Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You won't get that anywhere in southern Ontario. Between Brantford and Kitchener, the average house is well into the 300-400k range and London is even getting up there if it isn't already, and the majority of people working here in Guelph only make around $14 an hour at most of the large employers in the area. And yes, that is where the majority of Canadians live, in areas like the GTA and Greater Vancouver. In the sticks, housing is on the cheap because you have to drive everywhere to get what you need. Again, those "large and expensive cities" are where the majority of the population resides in this country, so it's actually pretty accurate to suggest that unless you make a six figure household income, you aren't going to be very well off. Even for a single male, my income versus the cost of living is painful when I have expenditures outside of rent (which covers utilities), gas, food and occasionally clothing. $750 a month for rent, around $250 for physio therapy just so I can stay healthy, $50-75 a week for food, then other $200 for gas, $25 a month for external laundry (yeah, it's a ripoff here), $100 a month for car insurance on a $2000 a month income isn't exactly a cheap life. That doesn't factor in my Internet and phone bill which combine to be around $200 a month. So, I am up to about $1700 a month in expenses at a regular 40 hour work week. Thank god for overtime so I can get some extra cash. You think you could raise two kids with what I make? Oh hell no. And there are literally hundreds of thousands of people in Ontario alone in the same situation.
    Yes, but you are paying for awesomeness when living in Guelph. I lived there for years and its a great city.

Anyway, you also have to remember that the average wage in Canada is 50k a year per person. Its hard to live as a single adult with no kids on a minimum/low wage, I agree. But for the average person, its pretty easy in most cities. Toronto or Vancouver would be the exceptions. But a city like Guelph, you can get by quite nicely at 50k a year salary. You won't be owning a brand spanking new house in the Clairfields area, but you can certainly get a nice, older 3 bedroom downtown and still manage just fine. You also have to remember that you get money every month when you have kids. Also add a second wage on top of that if you and your significant other are both working. You go to any other province and 50k a year will get you a pretty decent life. The average home in Halifax is $298k.

Life isn't cheap by any means no matter where you live. It all comes down to how well and smartly you spend your money.

Also off topic here, $750 is pretty damn good for a rent in Guelph. You're lucky there. I was paying $745+ hydro for a one bedroom near the corner of Wellington and Edinburgh about 10 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    So profits are more important than human rights? That's your story?

Stay classy.
    This coming from the guy wanting the government to focus on the minority of morons who didn't have a backup plan instead of the of the rest of Canada (real morals there, right? Screw everyone else and the economy as long as this guy has work). Also all this from a guy who defines "clean" as how morally clean it is. I guess you failed to remember who owns some of those oil sands companies and what countries they themselves come from. China being a big one that comes to mind. That is just pure and utter stupidity and hypocrisy at its best right there folks. But the rest of Canada never really expects much from Alberta. The oil sands doesn't require high education levels for grunt work there. So the majority of those that struggled in school ended up out there. Its the only way they could manage decent jobs without having to think. Its why we get guys like Tradewind who can't understand basic math or economics. He has no issues being paid by these "corrupt" countries, he just doesn't like that we buy their oil. Human rights, funny how he forgot those morals when China was depositing money in his bank account. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    This coming from the guy wanting the government to focus on the minority of morons who didn't have a backup plan instead of the of the rest of Canada (real morals there, right? Screw everyone else and the economy as long as this guy has work). Also all this from a guy who defines "clean" as how morally clean it is. I guess you failed to remember who owns some of those oil sands companies and what countries they themselves come from. China being a big one that comes to mind. That is just pure and utter stupidity and hypocrisy at its best right there folks. But the rest of Canada never really expects much from Alberta. The oil sands doesn't require high education levels for grunt work there. So the majority of those that struggled in school ended up out there. Its the only way they could manage decent jobs without having to think. Its why we get guys like Tradewind who can't understand basic math or economics. He has no issues being paid by these "corrupt" countries, he just doesn't like that we buy their oil. Human rights, funny how he forgot those morals when China was depositing money in his bank account. Go figure.
    Someone needs a nap.

Keep defending your Saudi Death Oil. Putz.

All the strawmen and ad hominems in the world can't save your morally bereft ass.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-03-24 at 11:49 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Someone needs a nap.

Keep defending your Saudi Death Oil. Putz.

All the strawmen and ad hominems in the world can't save your morally bereft ass.
    Whats wrong? Is that foot too far in your mouth? But I thought "rar bad human rights, don't do business with them" was what you were all about. Last I checked, over half the oil sands is owned by foreign investors, the leading one being china with about 20%. Many of the other investors are from these same foreign countries you are so morally against. Chances are quite good that one of these countries paid your paycheques. But hey, I bet you had no problem what so every collecting them.

Nope, watching hockey.

China does not own 20% of the oil sands lol. CNOOC owns about 7% of the Syncrude Mildred Lake project after buying Nexen, Sinopec another 9%, the majority of the project is owned by Suncor and Imperial Oil. That's one project, certainly the big one at over 400,000Bpd. Of the top 10, the next 3 largest projects (totaling 660k Bpd) about are owned by home grown Suncor. Followed by a Dutch/US Shell venture, US Imperial Oil, 3 more home grown projects owned by CNRL and Cenovus/Encana. Now if you wanted to get all shitty and technical, yes those are publicly traded companies who knows what kind of dastardly people are investing in them, ooooh ahhhh. Maybe the same people who invest in the other blue chips or S&P index companies?? Pro tip, the majority is US/Canadian Investment Funds (Fidelity/Invesco etc.) and pretty much every Canadian Bank is leveraged up the wazoo on every one of these companies.

But more important than all of that (which you should have read up about before regurgitating more uneducated shit) is which country benefits from their business. Who is getting the royalties and the taxes. Take your pick between Canadians or Warlords.

And no I worked for a private company lol. The character assassinations continue!
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-03-25 at 05:50 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.