10+ Year Old Account

The "watch streams" advice.

Is bad advice. Stop telling people to watch top people play arena. It doesn't help because someone that is bad or new at the game is not going to understand what is even going on and the strategies that top players use don't work in low mmr arena.

You're wasting your time watching other people play when you could be playing the game yourself and improving your own skills. There's no easy or fast way at getting "good" in any game. You need to grind 1000's of games and always have an assertive mentality with each game session and find people that are as serious as you about it. That's how you get good and that's how you learn how to play the game.

Youtube guides, site guides and Twitch streaming or sites like skillcapped are just a scam and a waste of time. They only teach you the the rules and mechanics of the game (and very little of it, not the nuances that set you above the majority of people - this is done on purpose) but they never teach you the correct assertive mindset you need to have. I feel that most of getting good at any kind of competitive environment comes down to mindset and the reason most people fail is because they will never have the right mindset.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Is bad advice. Stop telling people to watch top people play arena. It doesn't help because someone that is bad or new at the game is not going to understand what is even going on and the strategies that top players use don't work in low mmr arena.

You're wasting your time watching other people play when you could be playing the game yourself and improving your own skills. There's no easy or fast way at getting "good" in any game. You need to grind 1000's of games and always have an assertive mentality with each game session and find people that are as serious as you about it. That's how you get good and that's how you learn how to play the game.

Youtube guides, site guides and Twitch streaming or sites like skillcapped are just a scam and a waste of time. They only teach you the the rules and mechanics of the game (and very little of it, not the nuances that set you above the majority of people - this is done on purpose) but they never teach you the correct assertive mindset you need to have. I feel that most of getting good at any kind of competitive environment comes down to mindset and the reason most people fail is because they will never have the right mindset.
    Some truth here.

However, I've never really understood the fascination with arena as what elitists consider to be the "highest" form of pvp. Essentially you are put in a shoebox, and players run around a pillar healing themselves until one team dies of boredom.

I'm not sure why this has any place in a game with "world" in the title.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2016-03-26 at 02:51 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Some truth here.

However, I've never really understood the fascination with arena as what elitists consider to be the "highest" form of pvp. Essentially you are put in a shoebox, and players run around a pillar healing themselves until one team dies of boredom.

I'm not sure why this has any place in a game with "world" in the title.
    That's what you're seeing because you don't really understand what's going on.

And back to the topic, it isn't bad advice at all. It can work for some people, others it won't. For me, it definitely helped. I used skillcapped and YouTube as a main source of learning and I found that they really gave some in-depth explanations for the basics that really helped me figure stuff out.

But yes, I agree that your mindset is really important too. You see all these people going on the forums, making threads about "X is OP, nerf X, my class isn't viable because X said so". Those people aren't ever going to get good because they have the mindset of "it's the game, not me" and not "well, what am I doing wrong?" and the game is FULL of these people, which is probably why pruning is continuing and the casuals are rejoicing that their QQ feedback is being listened to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz1096 View Post
    That's what you're seeing because you don't really understand what's going on.
    I understand exactly what is going on. It just isn't that interesting relative to other forms of pvp.

Btw I think you'd have a tough time trying to tell people whose class has been nerfed they should just get better. If that worked, then the top-ranked players would show an equal mix of classes and specs which has never been the case. Of course people have the responsibility for their own improvement, that is nothing to do with acknowledging systemic statistically significant verifiable bias in the game itself.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I understand exactly what is going on. It just isn't that interesting relative to other forms of pvp.

Btw I think you'd have a tough time trying to tell people whose class has been nerfed they should just get better. If that worked, then the top-ranked players would show an equal mix of classes and specs which has never been the case. Of course people have the responsibility for their own improvement, that is nothing to do with acknowledging systemic statistically significant verifiable bias in the game itself.
    Well, when those sorts of people are normally around 1600-1700 rating, they do really need to improve before even thinking about their specs state at the top end of the ladder.

HEH, well you are so wrong i actually had to register just to tell you how you are on the complete opposite side of right on this one.
    First of all, a stream wont help you get the right mindset, and this doesent need explanation, the stream isnt there to affect your mindset in that matter, unless its a educational stream (witch just makes it even more educational...)

I was that 16-1700 player for a long time, and only through the advice of watching good pvp`ers play arena, i started getting better in the form of grasping the kitegame, how careful high rated players are on CD`s! swapping on every defensive wall, cc/lining/counterCD every offensive CD..

this would be a book if i was gonna explain everything it helped me with, point is; i staggered into a wall around 1700, then learning from actual very good players changed the game completely, now i can easily play 2.1+ with any decent setup. on any class.

Streams help alot, just dont watch the shit ones.

10+ Year Old Account

True and untrue. In general I would recommend 2s watching. If the person is that new, these a treasure troves for how to move, kite, positioning, proper DR tracking and even logical options for setting up bars. None of that requires In depth knowledge of the game in general, past understanding what works for you.

This is where wow falls short against.. Say... The Voyboys of the world in league; he actually discusses reasoning for actions and choices in depth as they happen without the viewer needing a ton of understanding. Wow 3v3 is often too intense and in deep to do that in real time. Just 2 cents.

Deleted
    Well, when those sorts of people are normally around 1600-1700 rating, they do really need to improve before even thinking about their specs state at the top end of the ladder.
    That's a lot of work. Logically, most people are not going to be successful. Most are going to look at what classes are successful because they don't want to waste their time investment.

To persevere with an apparently weak class you have to be one of those people who believes they can uncover potential in a class that no one knows about yet. I might have found that idea appealling in past expansions but with the ability prune it is much less likely that you will come up with something no one else has noticed.

... what you think they tell you to watch streams because the fights are good?

Watch streams and pay attention to abilities used and debuffs / buffs applied.

Jesus we have to start teach people HOW to learn to play the game better? We really are fucked.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's a lot of work. Logically, most people are not going to be successful. Most are going to look at what classes are successful because they don't want to waste their time investment.

To persevere with an apparently weak class you have to be one of those people who believes they can uncover potential in a class that no one knows about yet. I might have found that idea appealling in past expansions but with the ability prune it is much less likely that you will come up with something no one else has noticed.
    The thing to do is find a spec you like, regardless of how strong it is. Stick with it and never quit. If you get decent at it when it's fairly weak you'll be even better when it's considered strong. Some people play weak specs so they can blame their spec when they can't break 1700.

Deleted
    The thing to do is find a spec you like, regardless of how strong it is. Stick with it and never quit. If you get decent at it when it's fairly weak you'll be even better when it's considered strong. Some people play weak specs so they can blame their spec when they can't break 1700.
    But what if it never gets strong? I can think of a few specs which have never really been that hot.