Thread: Old RPGs on PC?

Old RPGs on PC?

I'm specifically looking for Breath of Fire 4 (or any of the others) or Final Fantasy Tactics...but any of the old SNES or PS RPGs would work too. Not looking for illegal ROMs..is there a way to buy or download any of these games (legally) on the PC? I don't have a TV so I can't play them and I miss them a lot.

PS: If not, WHY wouldn't the companies who made these cash in on them by allowing them to be bought for the PC as they've done for countless other games on PC or phones.
    Last edited by zimboombafoo; 2016-03-17 at 01:48 AM.

Emulation is probably your best bet, I'm afraid. As for why, the ROI on creating a localization of an older game like that probably doesn't measure up to what it would take to develop it, or at least that's what their projections tell them.

....literally every final fantasy from 3-8 and soon 9 is on Steam right now plus if you wanna go further the entire 13 saga and Type-0s there
    http://store.steampowered.com/search...=Final+Fantasy

you might get lucky and they release tactics...which is actually on Cell Phones so may get a steam release

Breath of Fire...yeah might not wanna hold your breath on an official PC release of that but if you have a PS3 you could connect that to your monitor and buy 4 but that's the best we could do

Otherwise if you actually own a physical copy of said game you can actually rip your disc and use an emulator on it there is NOTHING illegal about that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ....literally every final fantasy from 3-8 and soon 9 is on Steam right now plus if you wanna go further the entire 13 saga and Type-0s there
    http://store.steampowered.com/search...=Final+Fantasy

you might get lucky and they release tactics...which is actually on Cell Phones so may get a steam release

Breath of Fire...yeah might not wanna hold your breath on an official PC release of that but if you have a PS3 you could connect that to your monitor and buy 4 but that's the best we could do

Otherwise if you actually own a physical copy of said game you can actually rip your disc and use an emulator on it there is NOTHING illegal about that
    Hey, just asking: Is the FF9 PC version the same as the PSX one? Meaning the very long loading times (combat screen poping up after 6-7 seconds blackscreen etc) or did they adjust the performance as well?

If it is a PSX game, you can use an emulator that will read the CD (I did this myself with FFT). Anything from a cartridge will need a ROM. I'm not entirely sure on the legality of it, but if you own a physical copy of the game, then I wouldn't see why you couldn't grab a ROM of it and play that. I'm sure it's some weird grey area though.

As for the FF9 PC, I don't think we'll know until it is released, but SE has released some of the laziest ports I've seen in ages so it wouldn't surprise me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    If it is a PSX game, you can use an emulator that will read the CD (I did this myself with FFT). Anything from a cartridge will need a ROM. I'm not entirely sure on the legality of it, but if you own a physical copy of the game, then I wouldn't see why you couldn't grab a ROM of it and play that. I'm sure it's some weird grey area though.

As for the FF9 PC, I don't think we'll know until it is released, but SE has released some of the laziest ports I've seen in ages so it wouldn't surprise me.
    The emulator in itself is legal, and so is using it if you own a copy of game you got the files from.

What is generally illegal with emulators is downloading a bios if you need one for the emulator, rather than lifting it from your own console, and of course pirating the game.

All I know about the PC version for 9 is that it will have some updated graphics, especially the characters. It will also have cheat settings so you can insta go to max level, do 9999 damage with every attack or get every ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Track down Superhero League of Hoboken. Its like EarthBound on your PC except with super heroes fighting mutants in New Jersey.