Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

LGBT Activist Group Removes Representation for Gay Men: "Not Oppressed Enough"

http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/22/lg...p-says-gay-men

LGBT Student Activist Group Says Gay Men Not Oppressed Enough to Deserve Representation

The National Union of Students' LGBT Campaign—a coalition of British student-activists—passed a motion to end committee representation for gay men, because they aren't as oppressed as other LGBT individuals: like students of color and transgender students.

That's the latest hilariously self-parodying move by the famously illiberal NUS, an organization wholly dedicated to the enshrinement of safe spaces and the abolition of free expression at British universities. NUS routinely attempts to deny speaking platforms to people who have ever expressed any views that violate far-left social justice orthodoxy (Germaine Greer, Peter Tatchell, and Julie Bindel are three recent examples).

According to Pink News, delegates at the LGBT Campaign's yearly gathering decided that "Misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia are often present in LGBT+ societies. This is unfortunately more likely to occur when the society is dominated by white cis gay men.”

University LGBT clubs are often run by committees that have a trans representative, a gay male representative, a student of color, and so on. But since white cis gay men are relative enablers, rather than victims, of oppression, NUS endorsed a motion that calls on these clubs to stop extending automatic representation to them. The conference resolved, "To encourage LGBT+ Societies that have a gay men’s rep to drop the position."

Pink News noted the irony of the motion—other approved motions stressed that gay men were at increased risk of HIV infection, and even violence, relative to other marginalized groups.

Other motions were just as absurd. One asserted that the 'A' often found in the LGBT+ acronym should and must always stand for "ace" (as in, asexual), rather than "ally."

It's easy to laugh at these developments, though they speak to a real sickness on the left: hysterical obsession with group identity. In the eyes of the NUS LGBT Campaign, no one is an individual—everyone must be labelled according to their sexual preference, skin color, and gender expression, and then assigned a grievance based on the collective wisdom of their similarly marginalized peers.

This really makes my head hurt

So fucking pathetic...

What a world we live in. One of hypocrisy and double standards...

Kind of sad the PC extremists are eating into the LGBTQ community as well now. Trying to figure out their goals is like watching a garden hose flail around the yard.

Don't label me but let me reduce you to whichever label is popular at the moment. Love me, respect me, while I treat you like dirt.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Deleted
    Not often I agree with anything Xarim says. But the LGBTQIA community does not need division like this. Of course we should be giving representation to the more under-represented parts of the community - gay people of colour for example - but that shouldn't be at the exclusion of white gay men.

The anti-white, anti-male hysteria of the far left is kind of amusing to observe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
    Kind of sad the PC extremists are eating into the LGBTQ community as well now. Trying to figure out their goals is like watching a garden hose flail around the yard.

Don't label me but let me reduce you to whichever label is popular at the moment. Love me, respect me, while I treat you like dirt.
    I'm just waiting for when feminist extremists start calling out gay men for wanting to sleep with the enemy, being men.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post

I'm just waiting for when feminist extremists start calling out gay men for wanting to sleep with the enemy, being men.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Not often I agree with anything Xarim says. But the LGBTQIA community does not need division like this. Of course we should be giving representation to the more under-represented parts of the community - gay people of colour for example - but that shouldn't be at the exclusion of white gay men.
    Ditto.

This is just fucking laughable - a comedy act, not to be taken seriously. No wonder the UK is starting to turn more to the right with crap like this going on - I say this with a heavy heart as someone who's spouse is a foreign national.

I sincerely hope organisations such as OutRage! And Stonewall withdraw any support for this pathetic bunch of losers, if they haven't already. These organisations are inclusive and ultimately founded by gay men.

Other motions were just as absurd. One asserted that the 'A' often found in the LGBT+ acronym should and must always stand for "ace" (as in, asexual), rather than "ally."
    As if anyone would want to be an ally to this group of clowns in the first place...

And asexual people don't typically associate with the LGBT+ community. So there's a big miss...

Deleted
    Welcome to the privileged patriarchy gay men. Here is your member card and club jacket. See you in the board room for some cigars and brandy after the ceremony.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Soooooo they are just an LBT group now? Sounds like an acronym for a McDicks burger.

7+ Year Old Account
    The oppression Olympics seems to want less contestants.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I must have missed the article claiming all gay men were no longer discriminated against in the Western world... let alone killed in some other parts of it.

Fractioning your support base is a very good way to lose traction instead of gaining/sustaining it. Kudos!

Kind of ridiculous, but I really have to wonder what is the problem with some guys, that apparently then results in males being barred from the gatherings. Seems to keep happening all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice I'm still oppressed, where do I go for my affirmative action rewards?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Kind of ridiculous, but I really have to wonder what is the problem with some guys, that apparently then results in males being barred from the gatherings. Seems to keep happening all the time.
    Kind of ridiculous, but I really have to wonder what is the problem with some women, that apparently results in women being raped. Seems to keep happening all the time.
    Last edited by mmoc0ad0497bcb; 2016-03-23 at 01:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    You might want to inform yourself in terms of how more "radical" subsets of the community acts towards specific demographics before you unilaterally blame male behaviour for this... ie. Some LGBT groups do not support transexuality and only fight for gay and lesbian rights ostracising Trans people because it's easier to dissociate yourself from a group that's more stigmatized than your own amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    But I really have to wonder what is the problem with some women, that apparently results in women being raped. Seems to keep happening all the time.
    I guess that you exaggerated to convey a point but damn ....

Edit: VVV Slow news day?

TIL, being black, purple, orange w/e color means you're automaticly a lesbian, transsexual or summat. And there was me thinking being black, purple, orange w/e just ment you had a different skin color, nothing more.

Fucking idiots.. why are people listening to those morons? And why are they given attention?
    Inspecting raid instance floors since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...who-hate-women

*COUGH*

http://www.feministcurrent.com/2015/...ny-of-gay-men/

*COUGH*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/simon-...b_3092418.html

*COUGH COUGH*

Yeah man... so much crap gotta get out of my system sometimes... apologies.

Deleted
    that's the fun about social justice types: Leave them alone long enough and they will eat their own. *hands out popcorn*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    Yeah man... so much crap gotta get out of my system sometimes... apologies.
    Oh damn, itt: some people hate other people because they're different and that trait ignores sexual orientation and gender identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I guess the echo chamber isn't in yet so you had to post it twice?
    Last edited by EventHorizon; 2016-03-23 at 01:36 PM.