Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    The main reason why Monk was my favorite class to play back in EQ (yeah, I'm old school. I was playing EQ in the late 90s/early 00s while in Jr High/HS) was because of the very reason OP stated. They were the class that could DPS with bo staves or just no weapon at all and they were the only tanks that used evasion and to tank (granted, Monk tanks in EQ sucked unless they were decked out in gear). And they did it with no outside buff help.

I feel the WoW Monk is no where near as cool as the EQ Monks TBH. The EQ Monk were based on actual Shaolin types of Monk that relied 100% on their Martial arts and physically/mentally strong bodies to DPS and tank.

I feel the WoW Monks rely too much on mysticism and foreign buffs (mists/aspects/statues/brews/teas). I would have been fine if they used Chi for fighting as it does come from one's inner strength, but relying on outside power for help like brews, teas, and the aspects kinda takes the power away from the Monk's inner strength. Why do 100 pushups/situps/chin ups and run 10 km EVERY SINGLE DAY when you can just invoke Xukitty or chug a magical beer?

EQ did Monks right. WoW Monks are meh in terms of lore.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

All we need now is Chun Li's Spinning Bird Kick...