Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I feel I should point out that I merely said that I don't think outer space, as it's commonly thought of, exists. I didn't say anything about stars and the moon and the sun and planets. Just outer space as it's commonly thought of.
    Which is why I asked for clarification on what you mean. You asked "And we know this... how?" in response to me asking what you meant.

That was in response to "I'm not sure entirely what you mean. We know for a fact there's other planets, the sun, etc, and those are all in space." That kind if implies you don't believe in those things at all since you didn't answer the question, but rather challenged my view that we know things like the sun or planets exist.

I feel I should point out that I merely said that I don't think outer space, as it's commonly thought of, exists. I didn't say anything about stars and the moon and the sun and planets. Just outer space as it's commonly thought of.
    would you care to elaborate or just continue to be purposefully vague in the hopes of checkmating people who engage you?

Please, tell us how Outer Space is "commonly thought of" then.

- - - Updated - - -

That's funny, I've been thinking the same thing about you all this time.
    Sorry, you just don't have the credibility to question other peoples sanity after spouting conspiracies about The Moon Landing and not believing in space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    would you care to elaborate or just continue to be purposefully vague in the hopes of checkmating people who engage you?
    Here's an example. One of the most commonly held qualities of outer space is that it is cold. There are, however, a growing number of educated people who maintain that space isn't cold and that a human being wouldn't freeze if exposed to it because in order for heat to transfer away from the body there has to be matter coming into contact with said body. Since there's no atmosphere in space, a human being exposed to it would not immediately freeze. (They'd still be dead from lack of atmospheric pressure, of course, but they wouldn't experience a sudden drop in temperature.)

Here's an example. One of the most commonly held qualities of outer space is that it is cold. There are, however, a growing number of educated people who maintain that space isn't cold and that a human being wouldn't freeze if exposed to it because in order for heat to transfer away from the body there has to be matter coming into contact with said body. Since there's no atmosphere in space, a human being exposed to it would not immediately freeze. (They'd still be dead from lack of atmospheric pressure, of course, but they wouldn't experience a sudden drop in temperature.)
    so you're talking about how a layperson understands space? and why would that prohibit a space colony?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    so you're talking about how a layperson understands space? and why would that prohibit a space colony?
    Or question the idea of "outer space" - lol. He's fun though, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    United States and Chine, but it's likely to include a corporation as well like Space X.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm calling BS on this clarification. You're certainly back-peddling. You originally said:

Belgium. Totally.

(Actually, I don't think any nation will start a space colony because I don't believe in "outer space.")
    Those two things do not relate.

I must admit, I was saddened as well when I learned that a short walk on mars probably wouldn't cause my eyes and tongue to pop out of my skull

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    That was a really awesome read. Thanks a lot!
    Very welcome. My favorite part was where the construction of the base uses material from the moon utilizing a 3D printer. Regolith from the moon fed into several space-rated printers would be a phenomenal decrease in construction costs.

China. They're the only country with the technology, the will and the disregard for human life to get anything done lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Very welcome. My favorite part was where the construction of the base uses material from the moon utilizing a 3D printer. Regolith from the moon fed into several space-rated printers would be a phenomenal decrease in construction costs.
    Right, and the concept of self-replicating solar factories to build satellites to collect solar energy? Pretty amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    That was a really awesome read. Thanks a lot!
    I have to second this, I enjoyed it. Thanks again dude!

10+ Year Old Account
    The US has is a step ahead of everyone in terms of spaceflight - but a quite a bit.

The US will either do it one its own pace or do it when it thinks another country is getting close.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    A country's people would have to have the desire.

And that ain't happening.
    You'd be surprised. I'd take the trip to colonize Mars in a heartbeat. We're living in a really wonderful time for discovery and pioneering technology right now. I want to be part of it.

And definitely the US. I know India, Russia and China are working on space technology now but I think the US has had too long a head-start (not that that's a bad thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    What countries in your opinion do you believe will establish long-term colonies in space? My opinion, I think at least one if not all of these countries; United States, Japan, France, United Kingdom, India, Russia or China.
    USA could design and launch ones but would then we'd staff it based on equality, affarmative action, and entitlement instead of merit and they'd all die in a day.

Japan will go into isolation status.

France and the UK will be recovering from nuclear attacks.

India is just a laughable addition to the list.

Russia will be exactly the same then as they are now.

China will have made hundreds of trillions building low quality parts for the U.S. space infastructure plus have access all the technological development per their contracts because they bring businessmen to the negotiation table and we bring limp wristed appeasers. So they'll have the money and the knowledge to do it right and beat us.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Within the next few decades, or within half a century? US, EU would be a joint venture of multiple countries, Russia, China. India is rising fast so maybe... And don't know much about Japan but probably they would if they wanted.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2016-03-25 at 06:17 AM.

Well, to be honest, i didnt read the whole thread. So maybe someone said it but:

If humans would be smarter it would be the EARTH-nation who first build space colonies.
    And i mean this in "i would visit my uncle on mars tomorrow".

Well, we're simply not there yet. In space its not one nation from a planet its the whole planet that counts.
    In smaller scale its like a city, its not just a few streets, its the summary of all of them.
    Last edited by Zatachi; 2016-03-25 at 06:35 AM.

Deleted
    Space colonies are so far into the future, at least a few centuries, that it's not safe to assume nations as we know them today will still exist.

just look at how the world looked 100 years ago, 200 years ago, vast changes in nations happen all the time. there is no reason to assume those changes will stop. even in our lifetimes entire countries have stopped existing and new ones have formed.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-03-25 at 06:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Saw this on my feed, seems like the ESA is interested in a moon base. Would be cool if we all pooled our money together, hell even a tiny amount from every nation would be enough to propel things forward.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...e-to-Mars.html

Transporting this all to the Moon seems to be quite an undertaking. What is the evaluated cost of this village, if built nowadays?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.