Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's not the point I was trying to make at all. Of course it's not scummy to refund something you didn't like.

What's scummy is sitting there playing through something for dozens of hours, supposedly "disliking it" and then returning it after, despite possibly beating the entire thing or unlocking everything, which is entirely possible with a lot of people who play games based on how they consume said media.

If a game is 40 hours long, it shouldn't take you the entire games length to figure out if you liked it or not, at least that has never been the case for me. I can tell pretty early if I'm going to like something or not. Otherwise if you disliked it so much why would someone torture themselves through the entire thing of something they don't necessarily enjoy.

There is nothing wrong with returning shit, it's scummy however if you engage in such a practice constantly. There are loads of people who abuse things like this, and I'm not exclusively talking about video games either. If you're really cheap and don't mind jumping through some of the hoops that are sometimes required for refunds, you can essentially get lots of shit without ever paying for it. Most people however aren't going to go through that hassle.

I am not bragging about returning games.. I just think you should always refund a game if your not going to play it otherwise it is wasted money. I have refund requested less than 10 games and the ability to do so has been out longer than a year now.

all the stuff i returned i did not play just to play it for free and return it, also I have kept 2 games I wish I returned but they were both less than 5 dollars each so I decided it was a waste of time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Researching games doesn't mean that a game won't turn out to be unenjoyable for you.
    If after having done some research you still didn't like the game, you didn't do enough research. Seems I do enough, cause i have yet to feel the need to return a game that I purchased through Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    If after having done some research you still didn't like the game, you didn't do enough research. Seems I do enough, cause i have yet to feel the need to return a game that I purchased through Steam.
    Lol.

So, something like the feel of the controls?
    You can't experience that until you play it.

Only refunded 1 game .... did look into it before i did buy it but for some reason it ran with sub 10 FPS no matter what i did it was even a older game on sale but as i could not play it i returned it ... worked smooth btw had money back within 2 days.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davos Seaworth View Post
    Lol.

So, something like the feel of the controls?
    You can't experience that until you play it.
    Yes, definitely something like that. I can get a "feel" easily without having to mechanically go through the motions. I don't know, just doesn't seem that hard to get a grasp on.

Yes, definitely something like that. I can get a "feel" easily without having to mechanically go through the motions. I don't know, just doesn't seem that hard to get a grasp on.
    Dead Space a classic example.
    Loved the idea. Hated the feel.

You shouldn't have to do an hour of research before you purchase s game.
    A lets play and a rock paper shotgun review is the most I ever research

What kind of moron would do "enough research" on a game when they can simply buy it - get almost all the information they might want to know in a minute or two - and return it if they don't like it? Work smarter not harder, dude.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    What kind of moron would do "enough research" on a game when they can simply buy it - get almost all the information they might want to know in a minute or two - and return it if they don't like it? Work smarter not harder, dude.
    I like you.

I had no clue you could do a refund request >.>

I haven't had to. I'm pretty selective with the games I buy.

Last games I bought:

Stardew valley - has been great, tons of enjoyment from it. Still tinkering around with it.
    XCom 2 - has been great, tons of enjoyment. Been through it twice, still playing.
    Dark Souls III - open open open open open
    DLC for Crusader Kings II - its my most played by hours on steam by far, worth getting DLC
    Dragon's Dogma - probably my least favorite of the list, and I still have 36 hours in it, will probably come back to it, its alright.
    Fallout 4 - 186 hours. It's fun. Could be better but its decently fun.

I just don't understand people randomly buying games they don't know anything about only to refund them after they learn a bit about them that they should have learned before purchasing.

On the other hand, I usually put an hour or so in to a game before I decide if Im going to enjoy it or not. I don't think you can make such a determination after 20 minutes of gameplay, so I do spend more time getting an idea of the game before I decide to install it.

I think I hated Dark Souls II for the first 3 hours and now I enjoy it immensely. I guess some people require their games to be immediate satisfaction without expecting to spend any time immersing themselves in it.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2016-03-27 at 02:40 AM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    So basically you're exposing the refund system for the fraud that it is and using it as a free rental of games.

Not that some games don't deserve refunds, steam should refund games in the case that they are broken messes but the fact you can refund a game simply for not liking it is an absolute joke.
    This return policy isn't anything new and many outlets allow it.

Hell you have always been able to return games to Gamestop (Used Ones) for any reason at all. They don't care what the reason is as long as you do it within 7 days. People should have the right to return something if they think its shit. Now I don't think they should be able to return it if they beat it, But there is only a handful of games you will be within 2hrs.

Hell even Origin allows for this type of refund.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    That's not even close to true. If their refund policy states what it does, they are not required to do anything outside of that. At least not in NA. Maybe EU has some weird law where they require 2 weeks refund. But USA does not.
    And thats a problem with the US on alot of digital sells.

But steam does have a 14day/2hr return policy here.

- - - Updated - - -

This so much.

I get tired of people going "Do Enough Research" maybe if I like the game I don't want to spoil anything for myself by doing alot of Research. You can watch 1 million reviews and it won't tell you anything.

Seeing and playing is two different things.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    'scummy' to refund a game you dislike?
    A video review / other research, can't tell you everything you know.
    As far as I understood the post you quoted, he didn't mean it's 'scummy' to refund a disliked game. But to use the tool extensively, getting months out of playtime by buying games and refunding them before the time limit has passed, is. This ultimately can hurt people who genuinely want to use the tool to refund games they dislike, as the funcionality may be limited due to the abuse of the tool. Though the OP is not an example of this, as he indicated (at least not by the information given here).

7+ Year Old Account
    Dead Space a classic example.
    Loved the idea. Hated the feel.
    Dead Space is a great example of a poor ui, but, again, a quick search at the time that the game was released would have resulted in plenty of discussions about the issue. That particular feature was heavily discussed back in the day. I remember that particular example very well. For myself, I knew there were issues before I bought the game even though I knew full well that I may not completely like the UI. True to the info that I found before purchase, the game was clunky but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. Again, a couple minutes of a web search was all it took to have the info that I needed.

You shouldn't have to do an hour of research before you purchase s game.
    A lets play and a rock paper shotgun review is the most I ever research
    Absolutely. Never takes me more than 10-20mins to get enough info to make an informed choice. If its taking longer than that....

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of a moron makes a purchase that takes little to no effort to research? A lazy moron, that's the kind. Takes a minimum amount of time to do a web search to get info. Or does typing on a keyboard and reading a couple web pages equate to a ridiculous amount of effort? Fuck, I feel sorry for anyone that considers that kind of task too taxing.

Deleted
    Stream refund system has been amazing for me. Yes pretty much every game purchased recently has gone for the refund. Fallout 4, Witcher 3, the witness.
    Nothing is holding my interest right now.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have also never requested a refund for a Steam game. In fact out of all the games in my Steam library there is only maybe 1 I wasn't happy with out of ~80 games. It sounds like either you need to do a little more review reading and reading of comments before buying, or you're someone who's got a bit of an issue with being more prone than most people to buyer's remorse. I've seen that in quite a few people where they return almost everything they buy (not just games) because nothing lives up to their expectations.

Also make sure to be careful with buying immediately on release, preorders, and definitely the greenlight/early access stuff. Unless it's a big dev (even then it's not 100% safe) too many companies are doing cash grabs and bail on the game once they get their money.

And The Division is amazing. If you buy a bunch of bad indie games and skip that, it sounds like you need to change up your purchasing decision approach.