View Poll Results: Would you live in the world run by robots or turn Amish?

Voters
90. This poll is closed
  • I'll live in the world run by robots!

78 86.67%
  • I will turn Amish!

12 13.33%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would you rather live in a world run by robots or join the Amish?

Let's say its the year 2150. Robots are now smart enough and powerful enough to run everything. Everything we need is free. Many luxuries are free. You no longer have to work. In fact, work is impossible, because every new business idea that comes along can be done better by robots, so its pointless to work. So you basically sit around and have fun.

At the same time, there is a large religious sect called the Amish. They shun technology and live off the land. They work farms, raise barns and homes, build their own buggies and ride horses. Life is full of work but they are truly in charge of what they do.

Would you choose to live a life where robots give you everything, or turn Amish?

I doubt robots will take over everything but it sounds better than being Amish.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll take robot rule so long as I get a hot kinky robot dom chick.

How is this even a question? Have all your needs provided for you for free, or work hard with no technology?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Very interesting (and good) question.

Given your set of parameters, I would vie for the Robot world. Focus on making myself better because I don't have to worry about the basic needs. If my roof, food and entertainment were free, I could enjoy life with my family without the constraints of a job, and work on improving either myself or the world (or both).

There are a couple of great Sci-Fi books that address this one extent or another. The one I'm thinking of provides for all the basics but makes getting a position with a company or government VERY difficult, because there are so many good candidates to chose from.

Anywho, I'd pick robots.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    How is this even a question? Have all your needs provided for you for free, or work hard with no technology?
    You're right, I'll take the Amish.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You're right, I'll take the Amish.
    Choosing to not have the technology humanity spent years crafting makes as much sense as not using new age medicine. Technically (removed that word since you won't be needing it), you can live however you want. It's pretty dumb though.

My guess is the robot controlled world will be similar to logan's run. If you have seen that movie then you know what can result from such rule.

On the other hand, Amish rule is more like that of living with the puritans. The scarlet letter and the crucible are a fair indication of just how things can go bad in such a society.

If I had the choice I would rather choose to live in the wasteland of the old world than be forced to live under the rules of either of these accursed societies.

Amish, cause the Amish I know loophole the fuck out of their doctrine. You can't have a tv in your house, but you can have it in your barn. Like...why bother at that point.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I'd definitely take the robots. Sounds like more fun than the Amish, and technology has advanced a lot over the years, it'd be a pain to waste all of that.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    robots would probably be better leaders than any human

10+ Year Old Account
    The future is now!!!

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I'd much rather be Billy than be Amish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I'll take robots. Just because the robots did something first, doesn't mean I can't do anything at all. There's sports, hobbies, recreation you name it. I'll spend every day out fishing for robot fish and when I get bored of that I'll play tennis against a robot Serena Williams and when I get bored of that I'll go fuck my robot Serena Williams in front of my fish-tank filled with all those robot fish I caught! Then maybe I'll get drunk and do it all over again.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Studies have shown that Amish people are happier than non-Amish. When it comes down to it, that is the biggest selling point. Is it more important to have modern conveniences or be happy in a happier society?

Robot world sounds pretty dope.

Deleted
    Robots, obviously. Being able to spend all my time how I want - and also still have today's tech inventions that make that time even more fun - sounds pretty amazing.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would not want to be Amish specifically but I could see myself embracing a kind of primitivistic lifestyle as an alternative. I do agree, reports show the Amish are over all more satisfied with their lives. While I would want to live in an overtly Christian sort of society ALLA the Amish, a Primitivistic experiment is something I would be down to try.

With such technical ability and so few wishing to live that life I'd imagine there would be plenty of space for that sort of life and just live that kind of life, perhaps only interacting with the technical world for very important things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

robots.

all i need is my computer, the internet, basic food and drink, and a home. that's literally all it takes to keep me content. the robots would provide all of that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Robot world sounds good and dandy until one day they view us as a threat and decide to wipe out humanity.

Last edited by Khadgar; 2016-03-19 at 04:43 PM.