Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by negawonka View Post
    I apologize if I didn't refute your ridiculous claim that I believed it made someone automatically a hero earlier, I did not think you were seriously using that as an argument but just said it as you were flailing about.
    Its okay, I know how your ilk has to switch tracks when losing ground, its expected. That's why even though it was in the first post that quoted you it took a page for you to claim its not what you meant.

So the service isn't noble then? Is it at least honorable then or is it not even that? From someone who claims to come from a family of veterans I am guessing you are real fun at family reunions. Do you tell them openly that their service wasn't necessarily brave or noble or do you at least have the decency to hold your tongue?
    It is valuable and necessary. I don't have to constantly fellate them for doing their duty because they treat it as just that, duty. It isn't brave, it isn't noble, its necessary, just like being a cop or a fireman or a lawyer is necessary. My uncle lost his arm in the service, and we treat his sacrifice as noble and honorable because that's what it -was-. We don't treat every other vet in my family as automatically noble because they're smart enough to know they don't deserve automatic respect for having a desk job in the military.

I make a point of not getting ruffled by people on MMO-Champion (or anyone in general).
    I'd believe that if you spent less time whining about people not speaking to you nicely enough.

I am confused as to how you think me bringing up the fact that service people certainly don't do it for the job perks is in conflict with my belief that it equalizes people
    I'll try and walk you through it. You claim initially that service members do not get great service perks. You then claim that if everyone is in the military, there would be no economic inequality. You now try to claim this will work because it will make economically privileged people humble? Really? Your solution to economic inequality is humility for the rich and confidence for the poor. Brilliant.

I am starting to suspect you probably know a lot of cowards.
    Comes from meeting a lot of people who treat the service as a means to get unearned respect and hide their insecurities behind uniform. Speaking to one right now.

I have to leave now so I will miss your response, but I will premptively reply to it.
    You arguing to things I haven't actually said isn't anything new, Dependawonka. America is a society where respect and honor is earned, not given. I'm sorry you aren't getting your knob polished by everyone for enlisting, but that's reality, and that's how it should be. You want to be treated like a hero? Be a hero, don't buy into the 'I signed up for x job, everyone should worship me now'. Your entitled mentality is the real 'weakness' in this country.

7+ Year Old Account
    I already served my country since military training is mandatory. Either way, there are many ways to serve your country, not just knowing how to fire a rifle. The best way to server your country is to create wealth for you and other people.

Cause I think the army is one of the biggest wastes of money, there's other, better ways to serve your country
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

15+ Year Old Account
    Risks FAR outweigh the benefits especially in the US

Because I don't give a shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    @negawonka, I'm glad you're fighting this fight, because if I was responding to Babybreath there, I would've been banned already lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    Risks FAR outweigh the benefits especially in the US
    This too. it's simply not worth the effort.

15+ Year Old Account
    My country removed mandatory recruitment in 2007. We are part of NATO. We don't praise military service, its just a personal choice and a job for those that join.
    Only reason i would have enjoyed it would have been the discipline that becomes second nature and gun training.

15+ Year Old Account
    My tax dollars pay for the miltary and the cushy benefits that service members get. You're welcome.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I did (and still do) not feel I was either mentally or physically fit to serve. Additionally spending several years doing something I might not want to (because there is no guarantee you will be assigned to do what you want) was not in my life plan. Also, although I have nothing against those who serve, I do have an issue with those giving the orders and particularly the orders they give.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Tried to. Rheumatoid arthritis since a child, and mental health issues kept me from being allowed to. They would have waived the mental health if my psychiatrist wrote that I got off treatment because he said I was "cured."

This was shortly after 9/11, and before Iraq, when recruitment and retention was higher and they were able to be pickier. Though I still suspect even now I'd be unfit. But whatever. It's not like I wanted to join the Navy my entire life or anything. #stillbitter.

If my government had a history of only sending the military in to worthwhile endeavors, I would have considered it. No way I'm getting killed in some 3rd world hell hole just to pad Halliburton's wallet though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    First, sorry about your loss. That is interesting though. You live in a country where there is compulsory military service but familles who had a member die in the line of duty are immune ? Is that only close family? Does this immunity extend to your children ?
    Now it is no longer compulsory, but at the time all male of able bodies above 18 had to serve one year. There were exceptions and you could delay the service if you were a college student.

The exceptions were if

• your father or brother had died in war;
    • your brother died during service;
    • you were an orphan (the firstborn);
    • you were a widower with kids or a single parent;
    • you were the only brother living with a disabled sibling;
    • you were the firstborn of a father died (or gravely disabled) for duty (my case);
    • you had two elder brothers that already had completed their serving years completely;
    • you were running a family business by yourself.

Later they added also special conditions in case of severe poverty of the family. In 2005 they completely abolished the need for military conscription.

because I don't want to fight for oil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Most of the people on this site are millennials, ages 20-40. So I am wondering why you haven't served your country? I'm old so thats my answer...and i don't like dying. For the people that have, thank you for your service.
    Because I have a functioning brain.