[Movie] I've said it once, I'll say it again...

Takin' bets now. The more of the WoW movie I've seen, the more I'm convinced it is Orcs and Humans and Tides of Darkness put together.

Evidence:

1. The Alliance is already formed.
    2. There is some kind of big throwdown at the Dark Portal in all trailers. This time we see Lothar v Blackhand. It looks a lot like the classic Lothar v Doomhammer fight which happens in WC2. Not only that, the but the portal isn't assaulted until WC2.
    3. They've already set up Thrall. This is earlier than in the original timeline. He can't be found in the wilds by Blackmoore if this is still WC1.
    4. There's a similar showdown between Durotan and Gul'dan that also doesn't happen in the games.

Why this is good:

1. WC 2 has a boring story. it's the same conflict with a larger scope. Yes, it introduced ogres and trolls and dragons, and Uther, who didn't even get a character til WC3, but Turalyon and Alleria are boring cardboard cutouts of an elven ranger and a paladin. They simply aren't good for a movie audience. WC2 also didn't have great material like Rise of the Horde and The Last Guardian to flesh out its characters.

2. It means we get to see Thrall and Arthas sooner. This is the stuff everyone wants. I have long suspected that Lothar, not Uther, will play the role of mentor to Arthas in a second film, since a sequel will inevitably be a film about legacy. COncept art of Lothar in paladin gear floating around the iGN interviews has given some credence to this. I kinda feel like a paladin move in the first Legion build called Lothar's Might may also hint at this. But, I recognise that is a huge stretch.
    3. They can't leave Stormwind in flames and the badguys triumphant in a first movie like this. It hasn't got an automatic sequel lined up, so they need to play it safe and have a more traditional, satisfying ending. The Scourging of Lordaeron will make up for this if we ever get to it. Second movies always seem to be darker.

Remember, lore and continuity should only serve the highest goal: making a good story. This is good, just like floating Dalaran.
    Last edited by Grimo; 2016-03-18 at 07:54 AM.

I like it

especially the part where we get Arthas faster

and yes making 1-st film = WC1 and 2-nd film = WC2 might get boring

the orcs vs humans war should only take up one full film, after that its better to start moving forward with other plots

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimo View Post
    Takin' bets now. The more of the WoW movie I've seen, the more I'm convinced it is Orcs and Humans and Tides of Darkness put together.

Evidence:

2. There is some kind of big throwdown at the Dark Portal in all trailers. This time we see Lothar v Blackhand. It looks a lot like the classic Lothar v Doomhammer fight which happens in WC2. Not only that, the but the portal isn't assaulted until WC2.
    3. They've already set up Thrall. This is earlier than in the original timeline. He can't be found in the wilds by Blackmoore if this is still WC1.
    4. There's a similar showdown between Durotan and Gul'dan that also doesn't happen in the games.

Why this is good:

1. WC 2 has a boring story. it's the same conflict with a larger scope. Yes, it introduced ogres and trolls and dragons, and Uther, who didn't even get a character til WC3. Turalyon and Alleria are boring cardboard cutouts of an elven ranger and a paladin. They simply aren't good for a movie audience. WC2 also didn't have great material like Rise of the Horde and The Last Guardian to flesh out its characters.

2. It means we get to see Thrall and Arthas sooner. This is the stuff everyone wants. I have long suspected that Lothar, not Uther, will play the role of mentor to Arthas in a second film, since a sequel will inevitably be a film about legacy. COncept art of Lothar in paladin gear floating around the iGN interviews has given some credence to this. I kinda feel like a paladin move in the first Legion build called Lothar's Might may also hint at this. But, I recognise that is a huge stretch.

Remember, lore and continuity should only serve the highest goal: making a good story. This is good, just like floating Dalaran.
    That's exactly when Thrall is found by Blackmoore. We've known this since "Lord of the Clans", Durotan and Draka are murdered before Warcraft 1, since Gul'dan and Blackhand are still in command at that time, which is why Durotan is going to see Orgrim in a, somewhat, hidden camp. If Orgrim had been warchief at that point; Durotan and Draka wouldn't have had to hide and sneak, not to mention that Orgrim chose to kill Blackhand and the Shadow Council *because* of what Durotan told him that same night Durotan was murdered and Thrall was found by Blackmoore,- so that bit fits the bill exactly.

Links: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Aedelas_Blackmoore#Early_life

Also your idea of Lothar being a Paladin because of an ability is silly and outdated, because that ability was renamed Turalyon's Might ages ago.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Why not throw this into the Movie thread so more people see it and we keep the forum uncluttered?

