Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Does not matter what genre! Any game can tell a good story.

But sadly nowdays most of the games are like a Michael Bay movie.

Many special effects but almost no story.
    Last edited by Durandir; 2016-03-26 at 03:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    How exactly isn't it video game ?
    Because you are giving commands on a static image. It's a computer-generated game, but not a video game. And even if you find a description that fits your side, it's still not a traditional video game, but a visual novel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Visual novel, hands down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Visual novel, hands down.
    Do they actually have game elements nowadays? The only one I played was FSN and it wasn't much of a game at all.

I'd say RPG is the only possible answer here. Whether it's a First Person RPG or a Third Person RPG doesn't matter.
    It depends on how long the story is supposed to be too.
    Spec Ops: The Line had a good story and it wasn't so long that game mechanics got extremely boring.

Same with ME2 and ME3... not so true for ME1.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-03-26 at 03:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Summoner View Post
    Because you are giving commands on a static image. It's a computer-generated game, but not a video game. And even if you find a description that fits your side, it's still not a traditional video game, but a visual novel.
    But OP asks what genre of games is best for storytelling. Word "video" doesn't show even once in OP. So whats your point ?

Do they actually have game elements nowadays? The only one I played was FSN and it wasn't much of a game at all.

I'd say RPG is the only possible answer here. Whether it's a First Person RPG or a Third Person RPG doesn't matter.
    It depends on how long the story is supposed to be too.
    Spec Ops: The Line had a good story and it wasn't so long that game mechanics got extremely boring.

Same with ME2 and ME3... not so true for ME1.
    Well monstergirl quest has atual combat system while still being visual novel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    But OP asks what genre of games is best for storytelling. Word "video" doesn't show even once in OP. So whats your point ?
    I think this thread is about video games, since OP is exploring and asking about first person and real time strategy genres.
    Reading comprehension.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Reading comprehension.
    Nope, he uses them as examples. And you are still to prove any of your point.

Storytelling is best done outside of games. A book is going to be the purest form of story delivering, so if you are looking otherwise you are cheating yourself.
    However, if we MUST consider games, then there is no reason any genre is better or worse.
    The genre usually relates to the theme and play of the game, not the story.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton begs to differ.
    And Phoenix Wright Duel Destinies.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Strange, all I remember are chest high walls and iron sights.

Although one can consider that to be a horrific sight of the future of shooters.
    you totally nailed it haha

Every genre can tell a good story if the game is put together well. That said, I often find the non-RPG games due it more cohesively simply because there aren't 1-2 hours worth of random enemies and BS between each story checkpoint, but some Action RPGs do it quite well.

Any genre. However, I personally do expect better (and probably more) storytelling from certain genres (or even games within a genre). An RPG like Pillars of Eternity/Dragon Age for example I expect a lot more from than say an action RPG like Grim Dawn/Diablo.

It really depends on what the developer wants to do with the game more than the genre itself. You can have open world RPG's like the Witcher 3 with a great story, linear 3rd person games like The Last of Us, shooters like Bioshock infinite, RTS games like Warcraft 3 and pixel-rpgs like To The Moon.

To me it doesn't really matter, each type has their own touch to how it can be done, but I wouldnt say that any one genre is objectively better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    I don't know about that Advanced Warfare had an absolutely amazing single player story that was both a warning and an observation of current and future trends with MICs.
    Let me guess, you think Michael Bay films have good stories to? Because that is every CoD campaign from 4 on.

To each their own, CoD campaigns have never seemed like intelligent well crafted stories to me. Just bro dog murica explosions rambo save the world. The Bad Company series had a far better story going on IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    No not really, however I do tend to not judge before actually playing something for myself.

The fact that you think AW has a murica plot means you definitely didn't play it.
    Wow, the comeback of "you don't agree with me so you didn't play it".

Matter of fact I have played every single CoD campaign. I usually always redbox them on a boring weekend and plow through them and never even touch MP, so telling me I haven't played something is laughable. If you want someone to take you serious, try to not come with such an ignorant retort.

I guess the fact you think by "murica" I mean American nationalism is where you screwed up. I don't. I mean stereotypical american action-entertainment.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-03-27 at 05:10 AM.

Maybe I wasn't 100% clear in my original post. While I know any genre can tell a story I am mainly curious if certain genre's are better suited to tell a specific type of story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    Maybe I wasn't 100% clear in my original post. While I know any genre can tell a story I am mainly curious if certain genre's are better suited to tell a specific type of story.
    In that case, I do know RPG's tend to do better telling more personal stories. They encourage you to feel like the characters you play, and everything in the world, no matter how small, has an impact.

Game genre and story are two entirely separate elements. A story is extraneous to a video game, classic games like Tetris or Pacman require no story. Neither do modern games like Hearthstone. Trying to shoe horn one in would make them worse off as a whole.

Would the story of Halo be any different if it was a JRPG? Would Final Fantasy 7 be completely different if it was a 3rd person adventure or a platformer? The answer is no, none of those game mechanics tie into the story any better, or any worse, than their original mechanics. The question you're asking is invalid.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Jrpgs to me are more widely-suited for story telling, only exception is the witcher series.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    Yes, they are. A game of any genre can present a good story, though both have to go well together. An extreme example: A turn-based 4x game is probably not the best pick if you want to tell a horror story. It can theoretically work, but a FPS or adventure are much more suited for it, and will make it much easier to get into the story.