Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    A few years back, browsing without adblock wasn't such a huge deal. It was doable, you had some adds but nothing that bad or intrusive. These days if you browse without it and go to shady sites to watch series, anime or download whatever your bound to run into some malware/virusses. These are the kind of sites people usually visit and then complain about. So this also raises the question, don't you kinda deserve it, if you want to watch content which you should normally be paying for?

The goal for the site owners is quite obvious, earning money through adds. Adblock ruins this quite a bit so these kind of sites try new methods to get you to see those adds. Resulting in a endless fight between adblocking tools and these kind of websites.

I don't really know what else to say, when you only visit sites to keep up with news or sites that normally provide you with good content are usually not as bad. It's mostly the online-streaming/watching and some other shady sites that has these kind of adds.

The only question for me though is, who the hell even follows up on those adds? I have never bought anything because of them, mostly because good products don't tend to need these kind of advertisements. And the most obvious stupid things about girls in your area, penis stuff and the like. How are these still around? Are people really dumb enough to click on those kind of things?

Dont use them , dont give them traffic, never use them again, its quite simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The problem with that content is that anyone can do it. On top of that, most people are glad that you're even watching them play a game. What he's doing is called "Lets Plays". Hundreds if not thousands of people do it for free.

But the problem is not the artist, but the ads themselves. All it takes is for someone to push ads beyond what is acceptable, and now everything is blocked. Why does it have to be a video I'm forced to watch before the actual video plays? Why not just ad banners on the top or on the side? Hell, they even have commercials in between videos. Just a picture or two on the top or side and that's fine. No animations, no video, no sound.

I'd rather see machinima artists get more support, or just any artist. Pushing stats for everyone to see is not revenue worthy. Shouldn't be equal to those who animate and draw. But "Lets Plays" and "Reaction Videos" seem to get more views and therefore more pay with a fraction of the effort.

YouTube is a f*cking mess. YouTube needs to fix their ad situation, and my suggestion is to force users to see banners and no more video ads. Mostly because if you work at a job they will most likely just ban YouTube all together. All that junk just eats bandwidth. Just a simple picture at the top and bottom and be done with it. Not to forget that people are extremely impatient. Sometimes you can skip ads, sometimes you can't. Especially cause YouTube is just full of junk videos

But it's pretty clear that YouTube kinda wants to be like Television and force you to watch the same stupid ads you see on TV. Vimeo doesn't have video ads, or I haven't seen one yet. I just checked and it has a simple single picture ad that was barely visible.

Pretty sure everyone knew that was a bad idea. Remember, YouTube can force you to watch ads but it'll likely work against them. They need to find a better way to make money, but YouTube Red isn't it. A donate system built into YouTube, or even ads that are specifically meant to advertise their products. Like T-Shirts or mugs to support your favorite YouTuber.

Or just a picture or two while your watch the video. God knows there's a lot of YouTuber's that are sponsored, so maybe they should make a better sponsor system. A lot of YouTubers are doing that nowadays.

You sure it isn't an ad? What uses flash on this site besides videos and ads?
    First, I don't think you appreciate the difference between "let's plays" and instructional videos. Pewdiepie does "let's plays". A really good instructional video can take months to create-more if you include time spent developing and maintaining your skills. Cobrak built his channel on the latter.

Machinima is fine, but any one can do it also. Download model viewer. To do it really well technically is difficult, but many don't bother (crendor). Machinima gets so much traffic it doesn't need top-up funding anyway.

Banner ads or static ads simply don't bring in enough revenue to support content creators. The point about youtube red is that every content creator gets a cut of the profits which means they are less dependent on ad revenue. I'm not sure what you mean by "everyone thought it was a bad idea". It is making money.

All the big youtubers are doing the merchandizing stuff already. They have too.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Banner ads or static ads simply don't bring in enough revenue to support content creators.
    Versus getting no revenue because people are blocking your ads?

Why should I have to sit through a 10 second ad just to start a video I might immediately shut off because it turns out it doesn't interest me? I stopped paying for cable TV a long time ago precisely because I hated being forced to sit through ads.

