said mainly.

A bit more about AB vs DP. Technically speaking, in a raid environment AB is better if it will be triggered. However DP is a huge self healing boost on demand. It's mainly user user preference.

Surge of Darkness is crap don't use it. Until you get the class trinket, Mindbender is superior to Insanity, even in an AoE situation. Once you get 2pc this difference is even more pronounced.

If a guide ever tells you to dotweave, ignore that. It's a minor DPS gain with huge drawbacks if you messup. Kilee's guide will get you off to a good start. Additionally I have some youtube videos on my channel (link in sig) that may help you out if you're a visual learner.

Also welcome to WoW I hope you enjoy your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    what @urok said mainly.

A bit more about AB vs DP. Technically speaking, in a raid environment AB is better if it will be triggered. However DP is a huge self healing boost on demand. It's mainly user user preference.

Surge of Darkness is crap don't use it. Until you get the class trinket, Mindbender is superior to Insanity, even in an AoE situation. Once you get 2pc this difference is even more pronounced.

If a guide ever tells you to dotweave, ignore that. It's a minor DPS gain with huge drawbacks if you messup. Kilee's guide will get you off to a good start. Additionally I have some youtube videos on my channel (link in sig) that may help you out if you're a visual learner.

hey thanks for the comments.
    i got good help in the guide you linked
    if i have more questions ill update ^^

- - - Updated - - -

what @urok said mainly.

hey i saw one of your videos
    can i have your shadow orbs/mind blast weak auras ?
    and again thanks^^
    oh and what is your damage font name?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nircc View Post
    hey thanks for the comments.
    i got good help in the guide you linked
    if i have more questions ill update ^^

- - - Updated - - -

hey i saw one of your videos
    can i have your shadow orbs/mind blast weak auras ?
    and again thanks^^
    oh and what is your damage font name?

Update-
    i find it very hard to play with mindbender bahhh
    i find my self keep casting mind spike by mistake and i remove my DP dot
    im used to do insanity but now without it im doing mistakes
    it seems Insanity is worth only if u got the trinket
    Last edited by nircc; 2016-03-16 at 09:25 AM.

It is fine to spike it off. You are not losing damage, rather you are gaining damage by spiking it off. I know it's hard to get used to, but it's true.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Deleted

If a guide ever tells you to dotweave, ignore that. It's a minor DPS gain with huge drawbacks if you messup.
    I haven´t played shadow in forever but isn´t dotweaving still a big dps increase in low gear? Thats what my old shadow priest guildie told me so im just curious.

In most cases it is not an at least noticeable DPS increase since the buff to Mindbender shortly after BRF came out. The only time one may consider it still worthwhile is when wearing four pieces of T17 while for some reason not running AS with it.
    Seriiw | set sail for fail (Blackrock-EU)

Quote Originally Posted by Seriv View Post
    In most cases it is not an at least noticeable DPS increase since the buff to Mindbender shortly after BRF came out. The only time one may consider it still worthwhile is when wearing four pieces of T17 while for some reason not running AS with it.
    Exactly this. While you don't have the class trinket, you should run mind bender. When you do get the class trinket you run insanity, regardless of tier.

Exactly this. While you don't have the class trinket, you should run mind bender. When you do get the class trinket you run insanity, regardless of tier.
    hey thanks
    so let me understand
    lets say im DP a target
    then im using mibd blast because its not on CD
    then its ok to use Mind Spike . even if i "lose" the DP dot?

and is there any chance you can share your Shadow Orbs/Mind Blast weakauras? and the Font Damage you use ?

Thanks again!

Missed your earlier post sorry! Here's those WA's : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post39087036

I think I just use the Arial font with Mik's Scrolling Battle Text.

Yes. It's a DPS gain to spike off DP when you're not running Insanity.

You want to try and mitigate that as much as possible by using your fillers. In order of precedence: Mind Blast, Shadow Word: Death, MindBender(with4pc), Cascade, Power Word: Shield, Mind Spike.

Ideally you'll get to 5 orbs Mind Spike twice, cast DP, then MB, then a filler or 2, then MB then back to MS spamming.

Missed your earlier post sorry! Here's those WA's : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post39087036

I think I just use the Arial font with Mik's Scrolling Battle Text.

Yes. It's a DPS gain to spike off DP when you're not running Insanity.

You want to try and mitigate that as much as possible by using your fillers. In order of precedence: Mind Blast, Shadow Word: Death, MindBender(with4pc), Cascade, Power Word: Shield, Mind Spike.

Ideally you'll get to 5 orbs Mind Spike twice, cast DP, then MB, then a filler or 2, then MB then back to MS spamming.
    thanks for the auras
    regards the rotation
    if i fight a boss i always get 5 orbs b4 i start spend them ?
    if i get 3 orbs - why not use DP right away?

and why u mind spike twice b4 casting DP ?

To answer your response in order.

You're welcome!

As for the rotaiotn:

Usually yes, there's not reason to not just wait for 5 orbs as you'll make up the delay later (lust/2nd pot/ring/etc) Ideally you want to game it with the 4pc multistrike buff and delay your DP until that is up.

The reason you mind spike twice before DP with 5 orbs is that it takes 3 GCD's for mind blast to finish it's cool down (unless at excessive lust amounts of haste). So by mind spiking twice and using DP, MB should be coming off of CD right as you hit DP allowing you to use it first in your chain of fillers.

To answer your response in order.

You're welcome!

As for the rotaiotn:

Usually yes, there's not reason to not just wait for 5 orbs as you'll make up the delay later (lust/2nd pot/ring/etc) Ideally you want to game it with the 4pc multistrike buff and delay your DP until that is up.

The reason you mind spike twice before DP with 5 orbs is that it takes 3 GCD's for mind blast to finish it's cool down (unless at excessive lust amounts of haste). So by mind spiking twice and using DP, MB should be coming off of CD right as you hit DP allowing you to use it first in your chain of fillers.
    the mind blast GCD . maybe its the reason why sometimes when i cast mind spike and "suddenly" i see the MB is no more in CD .
    anyway thanks boss!

im going out now but ill work on it once i come back.
    also got so many things to do like flying in dreanor and dailys that i dont even have time to gear my self .
    but now i understand better

So the mind blast CD is a little weird. The countdown number will disappear (happens with WA's as well) if it is under the current GCD.

I still don't have flying, no plans to get it either. I would look into doing some ashran, the honor/conq you can get there doesn't take to long to get and gives you some decent upgrades to work with as well.