Sound system help!

Not sure if this is the correct forum to put this in - but I'm trying to upgrade my home sound system from one receiver to another - but I've discovered the wires for my old speakers do not have a connection port (that I can see) to the new receiver.

I'm going to include a pic here to show what I'm talking about. Basically the "Old" one involves two individual wires with these clamping things on them. The new side has ports I do not recognize at all and not sure what they do. Do I stick the old wires into the turning ones up top?

I'm an absolute noob at this - so speak to me as if I'm an absolute noob to this. :P

Thanks for any possible help!

EDIT: One youtube video later and I figured out my TOTAL noob move! =D

Turns out the speakers were compatible - I didn't know how the plugs on the new sys worked is all :P

Thanks anyways! :P

Last edited by mvaliz; 2016-03-16 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I need a bit bigger picture to help, but it looks as if the new connections are meant for banana plugs. I could be wrong though.

I would consult the manual for the receiver and figure out what they suggest to use, along with what gauge wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

EDIT: One youtube video later and I figured out my TOTAL noob move! =D

Turns out the speakers were compatable - I didn't know how the plugs on the new sys worked is all :P

Thanks anyways! :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I need a bit bigger picture to help, but it looks as if the new connections are meant for banana plugs. I could be wrong though.

I would consult the manual for the receiver and figure out what they suggest to use, along with what gauge wire.
    Already figured it out - The new system are screw out - and you put the wires into it. Found a youtube vid that showed me. Tested it out and it worked fine just now

thx though!

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Still, to get an optimal connection, sometimes plugs are the better way to go.

They are not horribly expensive (especially from monoprice), so you might want to check it out
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

They are not horribly expensive (especially from monoprice), so you might want to check it out
    Thanks - will do! ^_^

Imo, and many people agree with this, it's better to connect the bare wires to speaker input/outputs instead of adding banana plugs for pure audio quality. The plugs are mostly for convenience.