Talk me out of rerolling...

I'm sure that sounds really strange for this game, but let me try to explain..

I started playing this game awhile ago. My friend and I played through all the pre-HW content and finished the MSQ through 2.55 and did a handful of side-quests and other things as well. We quit last June and I've only played a small amount since then. I'm back now on my 4 free days and I've started the HW MSQs. The problem is I feel really disconnected from my character and I don't remember the story all that well. I don't really remember where I was with crafting and my bags and both retainers are loaded with random crafting reagents (leveling, not max level). Like so much low level crafting crap I really don't have more than 15 open bag slots. I have no idea what I need and what I can safely get rid of...

My gear is mostly the 120ilvl World of Darkness/Ironworks gear. DRG is my highest job at 53 and I have BLM at 50 (but don't really like it). My only crafting jobs worth mentioning are 50 carpenter and 36 cooking. The only things I'd really miss are my erie barding, some of the other seasonal gear/mounts I've acquired, and my MGP.

Rationally I know it's silly, but my gut still wants to start fresh. Talk me out of throwing away all that time and whatever crap I've managed to collect.

15+ Year Old Account
    You could just make a new character and do the MSQ up to where you left off. By that point just re-evaluate what you wish to do then.

Well you are right in that is silly rerolling. Here's what I would do.

Go to your retainer and try to put every item you have for sale in the Market Board, before you assign a price check the MB price, if it's around 100 gil or below just sell it to a vendor, you'll be losing gil but the space it's probably more important for you at the moment. Anything that is around 400 gil put it up for sale, there are a bunch of low level crafting/gathering items that sell at a good price and quickly, Alumen/Aldgoat comes to mind. Once you've cleared out your bags go to an Inn and watch every single cinematic from the MSQ, it'll take a couple of hours but you'll get an immersive summary of what you did and probably get a connection to your char again. This might be a good moment to use a fantasia and get that fresh feeling, as well as forming a new "connection" to your character.

Decide on what class you want to get to 60, by the sounds of it you might want to level DRG, read your skill description, re-organise your hotbars and train that muscle memory in a dummy, you can go to any dummy in the residential wards. Then carry on leveling to 60 and getting that "fresh and new" feeling again

Quote Originally Posted by Duskypants View Post
    Go to your retainer and try to put every item you have for sale in the Market Board, before you assign a price check the MB price, if it's around 100 gil or below just sell it to a vendor, you'll be losing gil but the space it's probably more important for you at the moment. Anything that is around 400 gil put it up for sale, there are a bunch of low level crafting/gathering items that sell at a good price and quickly, Alumen/Aldgoat comes to mind. Once you've cleared out your bags go to an Inn and watch every single cinematic from the MSQ, it'll take a couple of hours but you'll get an immersive summary of what you did and probably get a connection to your char again. This might be a good moment to use a fantasia and get that fresh feeling, as well as forming a new "connection" to your character.
    I appreciate the advice. Having slept on it I feel a bit better about it all now. I think I was just overwhelmed having logged back in after nearly a year and having so many old dungeon quests and crafting materials and not really knowing where to start with it all. For now I'm just going to finish the 3.0 MSQ and then I'll figure out if I want to renew and if I do I'll start with all the old stuff before I get too far into 3.0.

I think part of my bag issue is that I have so many low level crafting materials... do I really need to be keeping both regular and HQ stuff for the lower level crafting reagents? I don't want to sell it all, because if I do continue to play crafting is something I want to do. Seems silly to sell it all and then having to collect it all again to level crafting, but I do need to sell some simply so I have more than 10 bag slots.

As for the duty finder... is there a reason to finish all the 2.0 dungeons/hard modes? Are they part of the roulettes I'll be doing at 60 for whatever currency I'll need for gear? How difficult would it be to finish them all now if I do need to do that?

Thanks again.

Ya there's a level 50 dungeon roulette that includes the dungeons that were added as post launch content.