Now, onto the topic:

I have to disagree. This has to be the first war only. The second war expands in scope and plot in a way that is not seen here. If they'd decide to forego the second war, I'd be a sad panda, not to mention the buckets of political bullcrap that still needs to go down to set in place a bunch of things. We know, thanks to the leaks, that the main chunk of the Orc mission in this movie is to gather enough prisoners to power the gateway permanently and allow access to this world. We know Stormwind is the main human settlement. We know that the plot will revolve around Khadgar and Medivh in some way. These are solely First War signs. At the end of the first war is when baby thrall is thrown to the wolves (In the movie's case, turned into baby moses). The only Second War bits that are in there are extra races in small glimpses. Which can be explained as cameos to set up who they are in potential sequels.

This is only going to be the first war, with tidbits of the second to keep things a bit more exciting than only Orcs vs Humans. The elves and dwarves and most other human nations will scoff and not think it important. I'm so certain of this!

Oh, and the second war has some amazing plot, don't be talking crap about mah baby! :P

- Inner conflict in both factions, Ogrim having to rise to a leadership role, playing against Lothar (Who,in this movie, is a part of a fringe group trying to find peace instead of war), and Lothar + Friends having to unite seven kingdoms.
    - Gul'Dan's seemingly tamed as he keeps on plotting. (Then goes all badass and raises an island from the bottom of the ocean.)
    - The conquest of Black Rock Spire is probably going to be a second movie bit. (Can't see where they'd add this now, the Orc's "Landmark" is the Portal in this movie.)
    - Deathwing starts to plot and scheme.
    - Naval battles!
    - Death knights!

And so on. Personally, my favorite era in warcraft is the Second War, with plot twists and characterization opportunities aplenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    That's exactly when Thrall is found by Blackmoore. We've known this since "Lord of the Clans", Durotan and Draka are murdered before Warcraft 1, since Gul'dan and Blackhand are still in command at that time, which is why Durotan is going to see Orgrim in a, somewhat, hidden camp. If Orgrim had been warchief at that point; Durotan and Draka wouldn't have had to hide and sneak, not to mention that Orgrim chose to kill Blackhand and the Shadow Council *because* of what Durotan told him that same night Durotan was murdered and Thrall was found by Blackmoore,- so that bit fits the bill exactly.

Links: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Aedelas_Blackmoore#Early_life

Also your idea of Lothar being a Paladin because of an ability is silly and outdated, because that ability was renamed Turalyon's Might ages ago.
    I stand corrected. Just read the novel again too, dayum. And I only mean the guys who named it might have had a pally lothar in mind when they did! not that they will retcon in game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deloctyte View Post
    Why not throw this into the Movie thread so more people see it and we keep the forum uncluttered?

Now, onto the topic:

I have to disagree. This has to be the first war only. The second war expands in scope and plot in a way that is not seen here. If they'd decide to forego the second war, I'd be a sad panda, not to mention the buckets of political bullcrap that still needs to go down to set in place a bunch of things. We know, thanks to the leaks, that the main chunk of the Orc mission in this movie is to gather enough prisoners to power the gateway permanently and allow access to this world. We know Stormwind is the main human settlement. We know that the plot will revolve around Khadgar and Medivh in some way. These are solely First War signs. At the end of the first war is when baby thrall is thrown to the wolves (In the movie's case, turned into baby moses). The only Second War bits that are in there are extra races in small glimpses. Which can be explained as cameos to set up who they are in potential sequels.

This is only going to be the first war, with tidbits of the second to keep things a bit more exciting than only Orcs vs Humans. The elves and dwarves and most other human nations will scoff and not think it important. I'm so certain of this!

Oh, and the second war has some amazing plot, don't be talking crap about mah baby! :P

- Inner conflict in both factions, Ogrim having to rise to a leadership role, playing against Lothar (Who,in this movie, is a part of a fringe group trying to find peace instead of war), and Lothar + Friends having to unite seven kingdoms.
    - Gul'Dan's seemingly tamed as he keeps on plotting. (Then goes all badass and raises an island from the bottom of the ocean.)
    - The conquest of Black Rock Spire is probably going to be a second movie bit. (Can't see where they'd add this now, the Orc's "Landmark" is the Portal in this movie.)
    - Naval battles!
    - Death knights!

And so on. Personally, my favorite era in warcraft is the Second War, with plot twists and characterization opportunities aplenty.
    I hear ya, and WC2 got me into fantasy as a kid, so I'll never forget it, but what you have described just can't work in a limited series of movies. If you introduced the old death knights, then introduced the Scourge ones, it's confusing. If you introduce Deathwing, well, his story will never come to fruition because I doubt they'll make a Cata movie. I think they will cherry pick the best stuff for future movies. I don't see dragon lore coming into it, though, since the focus seems on humans and orcs

The point stands though - this can't be WC1 alone because of the assault on the portal and the Alliance already existing
    Last edited by Grimo; 2016-03-18 at 08:31 AM.

I stand corrected. Just read the novel again too

Deleted
    I stand corrected. Just read the novel again too, dayum. And I only mean the guys who named it might have had a pally lothar in mind when they did! not that they will retcon in game.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear ya, and WC2 got me into fantasy as a kid, so I'll never forget it, but what you have described just can't work in a limited series of movies. If you introduced the old death knights, then introduced the Scourge ones, it's confusing. If you introduce Deathwing, well, his story will never come to fruition because I doubt they'll make a Cata movie. I think they will cherry pick the best stuff for future movies. I don't see dragon lore coming into it, though, since the focus seems on humans and orcs

The point stands though - this can't be WC1 alone because of the assault on the portal and the Alliance already existing
    In the novelization, they solved the issue by turning it into two super-powers trying to technologically out-do another, while the true focus was on the characters leading the forces. You could do the same in the sequel, should one ever hit.
    Also, while I agree that Deathwing probably won't make it into any movies not solley deicated to, say, retelling "Day of the Dragon", the Demon Soul and the Red Dragons are crucial to quite a bit of the Horde's firepower. Not having those would be like a WW2 movie where nukes don't exist. :P

I'm a firm believer that the Alliance will be attempted and fail to form due to differences, and consequently, so will the Assault on the Portal (Don't forget that Medivh shenanigans are taking place simultaneously). If the movie does not end in the Razing of Stormwind, they will have missed out on one of the best gut-punches you could add to the franchise. Personally, I'd love the movie to end with the humans successfully holding the unstoppable orcs at bay long enough to have ships escape, which would allow them to "win" a fight without messing up the lore, while also setting up the sequel.

Evidence:

Why this is good:

1. WC 2 has a boring story. it's the same conflict with a larger scope. Yes, it introduced ogres and trolls and dragons, and Uther, who didn't even get a character til WC3, but Turalyon and Alleria are boring cardboard cutouts of an elven ranger and a paladin. They simply aren't good for a movie audience. WC2 also didn't have great material like Rise of the Horde and The Last Guardian to flesh out its characters.

3. They can't leave Stormwind in flames and the badguys triumphant in a first movie like this. It hasn't got an automatic sequel lined up, so they need to play it safe and have a more traditional, satisfying ending. The Scourging of Lordaeron will make up for this if we ever get to it. Second movies always seem to be darker.

Fuckin movie better be 4 hours long then or will be a garbage

Also TURALYON is not good for audience.

Again you are tlaking about Tides of Darkness and dismissing Turalyon.

HA

HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA

if Lothar is Arthas mentor the film "Arthas Story" if it even happens you know. In 10 years If Lothar replaces Uther well. Expect the movie to get widespread negetive attention from the core audience of the film. Which will probably be 90%.

Also THE BAD GUYS leave stormwind in flames?

it's orcs and Humans there is no good or bad side

The bad dude is Gul'dan and the Doomhammer chases after the sniveling shit later.

Also keep in mind near the ending of the first war its going to show. You know. Khadgar Garona and Lothar in Medivhs tower and killing him.

All in all shitty post wouldn't read again.

- - - Updated - - -

In the novelization, they solved the issue by turning it into two super-powers trying to technologically out-do another, while the true focus was on the characters leading the forces. You could do the same in the sequel, should one ever hit.
    Also, while I agree that Deathwing probably won't make it into any movies not solley deicated to, say, retelling "Day of the Dragon", the Demon Soul and the Red Dragons are crucial to quite a bit of the Horde's firepower. Not having those would be like a WW2 movie where nukes don't exist. :P

I'm a firm believer that the Alliance will be attempted and fail to form due to differences, and consequently, so will the Assault on the Portal (Don't forget that Medivh shenanigans are taking place simultaneously). If the movie does not end in the Razing of Stormwind, they will have missed out on one of the best gut-punches you could add to the franchise. Personally, I'd love the movie to end with the humans successfully holding the unstoppable orcs at bay long enough to have ships escape, which would allow them to "win" a fight without messing up the lore, while also setting up the sequel.
    It will more likely end with Lothar Landing with little Varian and the queen mother on the shores of Lordaeron.

