Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    Well I'm glad i am discussing with another person that has knowledge on the subject, because I have grown so tired of the common insults from people who don't. And I was afraid you were one of them.
    However, you do appear as another stereotype. You might see me as a soulless, pretentious student, but you appear to me as the angry conservative painter, clinging to classical legitimacy without the proper historical transposition. I also studied Renaissance art, neoclassicism and neo-impressionism, as well as varied other movements. And I liked a lot of it. But I could only be in a place to judge these pieces with a historical and cultural contextualization. I could only judge it through the eyes of someone from their respective centuries. You seem to judge them all in equal ground, which is fallacious, as you cannot judge their value based on the same criteria.
    If I were to judge some of the most important historical pieces of art through the lenses of contemporary art, I might not even consider them art. I would be prone to see them as craftsmanship. Context is fundamental to art.
    It's not like you can't identify yourself with the artistic values of the renaissance, you can. But it's wrong to expect that contemporary art will conform to values from the 15th century. They are not universal criteria to discern good and bad art. It doesn't respect the historical, political, philosophical context and ideas that motivate art production. They are just not the same, obviously.

You still make a fallacious generalization to judge all of contemporary art as the same, even if those critiques are fitting to some cases. Those same critiques are also fitting to cases from the movements you love.
    Elitism in art is not novelty.
    Art has been obsessed with identity for a long time, it's one of the biggest percursors to change, to philosophical discussion.
    And finally, even if creativity and "soul" are such subjective concepts, pieces from the renaissance or neoclassicism are, arguably, less creative than what is made today. Which is not an insult in itself, for inovation and inventiveness were not valued in the same way they are today. A lot of pieces were comissioned and those comissions were extensively detailed, from composition and color, to scale and subject matter and were very subordinant to communication. There was far less space for creativity than there is today (of course this is not valid to all cases). But I don't judge them poorly because of that, it would be ridiculous, because those were not the intentions of those pieces.

I don't find anything wrong with that being your opinion on contemporary art, I just think it's wrong to make an affirmation, an universal statement. As if it's incontestable and you had the power and legitimacy to make such a statement. And I think you are aware you are making an unfair generalization, but the examples that you witnessed probably didn't give you the best impressions.
    And believe me, a lot of the same things that bother you, bother me too. I hate it when an empty headed colleague of mine can get away with bullshit justifications to pointless acts. I hate the idea of "networking". I hate it that success happens more often to those who know people in high places. I hate it that people are successful because of their social status.

Gladly, I don't want to be a plastic artist. I'm just a few months from graduating, but it is not my calling. Believe me or not, I'm not actually pretentious (I think). : ) I want to take another course to pursue animation. I would actually prefer to work in entertainment than art. x)

PS: Sorry for any orthographic errors, english is not my first language. And sorry if I misjudged you in som way.

- - - Updated - - -

I am of the same opinion in most everything you said. My comment was not in her defense specifically, it was aimed at the habitual comments against contemporary art in general. : )
    Just wanted to say, good post, lots of honesty and self-analysis, you'll make a good artist, who knows maybe a great one. And if entertainment is what you want to do, then that's good too. Soldier on

I know I have my own biases, but I am very honest with them and reevaluate them on a regular basis. I am just, as you can probably tell, dismayed by the current trends in the art world, the mercenary and ugly business side of it that has come to dominate it in recent years.

"The art world is the biggest joke going," Banksy was quoted as saying. "It's a rest home for the overprivileged, the pretentious, and the weak."

I've seen some wonderful modern art, but much of it is self-involved to the point of narcissism.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    At least their personalities will suit eachother.

Thick and dull as Rocks.

I don't get why people claim her to be some creative genius. She is just pretentious. I leave my bed in a mess, no one bats an eye, she does it and people clamber over themselves to praise her genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

The stone is robbing the cradle a bit there.

She's not an artist, she's just fucking insane.

she's an artist. if she wasn't doing some pretentious, stupid bullshit she wouldn't be an artist.

10+ Year Old Account
    *googles pictures*

No big loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry guiez, I tried.

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
    Sorry guiez, I tried.

Definitely closer to actual art than anything she has done

10/10

The funny thing is, if she had made it, people would be killing each others children for the chance to buy it for millions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Definitely closer to actual art than anything she has done

10/10
    I wonder if the rock can sue for harassment charges and no consent xD. I just really don't get a lot of modern art.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

This just in--- United States Supreme Court affirms the right of inter-- biological/nonbiologicals to marry. Also California passes a law banning discrimination against Trans-biologicals who identify as rocks.

There's this amazing device they use over here at Fermi-Lab in Illinois... it's called the Electron Particle Microscope.

With this Microscope - one can find the most infinitesimal particles of matter at the atomic level. Atoms, Quarks, ect... the very building blocks of matter itself.

What does this have to do with the topic? Easy!

Had I been using one of these Electron Particle Microscopes, I STILL could not locate the interest I have in this topic.

I'm not sure which is more useless... her announcing this, or you ACTUALLY wanting to find the time, energy and drive to want to discuss this on an off-topic World of Warcraft Website.

Artists "announce" lots of strange things. Remember Prince and that goofy symbol he supposedly changed his name to? /shrug

Guys this topic has veered dangerously close to actual discussion rather than puning. Can we please get back to what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    First, Floridawoman. Now, Francewoman?
    She's English....?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Just wanted to say, good post, lots of honesty and self-analysis, you'll make a good artist, who knows maybe a great one. And if entertainment is what you want to do, then that's good too. Soldier on

I know I have my own biases, but I am very honest with them and reevaluate them on a regular basis. I am just, as you can probably tell, dismayed by the current trends in the art world, the mercenary and ugly business side of it that has come to dominate it in recent years.
    Thank you. : )
    I can understand that, and I do share a lot of your disappointment. Let's hope for a better future. Things generally don't stay stagnant for too long.