I think part of my bag issue is that I have so many low level crafting materials... do I really need to be keeping both regular and HQ stuff for the lower level crafting reagents? I don't want to sell it all, because if I do continue to play crafting is something I want to do. Seems silly to sell it all and then having to collect it all again to level crafting, but I do need to sell some simply so I have more than 10 bag slots.
    You need HQ materials if you want to have an easier time making HQ things. From level 30 upwards every crafting quest will ask for the HQ version o one or more items, so they may come up in handy. Again, unless you have a short term plan for your mats they are just dead weight in your bags, either put them in the MB or craft something, hoarding them won't help because 1) who knows when you'll use them, if ever and 2) you may need more of them anyway. If you still want to hold on to them you can lower the quality of an item and stack them together, saves a few slots...

As for the duty finder... is there a reason to finish all the 2.0 dungeons/hard modes? Are they part of the roulettes I'll be doing at 60 for whatever currency I'll need for gear? How difficult would it be to finish them all now if I do need to do that?
    Yes, they are not particularly needed for lore nor esoteric but you need to unlock all the HM dungeons for the 50s roulette, besides that you might want to run them for Orchestrion rolls, crafting mats, items for company seals, or poetics for your Anima Weapon, because of these reasons there's always people running these dungeons so you won't have a hard time finding a group through DF. If you didn't get your ponies back in the day it's also a good idea to unlock the extreme version of the primals, there's ton of people running these unsynch nowadays. The raids also drop minions, glamour, and orchestrion rolls that people want so they are also somewhat active, at least on my server there's always one or two PF groups running Coil. Finally you may want to run them just for completionism and lore sake.
    Last edited by Duskypants; 2016-03-21 at 10:28 AM.

Given the amount of time it takes to get to 50 and get through all of those MSQs, I would be very reluctant to reroll, personally. But I did level pre-3.0, so I've no idea how fast it goes now (since you get enough xp you can skip side quests to get to 50).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll never reroll a new character because of the required MSQ lock aspect of the game that takes about 30+ hours to complete plus Final Fantasy games are something I usually only play through once (I did go through 1, 4, MQ, 5, 6, 7, 9, and X-2 a couple times though) for the story and then go back and beat thoroughly later on. This being an MMO makes that a bit different but there's just as much FF story content here as there is in most FF games.

This is why I'm glad I can be all classes on one character, space issues be damned. Working on Dragoon atm, I'm liking it better than monk.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Regarding not remembering the story, you can watch many (but not all) cut scenes from The Unending Journey found in any Inn. It won't tell you the entire story, but it should help you piece together the main things you've forgotten.

And as for your crafting materials and storage bloat: there is now the option to change HQ items into NQ ones. So sort through your stuff and if you have like 50+ normal of some item and only 1-2 HQ of that same item, it's probably worth it to reduce the quality of the HQs and combine the stacks. But if you have a large stack of HQ and a small stack of NQ, then keep the HQ and just vendor the NQ ones.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I find myself thinking this way sometimes. Attracted to the cloudy concept of "starting fresh" and such. (Haven't done it in FFXIV, but in other MMOs)

Of course, the reality usually sets in several hours into leveling all over again, and I find myself missing my real characters and getting sick of doing lowbie quests all over again.

So yeah, don't do it!
    Yeah, I remembered I'd have to do the Titan quest line over again and just "noped" right the hell back to my main.

I take a crazy number of screenshots when I play these games, so I spent an hour or two going through them all it and helped me remember the story and reconnect with my character.

And as for your crafting materials and storage bloat: there is now the option to change HQ items into NQ ones. So sort through your stuff and if you have like 50+ normal of some item and only 1-2 HQ of that same item, it's probably worth it to reduce the quality of the HQs and combine the stacks. But if you have a large stack of HQ and a small stack of NQ, then keep the HQ and just vendor the NQ ones.
    My 4 days ran out, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to renew this weekend. I think I'm just going to spend a few hours trying to get all my crafting classes up to 30 or so. It should clean out some space with lower mats and also let me clear up some armory chest space as well.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    Rationally I know it's silly, but my gut still wants to start fresh. Talk me out of throwing away all that time and whatever crap I've managed to collect.
    http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Fantasia

Roll a fem roe and you don't have to start over. Best of both worlds.

Deleted
    You should be able to watch all the story at your inn room I think. You can catch up there.

If there was a game you should never re-roll FFXIV would be the one