The second thing is thats how WC1 ends. If people get pissed let them get pissed.

Stormwind gets surprised /gasp Spoiler from 20 years ago

2nd movie OMG ORCS ARE SLAVES NOW /gasp

it's all fuckin whatever.

2nd movie could be 2nd war and then of course the 3rd war which honestly could be 2 parts because you know the 2nd part focus's primarily on Kael , Illidan, Maeiv, Arthas, and Sylvanas Which are pretty much the major fan favorites.

Depends on how THIS movie goes though. If it hits Avatar levels well. Expect at least a sequal.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2016-03-18 at 09:06 AM.

Deleted
    Well, in the 2nd film I would mix up WCII and WCIII, with a main emphasis on the 3rd WC game because it has more story potential. They could possibly bring the plot from WCII in form of memories and flashbacks. Finish with Arthas becoming Lich King, with possible side lines dedicated to the fall of Illidan and the transition from the High Elves to the Blood Elves.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    i find tide of darkness a very good book, infact it is the only book that i have managed to read it all in few hours, i was seriously enjoying the hell of it

i hope they dont mix 2 books in a single 2 hours movie, i mean seriously

they can though mix tide of darkness with beyond the dark portal, into 3hours movie, well to be honest they should, they are very linked to eachother

I could see this happening. Sounds good.

Ok. What's to bet on though...unless someone is in staunch opposition of what the movie will be how do you even have a bet?

Deleted

Evidence:

I have to disagree.

1. The Alliance is in the process of forming while King Llane is buried. It's probably only a few ambassadors. It likely happens halfway through the movie or later. Stormwind could very well be sacked before they have a chance to reinforce it.
    2. It only shows Lothar assaulting the Dark Portal, not the entire Alliance.
    3. So what? Thrall's storyline starting a bit earlier doens't make a huge difference.
    4. No, in the game Durotan is killed by assassins. In the movie he's (probably) killed by Gul'dan. It is a minor change, it makes things more personal.

All the points you've mentioned don't prove that Tides of Darkness is being skipped. And I sure hope not since it's the best part of the franchise.

Besides, for a movie company finally wanting to a succesfull movie adaption of a videogame they better not skip more than half of it. That would piss off everyone and would turn out exactly as people fear it would. A horrible mistake.

- - - Updated - - -

Why this is good:

The forming of the Death Knights? Teron Gorefiend? The enslavement of Alexstrasza? Deathwing helping the Horde? The Alliance being pushed to the brink of destruction? Gul'dan's betrayal of the Horde in search for the Tomb of Sargeras? Doomhammer's fight with Lothar?

No, I think you're missing a shitload of lore there.

Actually, the Horde do appear to be bad guys with Draka and Durotan helping the Alliance against the Horde. The thing about this movie is that they have free reign to do whatever they want since they aren't adhering to the story 100 percent. How much of sucker punch would it be to get to the point where Lothar dies only for Doomhammer to be defeated instead? The movie will more than likely end just before beyond the dark portal.

7+ Year Old Account
    The movie is a different continuity vs the games. It's going to be the story of the first war, but with bits of the second war mixed in as well. Hopefully the new players that the movie brings to WOW doesn't cause a lot of confusion, since WOW takes place in a different continuity from the movie. The movie's story will not fit into WOW's backstory, as a lot has been changed.

That said, they are taking a lot of thematic elements from WOW. Gryphons, and Dalaran flying for instance (Dalaran did not originally fly during that period).

Deleted
    2. It means we get to see Thrall and Arthas sooner. This is the stuff everyone wants.
    I'd much rather see a Warcraft 1 & 2 movie than Warcraft 3.

Sure, I'd love a Warcraft 3 movie adaption eventually. But let's not skip the things before it. It's decisions like this that make for crappy movie adaptions of videogames.

10+ Year Old Account

Now, onto the topic:

- Naval battles!
    - Death knights!

Thanks for the post, I didn't know their was one .
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

I hope (and think) you're right. The original story is great and all, but its world is so bland compared to WC3 onwards.

I want Kalimdor, I want tauren, trolls, night elves, ogres, and lich kings.

To me, the best of the Warcraft universe includes all of those^

While there's no hope for, say, tauren in the film, I hope they don't skimp on showing off some of the Eastern Kingdoms' wacky creatures - kobolds, gnolls, giant spiders, GNOMES.