Thread: shaving

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

shaving

So question to the men on the board and I suppose possibly the women. Do any of you shave with a straight razor? I'm curious of the quality of a shave with one compared to a conventional razor?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

If done properly, straight razor is as smooth as it gets.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I use an electric razor with one of those cleaning chamber things. You shave then stick it in the chamber, push a button, and walk away. Takes about 4 hours for cleaning and drying, but it comes out nice and clean. Never have used a straight razor. My brother uses one and says it's a much closer shave compared to any electric.

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to shaving anyway. People ask me all the time if I'm growing a beard. Which I'm really not trying to do, but I sometimes go 4-5 days.

15+ Year Old Account
    I use the normal razors, Gillette Pro Glide at the moment. Though I dislike how it looks anyway. I have that type of beard growth that is visible even with a close shave.

I would like to try a straight razor, but it feels like such a hassle and I can just imagine cutting myself so much

I don't shave. Trim. With a machine. On length setting 7. Haven't shaved in 2 or 3 years.

I learned it, but I found using a classic razor (doubleedged safety) is almost as smooth and considerably faster. I still like to keep the straight razor as backup.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use disposable. Tried using an electric razor a while back for about a month, but would leave me with a bad rash. Never tried a straight razor... don't trust myself enough haha

sig made by BeastyBeauty

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I use the normal razors, Gillette Pro Glide at the moment. Though I dislike how it looks anyway. I have that type of beard growth that is visible even with a close shave.

I would like to try a straight razor, but it feels like such a hassle and I can just imagine cutting myself so much
    Same for me, had to shave three times a day when I was in the navy.

You know, I'll never get why people shave instead of trimming.

Like, it's universal that women prefer stubble over a clean shave. Then there's irritations, cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Same for me, had to shave three times a day when I was in the navy.
    Dear god, shaving with a straight razor on board a ship sounds like playing russian roulette. One stray wave and slice...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So question to the men on the board and I suppose possibly the women. Do any of you shave with a straight razor? I'm curious of the quality of a shave with one compared to a conventional razor?
    Definitely worth it if you can afford it. You'll probably make back the cost in increased performance if your work involves anything interpersonal, you look better and feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrryr View Post
    Dear god, shaving with a straight razor on board a ship sounds like playing russian roulette. One stray wave and slice...
    You are thinking of a boat at best, no ship will suddenly move the way you are implying unless it unexpectedly runs ashore.
    Ships are much too heavy for that to happen because of some wave.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    You know, I'll never get why people shave instead of trimming.

Like, it's universal that women prefer stubble over a clean shave. Then there's irritations, cuts.
    Obviously not universal...but even when you do trim you still need to have a clean edge or it just looks like ass. The only way to get a really clean edge is with a straight razor.

Deleted
    You are thinking of a boat at best, no ship will suddenly move the way you are implying unless it unexpectedly runs ashore.
    I got cut with a straight razor from a trainee barber once. It is not a big deal. You live. It is not a frigging Katana like some people seem to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I don't shave. Trim. With a machine. On length setting 7. Haven't shaved in 2 or 3 years.
    For summers this, except on 2 or 3 mm. In the winter I like my beard cause warm (3-7 cm).

Deleted
    Ohoi captain....

On topic: I considered a straight razor, but I fuck up even with a simple safety razor from time to time, so I opted not to even try with the straight razor.

10+ Year Old Account
    i use a electric razor.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    A straight razor is the smoothest shave you can get but it requires maintenance and has a steep learning curve, personally I use this kind of razor.

The blades cost pennies each, the handle will last a lifetime and they never get clogged up since you can release the blade to rinse in a fraction of a second.

10+ Year Old Account
    I shave with a straight razor and it was absolutely worth the learning curve.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Implying it even grows enough to be worth shaving