7+ Year Old Account

Where do the line between entertainment and downright degradation is drawn?

If you have being active in the youtube community, there is a chance you might have heard about the channel leafyishere and the recent controversy about a video he made, in which he mocks an autistic man, if you are not informed here is a link to a news article:
    http://www.craveonline.com/design/96...r-problem-site

And the video he posted about the man:

Other well known case, is in Latin America, in which a popular show called: "Paisana Jacinta" in which the main actor takes on the role of a native, making mockery of traditions and how "dumb" they are, the show has been subject of controversy due to promoting harmful stereotypes about natives and some episodes were accused of being racist. Under their deffense the director of the show has said that he is protected by right of free speech and that the show is not to be taken seriously. Here is a video about the show:

Now regardless on your stance about both cases, the topic I want to discuss is, when does "entertainment" shows that "are not to be taken seriously" cross the line which limits entertainment and degradation? of any class, be it racism,discrimination,bullying, etc.

When you make a mockery at someone else's expense...?

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel that most "funny" entertainment is degrading to a degree. Comedians lower themselves or others for a joke and no one likes being the butt of a joke so it's all in the "eye of the beholder" if it crosses the line or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much money does it make.

If tons, entertainment. If not, degradation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    in which he mocks an autistic man, .
    Sorry I cant make it though all 10 minutes of that video so you'll have to give me a timestamp as to where he mocks the man for being autistic or even gives indication he knows that the man is autistic.

Because to be honest I wasn't getting an autistic vibe from the 3:00-4:30 chunk that I watched, I just saw a dumbass shoving a camera in someones face over eggs ..plus ..ya know ..fedora.

So was it an actual attack on autism or just the internet o' feels getting their jimmies rustled after the fact because the guy was autistic?
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

It's entertainment if everyone involved is in on it. Regardless of how offensive some people may claim it is.

It's degradation if you find random people in the street and just get them in on it, unwillingly or unknowingly to them.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

When I was little I was visiting my older brother. We were walking down the street to go play some catch at the local baseball field. I ask him if it is ok to swear and he said I could. So, I start talking like a sailor. Every word I could think of. Thinking I'm cool as shit because I can cuss. Then I dropped a motherfucker and he said "Na man, we can't say that."
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Everyone has a different place they draw the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Sorry I cant make it though all 10 minutes of that video so you'll have to give me a timestamp as to where he mocks the man for being autistic or even gives indication he knows that the man is autistic.

Because to be honest I wasn't getting an autistic vibe from the 3:00-4:30 chunk that I watched, I just saw a dumbass shoving a camera in someones face over eggs ..plus ..ya know ..fedora.

So was it an actual attack on autism or just the internet o' feels getting their jimmies rustled after the fact because the guy was autistic?
    I actually watched through the whole video to find that out. I also watch an apology video he made afterwards. At the time of the video, he did not know he was possibly autistic and did not make an attack on autism. In his apology video, he made the point to say he wouldn't have made the video if he had known.

So. /shrug. I still found it rather tasteless and not really funny, but it's whatever. Supposedly he got the idea cause tosh point O made fun of the same video, and I find him equally as tasteless.

Edit: Actually, that probably makes tosh even worse, cause he has a show dedicated to showing stuff like that off and mocking it, he also probably had more research done for the video and chose to mock it anyway.

I'm not sure there are very many lines everyone can agree with, but BumFights was pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    I actually watched through the whole video to find that out. I also watch an apology video he made afterwards. At the time of the video, he did not know he was possibly autistic and did not make an attack on autism. In his apology video, he made the point to say he wouldn't have made the video if he had known.

So. /shrug. I still found it rather tasteless and not really funny, but it's whatever. Supposedly he got the idea cause tosh point O made fun of the same video, and I find him equally as tasteless.

Edit: Actually, that probably makes tosh even worse, cause he has a show dedicated to showing stuff like that off and mocking it, he also probably had more research done for the video and chose to mock it anyway.
    Why do you find the joke tasteless, even after knowing the person did not know he was autistic?

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Why do you find the joke tasteless, even after knowing the person did not know he was autistic?
    I find making videos, mocking other people's work (whether it's good, bad, etc) just kind of... lame? It's getting a giggle at someone else's expense, which I don't normally particularly mind, so long as that person doesn't know or care. That wasn't the case though.

I guess more importantly, I just didn't actually find him funny. I'm not really upset about it, or going to be mad at people who do find him funny, just not my thing. /shrug.

Edit for clarification, it has nothing to do with him being autistic, though it would have been worse if he had been purposefully mocking him for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    I find making videos, mocking other people's work (whether it's good, bad, etc) just kind of... lame? It's getting a giggle at someone else's expense, which I don't normally particularly mind, so long as that person doesn't know or care. That wasn't the case though.

I guess more importantly, I just didn't actually find him funny. I'm not really upset about it, or going to be mad at people who do find him funny, just not my thing. /shrug.

Edit for clarification, it has nothing to do with him being autistic, though it would have been worse if he had been purposefully mocking him for that reason.
    All comedies comes from tragedy. Joking at someone else's expanse is the oldest and truest form of comedy. Comedies that does not cost someone else simply is not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    When you make a mockery at someone else's expense...?
    oh so 99.99% of all comedy in existence?

Im just remembering that black guy making the joke about how white people cant jump right now, excuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    All comedies comes from tragedy. Joking at someone else's expanse is the oldest and truest form of comedy. Comedies that does not cost someone else simply is not funny.
    Well, sure. But there's a difference of finding something funny and being a dick. Like, if you're out in public and you see a woman with a big hairy mustache and you go and openly make fun of her, you're not funny, you're an ass. Alternatively, if you tell a funny joke about it to just your friends, you could be really funny depending on the joke. I don't find hurting people's feelings particularly funny, and the media in which the joke is being told (very popular video sharing website where that same person's video was pulled from) makes it easy for that person to find the video mocking them.

It's not even like a story, where you can change names or find a way to keep them anonymous. This person was singled out on a video where his ultimate message was to try to be a good person, and mocked for it. So, I don't mind occasionally making fun of people, but I think making videos to do so and making it clear who that person is in said video, is a dick move.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how making fun of natives' traditions can be viewed as racist. Is everything racist these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.