Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Pretty heartless of you to say the least.

http://www.unicef.org/publications/index_82455.html

Million of people benefit thanks to the U.N. How awful to act as if they don't accomplish much.
    Only I never said that. So, nice assumption there.

I said they are a meek figment of what they used to be, which is true. They used to work on a larger scale, carried more political weight, and were a relative force to be reckoned with when it come to matters. Now, no one really cares too much about the UN's opinion on something, and it is no long nearly as much of a big deal if they're interested in a cause anymore. You can cry wolf and hurl sad stories that are completely irrelevant to what I'm talking about all day, and it won't make a difference.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    i encourage the u.n. to stfu.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Last I heard there are real rape issues caused by the UN peace corps...
    Huh, learn something new every day.
    http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/...-peacekeepers/

Maybe they're hoping to get their peacekeepers somewhere a little "fresher".

Mmo-champion really loves their rapey Japanese games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Mmo-champion really loves their rapey Japanese games.
    hows that false generalization coming?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Disaster relief, medicine, famine relief, education, infrastructure aid, peace keeping operations etc etc etc.

But hey, you live in a rich nation that doesn't need outside help, so of course the UN is a joke that doesn't do anything.
    Some of which are questioned by economists.

Foreign aid, depending on the form it comes in, does more harm than good in the long-run.

10+ Year Old Account
    A translation from a female Japanese representative.
    Link to where I found it.
    We are absolutely in agreement that the protection of the rights of women in Japan is important. On the other hand, we think it should be carefully and seriously evaluated whether the measures taken to ensure those protections are valid ones or not. If we are asked to consider whether “Protecting Women’s Rights in Japan” requires us to “Ban the Sale of Manga and Video Games Depicting Sexual Violence,” then we must reply that that is an absolute “no.”

Reasons for Our Opinion:

Reason #1 – The so-called sexual violence in manga and video games is a made-up thing and as such does not threaten the rights of actual people; therefore, it is meaningless in protecting the rights of women.

Reason #2 – In Japan, and especially when it comes to manga, these are creative fields that women themselves cultivated and worked hard by their own hand to create careers for themselves. If we were to “ban the sale of manga that includes sexual violence,” it would do the opposite and instead create a new avenue of sexism toward women.

Detailed Explanation of Reasons:

About Reason #1 – It goes without saying that the rape and other crimes of actual real people who experience sexual acts from partners without consent is an actual violation of their rights concerning sexual violence and should obviously be forbidden by law, and that it’s necessary to protect and support victims. However, the figures in manga and video games are creative fictions that do not actually exist, and thus this is not a violation of any real person’s human rights. We should focus on attacking the problems that affect real women’s human rights as quickly as possible.

About Reason #2 – In Japan, and especially when it comes to manga, these are creative fields that women themselves cultivated and worked hard by their own hand to create careers for themselves.Already in the 70s there were women-focused manga magazines and many talented women manga writers came from them.In this way, before the Equal Opportunity Employment Act for Men and Women passed in 1986, there was already a space where women flourished and had established the “shoujo manga” genre. And of course, within women’s manga, sometimes the topic was of romance and sex […] In this way, it can be predicted that if we were to ban the sale of “manga that depicts sexual violence,” a great deal of publishers would cease publication of a huge amount of works. In the creative field of manga, the effect would be that women who have worked so hard to create a place for vibrant careers would have that place shrink right in front of them, as well as have their efforts negated. In addition, if we were to put ourselves in the places of manga readers the chance to know about the history of the sexual exploitation of women would be lost and method for them to come to know about it. If the creative fields of manga were attacked, trampled on and destroyed with such prejudice, it would damage not only the women manga writers, but also spread to other women creators in the field, as well as the female readers. This would be a sexist punishment that only narrows the career possibilities of Japan’s women

[…]

Conclusion:

As stated above, we cannot say that banning the sale of manga and video games that “depict sexual violence” is valid, even if we were to agree that the goal of protecting the rights of women is correct.

There is nothing to be gained from regulating fictional sexual violence. However, while you’re trying to fix the rights of fictional characters, you’re leaving the human rights of real women in the real world left to rot. As well, in Japan, the entire reason we have a media genre such as manga that developed to take on themes such as the sexual exploitation of women came from an attitude to tolerate “drinking the pure and the dirty without prejudice.” It’s because we had the freedom to express our views and with that to express the view of a world of humans that live and die, that there are pure and wonderful things and dirty and nasty things mixed with each other.

Manga is a field where women have put in their hard work and effort to cut forward paths and cultivate a place of their own. We believe that in order to protect this place from being trampled on, it will need our continued hard work to pass it on to the next generation, and it is this effort that will link to the greater freedom and rights of women.
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The UN routinely pushes for liberalization for womens' rights around the world.... Like 2 seconds in google can find you page after page of them.
    Are you sure about that?
    When faced with a situation where REAL WOMEN are being oppressed by their culture... who does the UN blame? (try to guess before clicking)

spoiler:
    In the report, Pillay “revives the bizarre charge, made by one of her colleagues in 2005, that when Palestinian men beat their wives, it’s Israel’s fault,” U.N. Watch wrote on its website
    Last edited by Notter; 2016-03-21 at 09:22 AM.

Relative privation isn't even a factor here. Women's rights simply aren't predicated on the censorship of fictional works.

Conversely, in The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the following rights can be found:

Article 19. Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Article 27. (1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.

Article 27. (2) Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.

Maybe the UN committee responsible for this push should check out this document sometime.
    Last edited by Anonymous1038853; 2016-03-21 at 09:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmaria View Post
    A translation from a female Japanese representative.
    Link to where I found it.
    Seems some people(i.e the UN) really underestimate the amount of H-mangaka/Mangaka Japan has. Trap h-manga/manga(which is aimed at men) are mostly written by Female mangaka.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I'm in good shape if I make it to April without an infraction
    Looks like someone failed at their goal. Sad times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    He forgot to knock on wood and look what happend

I just love how the female rep from japan just said GTFO to the UN and moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Some of which are questioned by economists.

Foreign aid, depending on the form it comes in, does more harm than good in the long-run.
    Sure, when charity undercuts local businesses, but that's not really whats at play here. Nor does a collection of ultimately negative efforts make them a net loss.

This seems perfectly reasonable. Since there is no such thing as a game that reinforces sexual violence, the UN isn't asking Japan to do anything.
    One man with a dream at pleasure
    Shall go forth and conquer a crown;
    And three with a new song's measure
    Can trample an empire down.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyngaris View Post
    This seems perfectly reasonable. Since there is no such thing as a game that reinforces sexual violence, the UN isn't asking Japan to do anything.
    To be fair, if this is the same UN group that wanted to treat online harassment as if it were actual violence, then who knows what qualify as sexual violence in their demented minds; let alone what causes it.

These UN research panels appear to be phenomenally idiotic.

In what way does a videogame equate to an act of sexual violence? I have never been inappropriately touched or fondled by a videogame, let alone subjected to forcible insertion or unwanted pregnancy.

It's a very good thing that this UN panel is not concerned about actual sexual violence that would have actual consequences, because then, whoo, we might have to do something complicated and difficult like figure out how to prevent people from actually committing acts of violence, or even worse, what to do after acts of violence have been committed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Man I'm glad the U.N handled the migrant crisis and genocide in the mid east.
    The U.N. is a massive organization. Not sure why they can't speak out of a multitude of issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Excuse me?

Deleted
    It's a pretty sick culture on some levels, but I agree that they should give priority to countries that actually practice violence and opression openly towards women, like certain M-E countries.