The age of the argument ''I'm not a politician, I'm saying this as they are...''

Apparently, Trump is the first one ever to say this. It was totally not a common trope in Antiquity. At all.

(Now, rather obviously, the following is from Elizabethan England, but it follows closely Plutarch)

Good friends, sweet friends! Let me not stir you up (this goes without comment...)
    To such a sudden flood of mutiny.
    They that have done this deed are honorable.
    What private griefs they have, alas, I know not, (I suggest that the other politicians are part of a cabal, while I'm pure of intent...)
    That made them do it. They are wise and honorable,
    And will, no doubt, with reasons answer you.
    I come not, friends, to steal away your hearts. (I'm not lying to you like all the others)
    I am no orator, as Brutus is, (I'm not a politician)
    But, as you know me all, a plain blunt man (I say things as they are)
    That love my friend. And that they know full well
    That gave me public leave to speak of him.
    For I have neither wit nor words nor worth,
    Action nor utterance nor the power of speech, (I'm a man of action, I'm too busy to pick words)
    To stir men’s blood. I only speak right on. (I'm not making people angry of purpose. I just speak the truth. I'm not totally not pushing you to riot like now)
    I tell you that which you yourselves do know, (I say aloud what you all think...)
    Show you sweet Caesar’s wounds, poor poor dumb mouths,
    And bid them speak for me. But were I Brutus,
    And Brutus Antony, there were an Antony
    Would ruffle up your spirits and put a tongue
    In every wound of Caesar that should move
    The stones of Rome to rise and mutiny.

I don't get it, what is this about?

That ''I'm a rough man of the country, I don't have time to mince my words'' is a very old trope ?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    That ''I'm a rough man of the country, I don't have time to mince my words'' is a very old trope ?
    Tropes exist because they are effective. Not that Trump has ever portrayed himself as a "salt of the Earth" sort of guy, maybe "I'm literally The Great Gatsby"

BTW, it's from Shakespeare, of course.

Trump says crap like your uncle Roy the car mechanic says crap. Whatever pops into his brain comes out his lips.

That said, now that he's about to win the primary for Republican nominee, I'm not so sure how stupid he is.

If he want's to become president, he'll have to work overtime to move to the center. I'm glad he's stopped talking about Muslim immigrants.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Hey, Mark Anthony was in the second trinumvirate by playing dumb....

He did not lasted long.