Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Everyone knows that posting negative threads on WoW official forums is suicide. You always get downvoted.

Only die hard hardcore fans inhabit those lands. Is this news to anyone?

15+ Year Old Account
    Downvoting comments / topics is bad for a healthy discussion.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Downvoting comments / topics is bad for a healthy discussion.
    As is repeating the same tired argument for the thousandth time.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpSucks View Post
    Just take a look at this place and the official forums. Why are people so hostile and combative to each other? I know coming from me this is a bit ironic but it's frustrating because this falls completely on the community's shoulders, not Blizzard's.

Take a look at this, for example:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...2824958?page=1

You may not agree with what the OP is stating, but it doesn't matter, you can clearly see he put a great deal of effort into his post, and has a lot of passion for the game. But he is immediately dismissed, downvoted into oblivion, and insulted by the 1st reply in the thread, which is upvoted heavily.

The second post is just factually incorrect but (I see this ALL THE TIME) comes off as a righteous, objective statement. Of course there are people who hold OP's views. There is no way he is completely unique in his passion. Why dismiss him like that?

Why is this allowed? Why are these types of players allowed to fester in the community? This is LoL levels of toxicity. There's no friendship, no comraderie. Just absolute disdain for anyone who doesn't share your views on WoW.
    Its the internet. People learn quickly that being anonymous means they can act like asshats to anyone they want and will suffer no repercussions for it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I guess, you're the expert on that.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Everyone knows that posting negative threads on WoW official forums is suicide. You always get downvoted.

Only die hard hardcore fans inhabit those lands. Is this news to anyone?
    Yeah, all the negative threads are downvoted to oblivion.

Except, you know, the threads from people asking and discussing "What the fuck happened to WoD?"

Really, I think it's less of a "downvote" problem as it is a "downvote my arguments" problem.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Forums have always been the worst of it, but this is certainly nothing new, as others have said. This isn't unique to WoW or even gaming. Some people develop a special kind of social ignorance as soon as they're online and see other people as faceless "others" rather than just somebody at a keyboard somewhere.

People online seem to be much more likely to say hurtful, stupid, ignorant and mean things because they can't distinguish between the internet and reality. Everything you type and send is seen by somebody and affects them in some way. The harsh things people call each other over the most ridiculously inane topics is nothing short of insane.

But, again, this has always been the case, and probably always will be. I've been playing from Vanilla, and back then people complained about the community. A couple of patches into Vanilla, people were complaining about "the good old days". That hasn't stopped in the subsequent 11 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    If it comes from the same person and it is poorly formulated, yes. If it is an attempt to encourage good discussion it is not. One could argue that this specific topic attracts too many players who support either extreme. Usually, I find the people attempting to derail the discussion in that thread instead of voicing their own thoughts the least constructive. Opinions will always be subjective and as long as they are not completely tasteless they should be allowed. Forum behaviour that encourages lynching such as this... no. That is part of the reason why the official forum is terrible outside of the lore section and realm sections.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Simple:

a. Anyone not ridiculously pro-Blizzard has been perma-banned from the forums.

b. The only people who post there these days are rabid Blizzard fanbois only, with the exception of someone like the OP, who might make a post every 6 months or so and thus evade the wrath of the banhammer.
    Actually, that isn't true. I post there some, a few times a week, and I am very hard on Blizzard. I did get banned from the D3 forums back when that game was a mess for what I had to say about the game, but I have never been banned from the WoW forums for being very critical.

Yes, mostly fanboys there these days. But not because Blizzard banned critics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Oh yeah, and already during WotLK people were shitting on the game - and they didn't even have the "sub dropped" card. They just had other reasons to justify their opinion why the game "sucked"
    Yeah i always cringe when someone posts big graphs of WoW subscriptions to make a point. It's geting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    It's been like this since the day the servers opened. I'm not sure what world you people remember where people being dicks is a new thing. Some of the WORST people I can remember were from the vanilla/BC days.
    This, 100%. I didn't play in vanilla or BC, but in wrath I encountered so many trolls I couldn't even count. I played on azuremyst back then, and there was this specific guild called "Beep beep imma jeep" and they were known for trolling in wintergrasp, causing horde to lose and such. There were many people that were also known for just being a blatant troll, that server was full of them. A lot of nasty people too. Most of my memories on this game were from that time though, that's what made everything kinda fun, but getting back on topic, the community has always been full of nasty self centered people.

Also, there are many more kids on this game now then there were back then, and usually when you have 12 year olds who hide behind a computer anonymously, you get a lot of whining and trolling at the same time. The WoW community has always been like this though (with the exception of less kids), it's nothing new.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    No, it does not deserve to be downvoted. Forum behaviour such as the first few replies deserves to be downvoted. In an ideal word. Frankly, I don't give a damn about the whole rose-tinted vs. [insert other extreme] cliche we are currently focusing so much on. Those are subjective opinions, opinions should be met with opinions in turn, not poor behaviour.
    We don't live in an ideal world though..might want to accept that before talking as if we live in one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but by downvoting the thread you imply it is worthless, which is catering to something else than a healthy debate. It is a lazy act that does not encourage improving the game. It merely says you do not like it (his opinion). Why not just write: I disagree, and this is why: [enter constructive reasons as to why].

