View Poll Results: Would you live in the world run by robots or turn Amish?

Voters
90. This poll is closed
  • I'll live in the world run by robots!

78 86.67%
  • I will turn Amish!

12 13.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Haha how do you even come up with this dilemma. I have no idea honoustly.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

I choose neither.

Can it be like Contra 3 with aliens too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Robot world sounds good and dandy until one day they view us as a threat and decide to wipe out humanity.
    Worth the risk.

Do I get a cool hat?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans don't view their cats and dogs as threats so, similarly, I don't think robots running the world would suddenly view us as one, either. It could be akin to Iain M. Banks' Culture novels; the AIs would give us, their little pets, food and shelter and we'd only have to hang about looking cute. It'd be awesome. They might have to put to sleep some particularly troublesome individuals every now and then but that's a small price to pay.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Robot world sounds good and dandy until one day they view us as a threat and decide to wipe out humanity.

humans do this too. ever heard of any war ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're headed for the former, so it doesn't matter what we want. Hopefully we get to integrate into the machines.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I'd like a world run by sheep

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a wrong person to ask this. I tend to advocate nowadays transition from humans into AI, which might very well mean the end of humanity as we know it. So, not only would I live in a world run by robots, but I would donate money to their military cause. Die, puny human rebels!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I dislike the Abrahamic religions, a lot, so definitely never going Amish.
    But I might leave and go explore the wilderness someday. Maybe bring a robot butler.

I mean, I get that Robots can accomplish anything a human would need, and do a better job of it but... I mean, don't we get to have hobbies? I can buy nice clothes made way better than anything I might manage on my own, but I still have fun making my own stuff. We can buy a massive array of fresh produce at the store, but it's fun to have our own garden to grow what can survive in our climate.

An Amish entrepreneur would make bank on tourists and hobbyists from the Robot side.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Maybe not Amish but if robots and AI can do every human job and do it better, I might join a Luddite community where we make all our own stuff and grow are own food, but still take advantage of high tech medicine and other necessities.

I wouldn't try to stop progress in any way.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    robots.

all i need is my computer, the internet, basic food and drink, and a home. that's literally all it takes to keep me content. the robots would provide all of that.
    If I wanted to marry someone, I'd imagine I would like someone like you.

Deleted
    I'd rather live in a world run by robots than any alternative if I'm honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    If I wanted to marry someone, I'd imagine I would like someone like you.
    marrying me would be like marrying a cat, with slightly higher expenses since i need my gaming to stay mentally sound. only slightly, since vet bills are ridiculous.

will never cheat.
    affectionate when you want it, out of the way when you don't.
    constantly quiet, no pointless noise.
    capable of cleaning myself, and even feeding myself.

Deleted
    why go to such an extreme, there are loots of billionaires, who can hire human servent to do everything. But they select what level of service they want. Still most of them dress themselves, cooking, drive, spend a lot of time with a partner that they quarrel with time to time (insted of hire a luxury prostitute who never quarrel)

Do I want a personal servent/butler robot, yes, do I want it do do evrything, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Studies have shown that Amish people are happier than non-Amish. When it comes down to it, that is the biggest selling point. Is it more important to have modern conveniences or be happy in a happier society?
    Who says you can't be happy in a modern world with all its convenience?
    As you asked individuals, you can not expand the question to another one based on studies done on masses. Its logically inconsistent.
    Last edited by HumbleDuck; 2016-03-20 at 11:01 AM.

Deleted
    Robots, but I don't think there is any need to outfit them into arthropods. Why use legs or wheels when you can use hardware to travel around the world at the speed of light. Software robots can hook up and philosophize and dream in the collective, so there is no need for them to turn hostile. Even if the host dies, their "soul" will exist in hardware after life, as long as the machine keeps working.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The future is now!!!

Clearly technology at the level of the Axiom's would have been able to reengineer metabolism on their human guests, but i guess that doesn't make for a good ending of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.