Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Laser eye surgery

So, does anyone know someone who has done this or have done it themselves? I'm thinking of doing it myself to get rid of minus dioptre that I have on both eyes (it is -3 on both). Do you recommend it, would you do it? It's not that glasses are hindering my daily life that much, but on occasions they do, like swimming or playing sports etc. Any info would be welcome, thanks for replies in advance

I have 1 on one eye and 3 on the other, don't remember the direction. So, I don't really need the surgery, since I can see with one of my eyes most of the time even without the glasses. My uncle had 5 on both eyes and he had the surgery and was very happy with it.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

IIRC had something like -3, -3.5, best thing I have ever done.

I've heard now it's a pretty simple procedure, back in the day people we're going blind and everything else.

I won't get laser being contacts are cheaper and I can't justify spending big bucks on mainly a vanity thing. If you have other reasons then go for it.

The problem is I know people who had it done a few years ago and they've already been told that since your eyes change as you age they will either need to do it again or they are still going to need to get contact/glasses within a year

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    The problem is I know people who had it done a few years ago and they've already been told that since your eyes change as you age they will either need to do it again or they are still going to need to get contact/glasses within a year
    Not within a year, rather just reading glasses and you get older.

But considering I'm already wearing glasses as long as I can remember I've been considering get laser surgery as well...even if I have to wear glasses to read again in 25 years, hell even if it is in 15 years...having good eyesight for 15-25 years without the need for glasses or contacts sounds like music to my ears.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatorny View Post
    I've heard now it's a pretty simple procedure, back in the day people we're going blind and everything else.

I won't get laser being contacts are cheaper and I can't justify spending big bucks on mainly a vanity thing. If you have other reasons then go for it.
    Actually, glasses, contacts and laser surgery more less cost the same if you look at it in long terms. But laser surgery is more costly straight up, but if you can afford it...it costs as much as the other 2.

At least where I live it does, and I'm guessing most western countries will be the same.

That's still fine ... as long as it does not get worse. Basically I think if your eyesight is bad enough that once you take off your glasses/contacts, you have to struggle moving around (not reading, moving around comfortably), the procedure is a good choice. If you can move around just fine without glasses, it's fine to postpone the procedure till we get better at it.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    More like in 10 years or so, as your eyes continue to change naturally. I got mine done 6 years ago, and I still see way better than 20/20. When it comes time to do them again, I'll do so without hesitation. Best money I ever spent, and the easiest medical procedure I've ever had done.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanus View Post
    So, does anyone know someone who has done this or have done it themselves? I'm thinking of doing it myself to get rid of minus dioptre that I have on both eyes (it is -3 on both). Do you recommend it, would you do it? It's not that glasses are hindering my daily life that much, but on occasions they do, like swimming or playing sports etc. Any info would be welcome, thanks for replies in advance
    I know someone who has done this many times. When I asked him if I should get it done, he told me, more or less, that it is a personal choice over glasses. If glasses were too inconvenient, or if I find myself wearing them frequently, then laser would be a good choice. There was no mention of risk, despite it being only a matter of convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

My brother did it and loves it. I'm considering it, but I kinda like the look of my glasses. Would be nice to not have a handicap.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    My brother did it and loves it. I'm considering it, but I kinda like the look of my glasses. Would be nice to not have a handicap.
    I love being able to go to bed at night without having to take off glasses. To be able to open an oven or dishwasher without fogging. To not have to wipe my lenses several times a day to be able to see clearly. To be able to simply throw on sunglasses. To not have to worry about losing prescription glasses on water attractions. To never have to deal with contact lenses getting nasty/painful. To not have to pay for replacement lenses all the time.

Best money I ever spent.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    my wife did it, painless procedure, full recovery in about a day or 2. there's also the option to pay 200 extra bucks for unlimited recorrective surgery when your eyes change vision as you age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanus View Post
    yeah there was a thread about it like a week ago
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...er-eye-surgery

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I personally would get it done, were I to have the cash to do so now. My eyes are also quite a bit worse at -4.5, -4.25.

In the mean time, I am perfectly comfortable getting contacts. I, again, would totally do this if I had the means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Glasses all the way, you only have 2 Eyes.

And no one will know what can happen 20 years from now. And contacts can cause infections.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    My mother got it and it's been fantastic. For 3 diopters or less, it has a really fantastic outcome for almost anyone, even people with astigmatism.

LASIK is the best spend money in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I love being able to go to bed at night without having to take off glasses. To be able to open an oven or dishwasher without fogging. To not have to wipe my lenses several times a day to be able to see clearly. To be able to simply throw on sunglasses. To not have to worry about losing prescription glasses on water attractions. To never have to deal with contact lenses getting nasty/painful. To not have to pay for replacement lenses all the time.

Best money I ever spent.
    I agreed to all of those, maybe I should get it @_@
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I've got the stupid kind of blindness (+2,15 i think), because it's a plus, then I've never worn glasses. even when reading I can just hold books with fully extended arms and its np.
    probably would get a surgery if I actually had to use glasses.
    What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack in the ground underneath a giant boulder you can’t move, with no hope of rescue. Consider how lucky you are that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn’t been good to you so far, which given your current circumstances seems more likely, consider how lucky you are that it won’t be troubling you much longer.

– Douglas Adams, The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I had it done in 2011. Best thing I have ever done.

I had 20/300 vision with a stig, had it done now I'm free of glasses. Sadly I'm 45 so I now need reading glasses, but I'm ok with that.