Let me guess, you can't be arsed? That is what downvoting encourages, afterall.
    Votes are an easy to read metric for Blizzard to see how many agree/disagree.

If a thread gets massively upvoted, that catches their attention.
    If a thread gets massively downvoted, that equally catches their attention.

Voting has little to no consequence for us as average forum goers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, why do people always forget this?

The above explains everything in a nutshell. Not just wow, but humanity in general.

If it comes from the same person and it is poorly formulated, yes. If it is an attempt to encourage good discussion it is not. One could argue that this specific topic attracts too many players who support either extreme. Usually, I find the people attempting to derail the discussion in that thread instead of voicing their own thoughts the least constructive. Opinions will always be subjective and as long as they are not completely tasteless they should be allowed. Forum behaviour that encourages lynching such as this... no. That is part of the reason why the official forum is terrible outside of the lore section and realm sections.
    The fact the same argument we've all heard many times before comes from a different person or is well written does not add any validity to that argument. The poster in question is entitled to his opinion as are those who down voted his post.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Actually I did leave a post and usually do. Are you kidding? Look at my post count here. I post on the o-boards all the time. The reason I downvoted it was because I do disagree with the premise, which is to remove stuff, but also because there have probably been 8000 threads about that there, all with the usual feedback. It's not a serious topic any longer. It needs it's own "Wall of No." Blizzard has repeatedly said that they aren't going back. They aren't going to put up vanilla servers or return the game to some 'hard-core' state that never existed to start with. WoW is a mass-market casual game. Trying to convince anyone that it ever was something else is pointless.
    did i miss something ? what have the whole text of the op to do with classic servers ? wtf are you talking about ? you downvote his thread (what in fact mean: his opening post), for totally another reasons ? i dont get it...

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpSucks View Post
    Just take a look at this place and the official forums. Why are people so hostile and combative to each other? I know coming from me this is a bit ironic but it's frustrating because this falls completely on the community's shoulders, not Blizzard's.

Take a look at this, for example:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...2824958?page=1

You may not agree with what the OP is stating, but it doesn't matter, you can clearly see he put a great deal of effort into his post, and has a lot of passion for the game. But he is immediately dismissed, downvoted into oblivion, and insulted by the 1st reply in the thread, which is upvoted heavily.

The second post is just factually incorrect but (I see this ALL THE TIME) comes off as a righteous, objective statement. Of course there are people who hold OP's views. There is no way he is completely unique in his passion. Why dismiss him like that?

Why is this allowed? Why are these types of players allowed to fester in the community? This is LoL levels of toxicity. There's no friendship, no comraderie. Just absolute disdain for anyone who doesn't share your views on WoW.
    The guy is basically the pinnacle of Elitist, its quite simple... he has been the vocal majority for years always complaining that raids are too easy, that people need to be more elite and gear needs to be progressivly harder. His kind have been the reason that toxicity was born in the first place and your attempting to justify his behaviour by complaining that he gets shunned for it? Theres Irony for you.

The guy your defending is the embodiment of someone that downright dismisses the opinions of others to convinence his own gameplay because he needed a podium to stand on and lackeys to worship him, now that hes lost that hes lost his momentum and the lack of power has taken a toll on his ego.

Clearly, he wants it back so he demands the game be made harder to make his accomplishments seem more impressive.

He is the old guard of TBC raider that no longer has a place in wow, WoD prooved that the "raider" is the last person you should 'ever' listen to in WoW, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    did i miss something ? what have the whole text of the op to do with classic servers ? wtf are you talking about ? you downvote his thread (what in fact mean: his opening post), for totally another reasons ? i dont get it...
    I think you missed " They aren't going to put up vanilla servers or return the game to some 'hard-core' state that never existed to start with."

No, it does not deserve to be downvoted. Forum behaviour such as the first few replies deserves to be downvoted.
    People down voted the original post because they didn't agree with it. Period.

If someone wrote a book on the WoW forums about why raiding should be removed, it would get down voted as well. Well written or not, when people try to remove the content you like from the game, it tends to upset them.

some good points in this thread. really.

but as different as many oppinions are (and there are maaany), that just shows one thing for me: a game that is catering to the broadest possible audience, aka as EVERBODY, will never end well.

Yes, but by downvoting the thread you imply it is worthless, which is catering to something else than a healthy debate. It is a lazy act that does not encourage improving the game. It merely says you do not like it (his opinion). Why not just write: I disagree, and this is why: [enter constructive reasons as to why].

Let me guess, you can't be arsed? That is what downvoting encourages, afterall.

Downvoting a post where someone goes through effort to give their opinion and attempt to argument is worse than ignoring it. It discourages healthy discussion and popularizes the idea that shitting on said topic is 'edgy' or 'cool'. A fact which the first few replies instantly verifies by their upvoted status and lack of addition or constructive reasoning. They are merely there to shit on the individual's opinion.
    Well said, friend. Completely agree. People don't understand how cancerous the blatant censorship of downvoting is.