Page 1 of 33
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Speak The English Language.

I was out grocery shopping over the weekend, trying to get the weekly list taken care of and hit a couple of bigger items to throw on my Traeger. The wife and I love getting our stuff done on Saturdays, and then we cook on Sundays so we've got leftovers for the week. So, as I said, we went to Albertson's to get our stuff and prepare for the week.

We're tooling around the meat section, looking at ribs and shoulders and such, and this pair of couple comes around the corner of the aisle and stops about 3 feet from us. Now, I hate it when anyone gets in my personal space, and 3 feet away is pushing it. I don't stand right next to you when I have to stop, so please do me the favor of standing a bit away from me. But that's not the point of this post (although I could make a strong case for these morons to take a shower WITH SOAP, but I would be digressing).

So they are standing there, just looking at the meat section, when they start having a conversation. IN SPANISH. Now, I understand several words in Spanish, what with the number of second-language speaking people that live in Houston. But that doesn't mean I want to listen to a couple of old ladies bitch about the price of meat and how things in America - yes, in AMERICA - are over-priced and how they would be cheaper in Mexico.

Last time I checked, this was America, and the overwhelming national language was English. If you want to speak in Spanish, or French, or Italian, or Russian, or whatever else in the privacy of your own home, fine. But in public, in this country, you should speak English. Period. I'm sick of every minority disregarding the culture that this country was founded on and taking a huge steaming crap all over the language here. Everything has to be in both English and Spanish? Really?

Sorry, I know I'm ranting about this. And it's really not a world-changing thing that someone wasn't speaking in English in public. But it bothers me. English is our language, and it should be spoken in all public places. Is it wrong of me to want to not have to listen to garbage when I'm grocery shopping?

Nope, not at all. On that note bitching about it online instead of to them directly doesn't help much.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

They should really make a LFR version of Zul Gurub or ZulAman.

(edit : because those places are filled with....)
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2016-03-17 at 08:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Sorry, I know I'm ranting about this. And it's really not a world-changing thing that someone wasn't speaking in English in public. But it bothers me. English is our language, and it should be spoken in all public places. Is it wrong of me to want to not have to listen to garbage when I'm grocery shopping?
    Why do you even care if someone speaks another language if it's not you they're talking to?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    I was out grocery shopping over the weekend, trying to get the weekly list taken care of and hit a couple of bigger items to throw on my Traeger. The wife and I love getting our stuff done on Saturdays, and then we cook on Sundays so we've got leftovers for the week. So, as I said, we went to Albertson's to get our stuff and prepare for the week.

We're tooling around the meat section, looking at ribs and shoulders and such, and this pair of couple comes around the corner of the aisle and stops about 3 feet from us. Now, I hate it when anyone gets in my personal space, and 3 feet away is pushing it. I don't stand right next to you when I have to stop, so please do me the favor of standing a bit away from me. But that's not the point of this post (although I could make a strong case for these morons to take a shower WITH SOAP, but I would be digressing).

So they are standing there, just looking at the meat section, when they start having a conversation. IN SPANISH. Now, I understand several words in Spanish, what with the number of second-language speaking people that live in Houston. But that doesn't mean I want to listen to a couple of old ladies bitch about the price of meat and how things in America - yes, in AMERICA - are over-priced and how they would be cheaper in Mexico.

Last time I checked, this was America, and the overwhelming national language was English. If you want to speak in Spanish, or French, or Italian, or Russian, or whatever else in the privacy of your own home, fine. But in public, in this country, you should speak English. Period. I'm sick of every minority disregarding the culture that this country was founded on and taking a huge steaming crap all over the language here. Everything has to be in both English and Spanish? Really?

Thats racist

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't have an official language here in the United States. People have the right to speak as they want, and in areas with larger ethnic diversity you will see signs helping people of multiple languages and people speaking in other languages. If you truly have a problem with it, move somewhere else.

So in a country with no official language, you want to bitch about people speaking other languages? I mean you've made some obvious threads before, but this one really is a new level of obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were leftists plotting your demise

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone should be able to communicate with each other, but how people communicate with each other should be discretionary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    We don't have an official language here in the United States. People have the right to speak as they want, and in areas with larger ethnic diversity you will see signs helping people of multiple languages and people speaking in other languages. If you truly have a problem with it, move somewhere else.
    bbbbuut.... the official language is american...

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread will go places!

Dark, scary places filled with suffering and torment...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    Why do you even care if someone speaks another language if it's not you they're talking to?
    this.

i walk by people speaking all different languages every day, some i understand, most i dont but i dont give a shit if theyre sitting theyre speaking a language they made up or a real one i dont understand as long as they arent talking to me. if they were talking to me id be like hold up homie speak a language i know or gtfo but since they arent, they arent bothering me at all.

Deleted
    So you think the things people talk about while shopping is anything other than garbage if it's spoken in English? I don't know about you but I've never heard someone else having a passing conversation and thought "That was really profound, I'm so glad I heard it".

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    America doesn't have a national language.

I really only dislike ebonics, and that's because it's a cause of blacks being held back from success in america.

10+ Year Old Account
    That might have been me. I sometimes spoke with my ex-girlfriend in Spanish at the grocery store. I don't understand why that's a problem for you.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

You honestly have issues.

Und ganz ehrlich mal, ich werde jede Sprache verwenden!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hazol View Post
    Thats racist
    Looks like you've got mixed up on nationality/culture and race. The two are not related.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    So in a country with no official language, you want to bitch about people speaking other languages? I mean you've made some obvious threads before, but this one really is a new level of obvious.
    I though English was the official language ? Since majority speak it, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That might have been me. I sometimes spoke with my ex-girlfriend in Spanish at the grocery store. I don't understand why that's a problem for you.
    but but but

what if you're talking shit about him? that's all anyone would want to know another language for anyway!