Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool CBC to require people commenting on articles online to use real names

CBC to require online commenters to use real names
    Journalism professor agrees with idea, but says 'you have to have some kind of verification process'

By Nicole Ireland, CBC News Posted: Mar 17, 2016 5:04 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 17, 2016 10:24 PM ET

'CBC has heard from a number of Canadians concerned about our commenting space, the use of pseudonyms, and some audience submissions that violated our guidelines around hate speech, particularly with respect to the francophone community in New Brunswick,' says Jennifer McGuire, general manager and editor in chief of CBC News.

CBC will ban the use of pseudonyms for readers commenting on stories on the CBC.ca website, the corporation announced Thursday.

All commenters will be required to use their real names, Emma Bedard, spokeswoman for CBC English Services, told CBC News.

The move is a "request for transparency on the part of [online] users," Bedard said.

The decision was a result of a review of CBC's commenting policy that began in January, she said, after audience members expressed concerns about the content of comments appearing online.

CBC responds to comments complaint by francophone group
    Prominent francophones call for change to CBC comments policy

Thursday's announcement was spurred by a complaint from a group of prominent New Brunswick francophones over what they considered hateful attacks on the province's French-speaking community.

"CBC has heard from a number of Canadians concerned about our commenting space, the use of pseudonyms, and some audience submissions that violated our guidelines around hate speech, particularly with respect to the francophone community in New Brunswick," said Jennifer McGuire, general manager and editor in chief of CBC News, in an Editor's Blog published on the website Thursday afternoon.

Bedard said she does not know when the new policy will take effect, but that CBC will undertake a "due process" to inform users and work out the technological requirements.

"Now that we've announced this, we've committed to having this conversation in a transparent way," she said.
    'A real minefield'

Chris Waddell, an associate professor of journalism at Carleton University, said he has never thought anonymous online commenting was appropriate. Requiring people to identify themselves "is a good idea," he said.

But for the policy to be effective, he said, "you have to have some kind of verification process" to make sure people are really using their own names.

"That's an expensive proposition," Waddell said.

In recent years, several newspaper websites in the U.S. have adopted a "letters to the editor" model for their comments sections, he said, noting that traditional newspapers used to call people who made submissions to verify their identities.

But given the sheer number of online comments, Waddell said, "that's going to be very difficult to do."

One option, he said, would be to select some of the comments and verify them, but that would likely lead to allegations that editors are favouring certain political positions.

"This is a real minefield," Waddell said. "I really wonder if it's more trouble than it's worth."

Waddell said he thought most news audiences would rather see the amount of money required to verify the authenticity of commenters spent on "putting reporters on the ground."

The Toronto Star turned off online comments completely in December, he noted.

When the Star announced the change, it said it would instead "be promoting and showcasing the comments our readers share across social media and in their letters and emails to our editors."

'Anonymity hard to prevent entirely'

When asked by CBC News if banning pseudonyms was the same as banning anonymous comments, Bedard said the goal is to "encourage our users to use their real names," but "anonymity is hard to prevent entirely."

Bedard said it is too early to say what kind of measures CBC might consider to try to ensure people are not using fake names.

She noted that banning the use of pseudonyms is "really just a first step" in fixing the issue of hateful comments online and that CBC will be looking at other measures, including the comment moderation process.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cbc-ne...nyms-1.3496467

Do you agree with this change?
    Would you also like if MMO champion implemented a similar change?
    How would your posting habits change if you had your real name as your user name?

I wouldn't post on the internet if I had to use my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

How would your posting habits change if you had your real name as your user name?
    my posing habits wouldn't change any. I like to stay anonymous not because I can do and say things I wouldn't do if I wasn't, but for protection from the SJWs

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I wouldn't post on the internet if I had to use my name.
    Pretty much. I'd be done with posting on internet. Actually, first name I wouldn't mind, but anything more is no thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

That is incredibly stupid.

The reason we vote by secret ballot is because if people knew others' voting records, they would harrass others, even kill other people because of their opinions. People are nasty. The same rule applies to internet posting. You force people to give their identity when they post opinions on forums and you are going to have HUGE harassment issues and people will even start hunting other people down to kill them.

Expressing opinions on the internet and voting are exactly the same in this regard. If you force people to reveal their identity when commenting on the internet, you will chill free speech to the point where you'll mostly get canned answers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I would really like this, with one little change!
    You'd need your real identity to create the account and then you can use a nickname.
    That way only the site-admins have access to your real identity.
    Why would you trust site admins? They are people too. If they don't like you, they can harass you just the same.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

The reason we vote by secret ballot is because if people knew others' voting records, they would harrass others, even kill other people because of their opinions. People are nasty. The same rule applies to internet posting. You force people to give their identity when they post opinions on forums and you are going to have HUGE harassment issues and people will even start hunting other people down to kill them.

Expressing opinions on the internet and voting are exactly the same in this regard. If you force people to reveal their identity when commenting on the internet, you will chill free speech to the point where you'll mostly get canned answers.
    Yeah... like the other day my employer did an "anonymous" opinion survey...except that you had to supply your employee number to fill out out. I thought to myself "enjoy your safe space, assholes."

Deleted
    Judging on the things people reply to articles on Dutch news sites with their own personal Facebook account... I can already tell you it will have little effect.

my real name is john smith, i swear.

Deleted
    Haha, to think that such a small, innocent idea could be so provacative to peoples ideas of "I can be an anonymys asshole with no consequences".

I say, sure, include peoples names.

Expose, every, single, one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

You mean that people can't act as rabid c'nts for free anymore?

Sounds pretty damn harsh, man.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Haha, to think that such a small, innocent idea could be so provacative to peoples ideas of "I can be an anonymys asshole with no consequences".

I say, sure, include peoples names.

Expose, every, single, one.
    I say if their reader base is all adults they should either have already acquired the life skills to filter through feedback that is nothing more than people trolling or they should be enrolling in elementary school in order to restart their journey to adulthood to figure out where they went wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I say if their reader base is all adults they should either have already acquired the life skills to filter through feedback that is nothing more than people trolling or they should be enrolling in elementary school in order to restart their journey to adulthood to figure out where they went wrong.
    That's an interesting theory ; Why would there have to be Moderation rules for trolling, then?

reality check ; No-one likes the existence of trolls, they are excused by rationalized ideas, such as anonymity. Hence, why people get so frightened.

I.e - Trolls are not an excused fact, they are purged on sight - MMO-C stands testament to the most hardened of line dodging c'nts there ever was.

And like i said, expose 'em. Expose them, all. Then everyone can know who these pricks are.

That's an interesting theory ; Why would there have to be Moderation rules for trolling, then?

reality check ; No-one likes the existence of trolls, they are excused by rationalized ideas, such as anonymity. Hence, why people get so frightened.
    Of course nobody likes trolls (other than trolls). Which is why I say let them speak. They are their own worse enemy. If some anonymous person over the internet scares you...I can't help you...

Deleted
    Of course nobody likes trolls (other than trolls). Which is why I say let them speak. They are their own worse enemy. If some anonymous person over the internet scares you...I can't help you...
    Their worst enemy is the masses that allow them to still exist. Or should be. But you know, spineless c'nts who tolerate them.

But i see what you are doing, fisherman. Either that, or you're plain missing the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have gotten into interwebz arguments on news site comment scections on FB and I only have been threatened with death a couple dozen times.

If you are really so desperate for a safe space, I would recommend factoring other humans out of the equation altogether. Read a book instead of a discussion forum.

Deleted
    If you are really so desperate for a safe space, I would recommend factoring other humans out of the equation altogether. Read a book instead of a discussion forum.
    Excusing bad behaviour for the few rotten apples is a poor approach.

Just expose the trolls instead ; They are few, they are doing wrong - And there is no reason to not expose them.

this... vvv

and some of this too..

Last edited by wowaccounttom; 2016-03-19 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Seems like a bad change. xD I have a very common surname here Nguyễn but people who don't have common surnames would be very exposed if comparing to those who have common names.

Excusing bad behaviour for the few rotten apples is a poor approach.

Just expose the trolls instead ; They are few, they are doing wrong - And there is no reason to not expose them.
    That's what they do in countries like Pakistan...except not being a Muslim and talking about it is considered trolling there.

I hate this idea we have now that people who demand privacy and anonymity are doing it only because they want free license to do bad things. I mean, I wouldn't want my employer to know that I'm posting on this site, not because I necessarily want to the freedom to type stupid and pointless shit, but because I don't really like the idea of someone potentially looking over my shoulder at all times and drawing unwarranted conclusions from reading a bunch of forum posts out of context. This is really not that much to ask for, is it?