Confused by BT crits.

Hey all.

So this is a bit anecdotal, especially as I wasn't logging at the time, but something very odd happened today in a mythic dungeon (have noticed unlucky streaks before, but this was stupid.)

So buffed I was sitting on 32% crit chance, combined with the inbuilt 40% crit chance of BT, with Recklessness up with an additional 30% I was sitting on what would be 102% crit, yet I had 3 non critical BT's in a row. I wonder what would make this possible mechanically.

Is there some inbuilt diminishing return or something I'm missing that could mechanically cause this?

Crit suppression: you have 1% reduced chance to crit per level the target is above you. Bosses are +3, therefore you have 3% less chance to crit against them.

That said, I find it extremely hard to believe that you failed to crit three times in a row with a 99% chance to crit, so I'm fairly certain some other factor was left out or forgotten. Still, it is mechanically possible.

To be fair most bosses in dungeons are not lvl 103 but lvl 102, so he was at 100% regardless of suppression.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelon View Post
    To be fair most bosses in dungeons are not lvl 103 but lvl 102, so he was at 100% regardless of suppression.
    Mythic Dungeon bosses are 103.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Mythic Dungeon bosses are 103.
    I know you wrote mythic, but not ALL of them are. The big grunt on grimrail depot (first boss) is not, hes lvl 102 and he did not mention which boss he was killing.

That grunt might be classified as an add in that fight but w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelon View Post
    I know you wrote mythic, but not ALL of them are. The big grunt on grimrail depot (first boss) is not, hes lvl 102 and he did not mention which boss he was killing.

That grunt might be classified as an add in that fight but w/e.
    Are you talking about Borka the Brute? Wowhead shows him as 103 on Mythic, though it's possible there is a mistake either there or in-game. I'd have to verify but I'm fairly certain that all bosses in Mythic dungeons are 103.

Are you talking about Borka the Brute? Wowhead shows him as 103 on Mythic, though it's possible there is a mistake either there or in-game. I'd have to verify but I'm fairly certain that all bosses in Mythic dungeons are 103.
    Yep, I was killing him today and was wondering why he was showing as 102 ingame when hes supposed to be classified as a boss, but that might just be him, didnt bother to look at the other ones.

Is it possible that you were simply standing infront or on the side of the boss, making it possible for it to parry your bloodthirsts? Either way, as it has already been stated, you have a reduced chance to crit against targets that are higher level than you. It may have just been an extremely bad stroke of luck.

I know that feeling after you finish an insane burst with like 4 execute procs and you don't crit 3 or 4 times after reck expires~ :P

If you stand in front of the boss he can Block and Parry your attacks, that's another 6+% reduced crit chance.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

The boss was Yalnu in Everbloom. I am pretty sure (I'd say certain) I was behind him. I did forget about Crit Suppression, but still at 99% crit chance... I deserve a Feat of Strength or something for this.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-03-26 at 11:32 PM.

Deleted
    Don't know. I actually still get Bloodsurge Wild Strikes not critting with the 4-pc (albeit rarely) when I stand behind Archimonde. o.O Weird shit.

Deleted
    Since last reset it somehow feels as if I crit a lot less with BT now. Maybe it's just RNG deciding to go on another rampage against me. Wouldn't be the first time.

Nothing suspicious going on here. Random is random.

Quick test with a relatively small number sample on lvl 102 training dummy shows that BT crit is in expected area (even ~6% higher):

It's just the glorious RNG-Enrage design working as intended
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

Deleted
    That said, I find it extremely hard to believe that you failed to crit three times in a row with a 99% chance to crit, so I'm fairly certain some other factor was left out or forgotten. Still, it is mechanically possible.
    Bit OT but I saw live on twitch Quinn69 while playing Diablo 3 to get 3 - 1% chance upgrades on a gem in row so it is possible and this person is probably (un)lucky too

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    Bit OT but I saw live on twitch Quinn69 while playing Diablo 3 to get 3 - 1% chance upgrades on a gem in row so it is possible and this person is probably (un)lucky too
    Sure it's possible, just not probable. Though in WoW there are a lot of other factors at play that are easily missed such as;
    Standing infront of the boss
    Actually standing inside the boss, rather than behind it
    Not realizing Reck wore off
    Miscalculating your crit chance

etc.

Deleted
    The thing that hurts me the most is that still parry/block from standing in front, everything is fine till the boss randomly turns to you , casting some abiliti or other shit. Iskar, construct, or even fel lord for cavitation is great example. You just hit that bloodthirst or bloodsurge WS and boss quick turn to your face, getting blocked and parried hurts me a lot, Funny thing is that if Arms CS is getting blocked you still have cs debuff on the target but if fury BT is blocked you aint getting enrage, crit suppresion is too high.

A blocked attack can still crit, even tho it doesn't appear to do so in most combat-text addons, if I'm not mistaken.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders