Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Your understanding of how ecosystems work seems a little faulty.

First and foremost, yes, it would compete with the tigers, 100%. The lions might not be a viable population in the long run, but they'd certainly drag the tigers down with them.

Second, no prey item in Siberia is adapted to dealing with pack-hunting animals larger than wolves.

And consequently, it would 100% be an invasive species. These lions didn't just go extinct in the past ~200 years or so, and being from the area at some long-gone time in the past has nothing to do with with whether they'd be disruptive or not. The ecosystem and its animals have adjusted for more than 10,000 years to a habitat where large, pack-hunting predators do not exist. Siberian tigers filled the niche of apex predator, and they've come into risk. Their niche and the roll they play in the ecosystem is already jeopardized; exacerbating the imbalance does nothing but stress the balance of every living there there.
    Tigers in Russia exist in the Far East close to the Chinese border (Siberian tigers don't actually live in Siberia, that's why many people have starting calling them Amur tigers alternately).

I was talking about reintroducing them in the chance of an ecological restoration taking place where horses, bison, musk ox, yak, etc, are reintroduced across Siberia.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why people are talking about letting these clone animals go free in the wild. No one is going to just let such an expensive animal go free its going to end up in a zoo or park. Specially considering that they probably cant survive anyway and would harm the ecosystems they were released in

Now if we were cloning black rhinos or Tasmanian tigers and releasing them that would be different.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2016-03-25 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    I don't know why people are talking about letting these clone animals go free in the wild. No one is going to just let such an expensive animal go free its going to end up in a zoo or park.
    That's what most geneticists and others plan on doing with mammoths or mammoth hybrids if they could create a population of them

I like how the article implies that the lions are also painters.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Who wants to hunt Cecil the Cave Lion for $100000?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Tigers in Russia exist in the Far East close to the Chinese border (Siberian tigers don't actually live in Siberia, that's why many people have starting calling them Amur tigers alternately).

I was talking about reintroducing them in the chance of an ecological restoration taking place where horses, bison, musk ox, yak, etc, are reintroduced across Siberia.
    ...except animals already live in those places. Cave lions, as I said, do not and have not for more than 10,000 years.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of getting back species that were extinct as a direct result of human interference, but before we do that we should really make sure we can keep the current species alive. Destruction of the environment and loss of habitat is not going to be helped by upheaving the whole food chain and introducing even more species.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I like the idea of getting back species that were extinct as a direct result of human interference, but before we do that we should really make sure we can keep the current species alive. Destruction of the environment and loss of habitat is not going to be helped by upheaving the whole food chain and introducing even more species.
    It would be an interesting idea to try to genetically engineer species that would naturally counter the destruction we are inflicting on the environment. Imagine genetically engineered bacteria that fly around and consume gases we release into the atmosphere, transforming them into oxygen and dumping the remains into the soil, enriching it as well... So, we can do both at the same time!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.