Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Where I grew up we permanently had a 20kg/45lb bag of dry dog food open in the shed. If the dogs were hungry they could eat as much or as little as they wanted. Meant we didn't have to be super consistent about always feeding them the correct amount of scraps etc. They could always get something if they were hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Where I grew up we permanently had a 20kg/45lb bag of dry dog food open in the shed. If the dogs were hungry they could eat as much or as little as they wanted. Meant we didn't have to be super consistent about always feeding them the correct amount of scraps etc. They could always get something if they were hungry.
    Well this only works on dogs/breeds that are capable of being "free eaters." Some breeds will tend to (labs especially) literally eat themselves to death if given free range on food.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Deleted
    A spoonfull of gravy/broth/yoghurt/spaghetti sauce. Mix it real well with the dry food. problem solved.

Deleted
    Have you tried feeding it to them while making airplane or train sounds?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    A spoonfull of gravy/broth/yoghurt/spaghetti sauce. Mix it real well with the dry food. problem solved.
    No wonder some peoples dogs stink so badly..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    No wonder some peoples dogs stink so badly..
    My dog doesn´t stink. Swing and a miss.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dog doesn´t stink. Swing and a miss.
    O'rly.

Did you ask a stranger or is that your own nuanced opinion?

And I obviously don't mean the fur or the dog in general. I mean what comes out of his backend.

Deleted
    O'rly.

Did you ask a stranger or is that your own nuanced opinion?

And I obviously don't mean the fur or the dog in general. I mean what comes out of his backend.
    Since he craps in nature I don´t really sniff it. But it doesn´t seem particularly smelly. Salmon oil keeps his tummy in order.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try hand feeding it to them. I used to do this with my dog. I don't know why this worked but it did. Maybe she thought I was giving her treats? I don't know but she kept eating the handfuls I was giving to her. You can also try shredding up some ham or something and mix it in with the food. This is what my dad used to do when my old dog wouldn't eat. Once he mixed some ham in there she sucked it right up.

If both of those things don't work then just let the dog go hungry. Leave the food in it's bowl and when it's hungry and realizes that it's probably not going to get any food from you it'll eventually go back to his own food. Don't give in to those puppy eyes. Dogs aren't human they don't have to be fed as many times as we do. The dog we have now we feed him once a day with a couple treats in between and he's still the chubby little turd that he is. So when the dog gets hungry he'll wander over to his bowl. If even that doesn't work try finding a brand that'll work for it. There's a possibility that it could just be that the food just isn't that great. Then after you've tried several brands and still nothing I'd say maybe try finding some professional help. Most human food is not good for dogs and the ones that are get them fat and you don't want a fat dog.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Stop caving. If they're hungry long enough, they'll eat the damned dry food.
    ^this, also its healthy for most living things to go without food for a day... Even dogs.

Also dont get 3 dogs if you cant afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Stop caving. If they're hungry long enough, they'll eat the damned dry food.
    basically this...tough love.

plus try a different brand. some animals just dont like certain foods. like humans...

I find that my animals like the limited ingredient foods a lot, plus it's better for them.

This is an old thread and I can't remember if I posted this or not but the dogs will eat the dry food eventually. My dog used to wait till it was evident he wasn't getting fed human food to eat his dog food.

Quote Originally Posted by McCrazy View Post
    1. See, that they don't get any food besides their regular 'mealtimes'. Twice a day is enough. (Morning and evening).
    2. If you feed them left-overs, don't give it 'from the table' but save it and mix it with the dry food.
    3. Try other sorts/brands. There is some dry food you have to mix with water. You can mix the water with cold bouillon or milk.
    4. If they don't eat their portions at 'mealtime' make smaller portions, take it away after 10-15 Min. and don't give anything other until next meal.
    This is the advice I would have given. I'm a home-breeder (dogs live like pets either with me or other families, but come to my place to have their puppies), and I have lots of experience with picky dogs. Sticking to meal times and removing the food after 10-15 mins is really the most important thing. Getting used to not giving treats to your dog can be difficult at first, but it is really for their best. And never stick to the cheapest store-brand food, get a good kibble at least without wheat and preferably just veggies and meat. It may seem pricey compared to the stuff you feed them now, but most likely they will eat less of it and with better appetite. Side effect of quality food is also less poop :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Since he craps in nature I don´t really sniff it. But it doesn´t seem particularly smelly. Salmon oil keeps his tummy in order.
    Youll smell it if you accidentially stand in it. Which will have happened if you ever get out of the house.

If the smell isn't too bad, you know it was a healthy dog that gets fed what dogs are supposed to have.
    If it stinks horribly you can tell that dog gets fed all kinds of nonsense it shouldn't have.

That is what i meant with stinking.

Deleted
    Youll smell it if you accidentially stand in it. Which will have happened if you ever get out of the house.
    What a strange thing to say

If the smell isn't too bad, you know it was a healthy dog that gets fed what dogs are supposed to have.
    If it stinks horribly you can tell that dog gets fed all kinds of nonsense it shouldn't have.

That is what i meant with stinking.
    Like I said he doesn´t smell any better or worse than other dogs. And there are far better health indicators. Hell a dog can live a perfect life without ever having dog food and only being fed leftovers from dinner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said he doesn´t smell any better or worse than other dogs. And there are far better health indicators. Hell a dog can live a perfect life without ever having dog food and only being fed leftovers from dinner.
    Okay buddy.

Deleted
    Okay buddy.
    Worked for 15 years with our cocker spaniel. But you keep smelling poop.

That Cocker was my parents while I grew up. Since then they have had golden rets, and I have had 2 golden rets in my adulthood. 1st was a female prize winning agility dog. My second is now 9 months and well into his disc dog training.

My dogs have always had dry food from the vet and salmon oil. I have recently been looking into coconut oil for dogs.

Here, no one uses wet food for dogs. That´s usually considered garbage commercial crap.

Buddy
    Last edited by mmoc3eb006e951; 2016-04-22 at 12:36 AM.