Ad companies and content producers need to adapt to consumer demand rather than trying to force consumers to accept their outdated and intrusive model. They can fight back by blocking people who use Adblock if they like, but the number of people using Adblock will continue to grow despite this. And even as content dies out, Adblock users will continue to grow. A new ad/revenue model that doesn't piss off the end-user, or a draconian take over of how the internet operates, is the only thing that will curb this trend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly I use Chrome with Adblock and Ghostery. For sites that take issue with this, I either don't bother; or if I'm particularly interested in the content, I switch to Firefox and put up with the ads.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, I don't think you appreciate the difference between "let's plays" and instructional videos. Pewdiepie does "let's plays". A really good instructional video can take months to create-more if you include time spent developing and maintaining your skills. Cobrak built his channel on the latter.
    To be honest, there's really no difference. We're talking about playing a class in WoW, where spreadsheets are literally all over the internet. Though "lets plays" are more for comedy but both record videos of themselves playing a game. If he took the time to crunch numbers, then that's all good but it shouldn't take months.

Here's an actual instructional video that takes months to create.

Machinima is fine, but any one can do it also. Download model viewer. To do it really well technically is difficult, but many don't bother (crendor). Machinima gets so much traffic it doesn't need top-up funding anyway.
    Machinima is lazy art, but still takes more skill then a WoW player explaining how to play your class. Then you have animations like these. Wonders of the Universe (Ep 4) has ~1.5 thousand views. While some of these get millions of views, but these kind of animations take months if not a years worth of time to create a single episode. It will generate, if lucky, the same revenue as a "let's play". Because it takes so long to make one of these, the artist can be forgotten quickly along with their work.

Banner ads or static ads simply don't bring in enough revenue to support content creators. The point about youtube red is that every content creator gets a cut of the profits which means they are less dependent on ad revenue. I'm not sure what you mean by "everyone thought it was a bad idea". It is making money.

All the big youtubers are doing the merchandizing stuff already. They have too.
    I already explained how this can be solved. Someone make a "Advertising Alliance Group" that sets up simple guide lines as how to advertisements. YouTube can work with creators to put ads within the videos. Look at Dragon Ball Super where they somehow pushed Instant Ramen into the show. It's product placement, but done very well that fits into the show. Not like in Transformer movies where it's a blitzkrieg of stuff thrown everywhere. Most YouTubers are doing this now anyway. Linus tech tips does this all the time.

Right now, YouTube seems like it needs serious help from Google. Cause right now it seems like Google doesn't care too much to what happens with YouTube.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post

I already explained how this can be solved. Someone make a "Advertising Alliance Group" that sets up simple guide lines as how to advertisements. YouTube can work with creators to put ads within the videos. Look at Dragon Ball Super where they somehow pushed Instant Ramen into the show. It's product placement, but done very well that fits into the show. Not like in Transformer movies where it's a blitzkrieg of stuff thrown everywhere. Most YouTubers are doing this now anyway. Linus tech tips does this all the time.

Right now, YouTube seems like it needs serious help from Google. Cause right now it seems like Google doesn't care too much to what happens with YouTube.
    I'm all for blue-sky thinking, but when you are on the other side of this,having to create income fast or your business fails, you are more likely to go for a simple and obvious solution such as sticking everything behind a paywall. That may not make much money, but it will allow you to stay in profit without any risk.

Product placement can work, but if it became dominant as a form of advertising it would get abused and overdone exactly as websites do with ads now. It isn't viable for smaller channels at all because it requires some communication between the advertiser and content creator.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for blue-sky thinking, but when you are on the other side of this,having to create income fast or your business fails, you are more likely to go for a simple and obvious solution such as sticking everything behind a paywall. That may not make much money, but it will allow you to stay in profit without any risk.
    A lot of things YouTube does to stay away from risk. But when you're in the technology business, you have to often take risks or become the next BlockBuster.
    Product placement can work, but if it became dominant as a form of advertising it would get abused and overdone exactly as websites do with ads now. It isn't viable for smaller channels at all because it requires some communication between the advertiser and content creator.
    The thing with product placement is scrutiny. If YouTubers put too much in their videos then they only have themselves to blame and not YouTube or advertisers. They know better than anyone else what their audience wants to see, and wants to buy. Right now, who do you blame for video advertisements? YouTube has no face to blame. If Linus Tech Tips is just a 10 minute long infomercial, then when they lose viewers, it's their own fault.