Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Get around sites that try to block adblock

So recently I've been seeing a number of posts around that sites are starting to refuse to show content to people with adblock running but I didn't think too much about it because none of the sites I go to do that...at least not until today that is. I got in the mood to start watching a new Kdrama so I headed to my favorite site only to have them refuse to load the video unless I turned my adblock off. Of course this caught me off guard but rather than going to find a new site I decided to look around google for some type of addon or something to use to get around their new adblock blocker and I found this:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/73...ck-killer-reek

after installing it I went back to my kdrama site and it seems to be working now. Figured I'd share this with others who may be having this problem and haven't already found a solution themselves.

When sites start taking responsibility for their annoying, intrusive, seizure inducing, and possibly maliciously coded ads then I might consider not using adblock but until that happens then these sites can go fuck themselves, I am not going to put my computer at risk to view their content but rather than go to a different site this time I chose to find a way around their stupid blocker to see the content I want to see.
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't visit those sites. Problem solved!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

So far I haven't encountered any websites that resist adblock like that and are still dumb enough to have obnoxiously intrusive/virus infested ads, but I'll keep that in mind if I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

So... ad block block... block?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    if someone promotes that scribt, it's basically an ad block block block ad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It's block-ception.

There was this guy in germany who did a youtube video on how to get around a "newspapers" sites "adblock block", he is now in trouble.

It's getting crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I just don't visit those sites. Problem solved!
    This here is my solution... If they value their ads more than they value having their content read then I'll just get the information elsewhere.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    This here is my solution... If they value their ads more than they value having their content read then I'll just get the information elsewhere.
    It's interesting that these threads tend to be populated by people who are often elsewhere defending the capitalist status quo but don't seem to understand that in a capitalist world they personally have to pay for things to get things.

If someone creates content and they can't make money from you, then no one cares whether you go to that site or not. In fact, the content creators probably don't want you to, you are just a drain on bandwidth. You are not exerting any influence on them at all by boycotting their site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    It's interesting that these threads tend to be populated by people who are often elsewhere defending the capitalist status quo but don't seem to understand that in a capitalist world they personally have to pay for things to get things.

If someone creates content and they can't make money from you, then no one cares whether you go to that site or not. In fact, the content creators probably don't want you to, you are just a drain on bandwidth. You are not exerting any influence on them at all by boycotting their site.
    In the information age that we live in chosing to get your information from somewhere else isn't really a 'boycott', now is it? if you have 50 people offering the same knowledge if you chose one over the other 49 are you boycotting them? I think not, its a choice you make as an information consumer. Isn't a matter of exerting influence, the only way it would reach that level is if you contacted them and TOLD them that because of X you weren't going to continue your relationship with them...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    In the information age that we live in chosing to get your information from somewhere else isn't really a 'boycott', now is it? if you have 50 people offering the same knowledge if you chose one over the other 49 are you boycotting them? I think not, its a choice you make as an information consumer. Isn't a matter of exerting influence, the only way it would reach that level is if you contacted them and TOLD them that because of X you weren't going to continue your relationship with them...
    But if you don't think your actions don't impact on the sites in question then why bother to state that fact?

The sites banning adblock don't just not care you are using them. They are pretty much saying "we don't want you as a viewer".

I'm not sure where this goes. If you as a information consumer don't contribute in any way to the upkeep of the site then the only possible reason any one would do it would be to influence the population for political purposes which wouldn't be healthy for democracy. Enough of that goes on already.

Deleted
    Posting for research purposes.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

Bingo. If you're visiting their site and not earning them ad revenue, they rightfully don't care about you. Even if it's someone's personal blog that they only spent time, and not money on, it's still comes at an opportunity cost to them. If they're willing to sacrifice the real or opportunity cost to have you view their page, they won't have an adblock blocker. If they aren't willing to sacrifice that cost, then they don't care if you boycott them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sites banning adblock don't just not care you are using them. They are pretty much saying "we don't want you as a viewer".

I'm not sure where this goes. If you as a information consumer don't contribute in any way to the upkeep of the site then the only possible reason any one would do it would be to influence the population for political purposes which wouldn't be healthy for democracy. Enough of that goes on already.
    You see, websites aren't unique snowflakes. Around 99% of websites regurgitate the same information as everyone else. If one website blocks, another won't. Why do I go to your website? Because you're the first to come up on Google, or I've been going there for a long time. But I'm not faithful to websites for info, so I will have no problem jumping from one blocking me to another that won't.

Why do some websites not block? Because they want you to help spread the word. The ones that block, just want the hits to matter. You don't think YouTube could get around Adblock? They could if they wanted to, but chances are people will go to other websites to find the content. Suddenly another website is bigger than YouTube. So YouTube is trying to find another alternative to this dilemma.

BTW, thanks OP the script seems to work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Bingo. If you're visiting their site and not earning them ad revenue, they rightfully don't care about you. Even if it's someone's personal blog that they only spent time, and not money on, it's still comes at an opportunity cost to them. If they're willing to sacrifice the real or opportunity cost to have you view their page, they won't have an adblock blocker. If they aren't willing to sacrifice that cost, then they don't care if you boycott them.
    Any one who has experimented with social media knows the truth about this: it is hurting content creation. Not just the big players: everyone. Advertising is no longer a viable commercial model. So you have two choices: put your content behind a paywall or do it for the love of it. Most people can't afford the time to do the latter.
    Of course, no one likes intrusive ads (this site is actually one of the worst). Corporations are greedy, always have been. There's a balance. But I don't think some of the people who are so passionate about adblock are going to like what is coming. Everything being free on the web is a relatively recent development and it wasn't the natural state of affairs until the start of this millenium. There's nothing inevitable about it continuing or some other non-mandatory payment model being developed.

If they are sites I visit frequently and their ads aren't too obnoxious, I turn adblock off. Of course I also use a script blocker so turning adblock off still doesn't let the ads go through.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Of course, no one likes intrusive ads (this site is actually one of the worst).
    For reference:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...orting-bad-ads

If the ad is actually intrusive, it should be reported. We don't allow floating ads that cover content, as well as a swath of other types of ads.

For reference:

If the ad is actually intrusive, it should be reported. We don't allow floating ads that cover content, as well as a swath of other types of ads.

I dont think we should have to police the ads for the site.

Its easier for me, the user, to just block the ads and move, opposed to reporting it and hoping it gets fixed at some point.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    You see, websites aren't unique snowflakes. Around 99% of websites regurgitate the same information as everyone else. If one website blocks, another won't. Why do I go to your website? Because you're the first to come up on Google, or I've been going there for a long time. But I'm not faithful to websites for info, so I will have no problem jumping from one blocking me to another that won't.

Why do some websites not block? Because they want you to help spread the word. The ones that block, just want the hits to matter. You don't think YouTube could get around Adblock? They could if they wanted to, but chances are people will go to other websites to find the content. Suddenly another website is bigger than YouTube. So YouTube is trying to find another alternative to this dilemma.

BTW, thanks OP the script seems to work.
    What about the impact on people who actually create unique content? Case study: there's a guy called Cobrak I sub to on youtube, he's a world-class destro warlock. He has around 80,000 subs, many videos with 100K hits. He's on record as making about $200 a month from ad revenue. He must be spending thousands of hours a year not just editing his videos and playing but researching his skills to stay on top. I do have an issue with people who watch his videos and use his tricks but can't bring themselves to watch a few seconds of an ad they can skip.

There's dozens of cases like that I'm aware of-I only mention this one because Cobrak published his stats for everyone to see.

A few years back that $200 would have been $2000 or more, a reasonable salary for someone who plays full-time at the top of his game. Most people would quit and many people are quitting faced with that depressing level of non-income for years worth of full-time work.

It is too easy to just point to ad saturation on huge corporate websites and make out the issue is completely one-sided.

Regarding youtube: sure they want to stay no.1. Google are not particulary focused on money because they have so much of it. Very few corporations and no private individuals or small businesses can afford to subsidize a loss-making business indefinitely.

Youtube have had some success with youtube red-it is a small but significant boost to income. It is around 10-20% of a youtuber's income. It will however be very unlikely to replace all the lost ad revenue at least in any reasonable timeframe.

- - - Updated - - -

For reference:

I don't want to be a prick about this but my computer just slows to a crawl and crashes if I leave this site up for 20 minutes+. I have to manually close a large flash file to get it working again. It is not ad-specific.

It is just possible there is something wrong with my individual set-up that is causing this. I notice other people don't seem to be having issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I dont think we should have to police the ads for the site.

Its easier for me, the user, to just block the ads and move, opposed to reporting it and hoping it gets fixed at some point.
    I think he was just explaining the situation in his capacity as moderator, to be fair, not impying that we had a duty to do anything.

I think he was just explaining the situation in his capacity as moderator, to be fair, not impying that we had a duty to do anything.
    Well no.....I guess my comment is fairly unnecessary.
    READ and be less Ignorant.